X

shinko tires 011 verge review

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hawkins View Post
    The 011s are sport/touring tires maybe they will last longer?
    The PR2 and PR3 are the best sport touring tires out there.

Remember that thetable is on a Connie 14 and not a Katana...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
      The PR2 and PR3 are the best sport touring tires out there.

Remember that thetable is on a Connie 14 and not a Katana...
      Ive never heard of a countour 14 I had to Google it. Looks bigger than the katana plus a hell of a motor difference.

Comment

Ive never heard of a countour 14 I had to Google it. Looks bigger than the katana plus a hell of a motor difference.
        Yup, hence why it eats tires.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Got some rain today on my way home roads were covered so I didn't push them but for regular riding in the rain they done well.....

Comment

I'm currently running sportmax's but after reading reviews and talking to a co-worker that has Shinko's on his GSXR 1000, I ordered a set of Shinko's. should be here today so hopefully I can get them mounted over the weekend and we'll see how they do.
            sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by slip304 View Post
              I'm currently running sportmax's but after reading reviews and talking to a co-worker that has Shinko's on his GSXR 1000, I ordered a set of Shinko's. should be here today so hopefully I can get them mounted over the weekend and we'll see how they do.
              There very touchy at first. So take time to break them in. What model did u get? Let us know what u think about them.

Comment

I installed my Conti's i had waiting for my bike on a customers bike... Ive ordered the Shinko Apex for my bike.
                I also installed Shinko Journey tires on a 96 concours. he loves them compared to the Avons he had on there before.

Im expecting the Apex tires to wear faster because they are a sport tire, but at $255 for a set, I can handle it !

I installed my Conti's i had waiting for my bike on a customers bike... Ive ordered the Shinko Apex for my bike.
                Im expecting them to wear faster but at $255 for a set, I can handle it !
                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-10-2012, 03:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  Im expecting the Apex tires to wear faster because they are a sport tire, but at $255 for a set, I can handle it !
                  Wow, crazy Canadian pricing... We're looking at about 180 for a Kat sized set without any price shopping.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I've got Shinko on both ends of my (712s i think) of my Ascot (100/90-19 front 110/80-18 rear) that cost me like $90 shipped (self installed) and they've been great.

I have a Shinko on the front of the Kat (rear still has some life, Michelin of some sort) and so far it seems fine, Shinkos are nearly impossible to beat for the price IMO.
                    Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want and deserve to get it good and hard. --
                    H. L. Mencken

Comment

Finally got the front Verge mounted. 300 miles on them today, nubs have Just worn off. Compound feels hard, but seems to hook up well. Managed to find a little damp pavement and tires didn't get out is shape at all.

It looks like this could be a good budget tire option.
                      Pics
                      Pics
                      No pics yet
                      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

yessssss!!!!!!!!!! lovin the shinko love!!! i just put on a set of shinko 010 apex tires on my 600 still breaking them in, have prob 80miles on em, but i love em so far. first set of tires ive purchased on the first bike ive owned so i dont have any comparison.......but i still think theyre great! interested to see how long theyre gonna last but if i get a year out of em i think theyll be worth it

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
                        Last edited by dblj033; 05-20-2012, 12:22 AM.

Comment

There very touchy at first. So take time to break them in. What model did u get? Let us know what u think about them.
                          I ordered 009 Ravens. I still haven't mounted them though. I decided to do chain and sprockets while I was at it and it's taking a little longer for delivery than expected. So once I get everything installed and mounted I'll give some feedback. It's good to see that others are giving positive reviews, something to look forward to.
                          sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

Well, I've got about 1700 on the front, and 700 in the rear, and I've hit most of the conditions I normally experience. Lots of twisties, back road to work, gravel, rain, and even some slab. The only thing I haven't hit is MPR (My Personal Racetrack, AKA Deals Gap.

I really want to find something lacking in these tires, so I can feel better about the stack of PR3s in my basement, but so far so good. They've stood up well to everything I've thrown at them.

They aren't quite as good as the PR3 in the wet, but for 95% of people, they are going to be great. They have a little less neutral profile than the PR3. PR3 has a very round profile which makes for a very neutral handling bike, the Verge has a pointier profile that makes it want to drop down a little faster into the corners. The rear also seems a little prone to squaring off, but at this point, that could just be my imagination, as it's not a very distinct flat spot, but in the right lighting...

I haven't hit cords yet, but so far, I could recommend them without hesitation. Solid tire at any price, made even better by the fact it's cheap.
                            Pics
                            Pics
                            No pics yet

Comment

Just a quick update: I F i n a l l y got my Shinko Ravens mounted. also did the 520 15/50 chain and sprockets swap. First thing I noticed was how bad my old tires really were. the bike sits up a little higher in the front end with the new tires (my front tire was pretty bad though and definately due for replacement) I've only put about 20-30 easy miles on them but corning is much smoother, the different profile will take a few curves to get used to.

Also, the 15/50 sprocket swap is a noticable bump in power around town. at highway speed I do feel the rpms being up a bit. between the 160/60 tire and the sprockets I'm not sure how much my speedo is off yet.

so far, I'm happy with the shinko's over the Sportmax's I had.
                              Attached Files
                              Last edited by slip304; 06-06-2012, 11:28 AM. Reason: add attachment
                              sigpic2006 GSX600F

Comment

Another update on the Verge...

Rear, 3100 miles, at the wear bars (But I feel the wear bars are taller than normal.) Front, 4100, plenty of life left. I'm pretty sure I can get another 1000 miles out of the rear, and I'll try, but I'll be happy to go back to the PR3.

Had a chance to make it to MPR. Had to drop a few pounds of pressure to get them to hook up, otherwise there was a little slip. Not as much feedback as the PR3, they never got properly sticky like other tires I've run, but they didn't just let go either, just enough slip to say, "hey jerky back it down a notch or two."

In the rain, now that's a different story. On proper clean pavement, they hooked up OK, just OK. Touch paint, tar snakes, metal, A leaf, or anything less than perfect asphalt, and it becomes a frightening ordeal. Made a couple passes where the back danced just crossing over the yellow lines.

Will I buy them again? Probably not.
                                Would I recommend them to someone else? Possibly, if they didn't ride in the rain and didn't put a stupid amount of miles on.
                                Dollar for dollar, my money goes further with the PR2 and 3.
                                Last edited by thetable; 06-11-2012, 11:39 AM.
                                Pics
                                Pics
                                No pics yet

Comment

Working...
                                X