X

Battery Problem!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Problem!!!

I NEED HELP ON CHARGING THE BATERY!! thanks for anyones help!

Purchase a low amperage battery charger at auto-zone, or advanced auto, etc... Should be a 2 amp charger.. clip red clip to posotive (+) side of battery, black to negative (-) side of battery. Turn on or plug in charger, then let sit overnight.
    Best solution is to purchase a battery tender an leave it plugged in when not ridden. Battery Tender should be able to be purchased from Cyber Poet on this site, or worst case, the stealership.
    Life's not always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride!! 94 Katana 600/750 and 99 Harley Electra-Glide

Comment

Wally World has them for cheap too.
      "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
      JOHN 16:33

Comment

sorry i forgot to say i just got the bike yesterday. its an 06 and i dont think the batterys bad i think its died. could it be that it only has 1 mile on it or is that just retarded? i dont know anythink about batterys!

Comment

If it has been sitting for a long period of time, it can go dead. If you are slightly mechanically savvy, remove the battery and take it to auto-zone. They will charge it up and do a load test to make sure your battery is ok.
          Life's not always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride!! 94 Katana 600/750 and 99 Harley Electra-Glide

Comment

(A) Max continuous charge rate for the 98+ is 900 milliamps (0.9 amp-hours). Do NOT use a 2-amp charger, such as a car charger that has a 2A setting. Pre-98's go from 1 to 1.2 Amps, depending on the year/model. Running too high a charge level can overheat the battery, causing the case to warp, and in worst-case scenarios, causing the battery to spray battery acid everywhere as the case fails.

(B) If the battery is dead, it may be dead-dead. Each time you discharge the battery to dead, it loses 25 - 40 % of it's remaining storage capacity. Discharge it too often, and it simply won't hold a charge any more. I have methods for testing a battery for this condition with an ohm meter listed on my Motorcycle Electrical Charging and Battery Problems, diagnostics, solutions page .

(C) IS THE KAT A CALIFORNIA MODEL? I ask because they have after-run fans that can decimate the battery fairly easily...

(D) Odds are you left your running lights on. In that case, small trickle-float charger overnight (900ma or under) and all should be good.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Last edited by The CyberPoet; 11-26-2007, 11:27 PM.
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

How often should you charge the battery over the winter?
              Forgiveness is what defines us. For without forgiveness, humans would have annihilated themselves with endless retributions.

2004 600 Kat

Billet Aluminum frame clamps and custom delrin sliders for 98+ Kats
              http://www.burley1.ca

Comment

Using a trickle/float charger means you can leave it connected the entire time you're not riding -- the charger will automatically throttle up & down as needed.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

CP so leaving a battery tender on is ok. I always thought if you left it on it would cook off or evaporate the battery fluid faster. But I guess the tender doent overcharge it so no excess heat.
                  sigpic

Comment

i think the battery tender has something to keep it from cooking a battery. to me the name implies that.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by AKA AllyKat View Post
                      CP so leaving a battery tender on is ok. I always thought if you left it on it would cook off or evaporate the battery fluid faster. But I guess the tender doent overcharge it so no excess heat.
                      As long as the max charge rate on the trickle/float charger is lower than the max charge rate recommended on the battery, it shouldn't be an issue unless you have a heavy drain going on the battery at the same time (such as headlights on). At minimum floating-charge rate after the battery is full, most of the better chargers drop to something like 0.05 amp-hours, which is basically nothing.

Regular maintenance batteries (stock on pre-98's) should have their fluids topped off before winterization and again when they get de-winterized (both times with distilled water); maint-free batteries (stock on 98+) normally salvage the fluids unless they get way-over-charged and don't need any topping-off.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                      X