X

My 1990 Katana 600 TURBO build

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 91_gsx600F katana View Post
    ...I heard that regular rubber fuel line doesn't react well with brake fluid and it will "sweat" the fluid through the hose to the outside or allow moisture in. Basically I need 12" of EPDM rubber hose which is what is used for rubber brake lines.
    I haven't put fluid in the system yet so we'll see. I went with it because the OEM line is the exact same stuff Honda used for the fuel line. Seemed like a safe bet.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I really really hope you pull this threw man!! I might just have to take a lil trip sometime an see this with my own 2 eyes. Your knowledge an experience with your race cars makes me anxious and hopeful to see this get done, best of luck!
      94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        I haven't put fluid in the system yet so we'll see. I went with it because the OEM line is the exact same stuff Honda used for the fuel line. Seemed like a safe bet.
        I hope it works out too! I actually got some brake specific rubber line from summit racing with my other parts. Company is willwood which is a huge aftermarket brake company and they sell 30" of replacement line for there remote reservoir systems... Only cost 5$ basically so I should be good. Nowi gotta find a good spot to mount it and high enough that it will gravity feed the master.

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
        I really really hope you pull this threw man!! I might just have to take a lil trip sometime an see this with my own 2 eyes. Your knowledge an experience with your race cars makes me anxious and hopeful to see this get done, best of luck!
        Thanks man, I know enough but I learn something everyday it seems. This will be my first turbo build so I'm excited. Rather do it on my bike than my firebird and see what I do wrong lol.

I'll get it working but tuning seems where the issue lies. I'm going to put the stock jetting back in and see how that works. If I get the pitot tubes designed right it should work great. I'll def bring it to that bike meet/show we talked about so u can take a look.
        Last edited by 91_gsx600F katana; 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
        1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
        fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
        55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
        R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
        Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

sounds good man!

Comment

Update. Got a good bit done this weekend.

I had to modify my carboard template for the plenum as the CC volume was just too large and had to be smaller to fit better under the bike (with fairings on and BOV attached). I had to shrink it by an inch deep and increase the angle of the slant on the sides. Otherwise its the same.

I then started making it out of metal (22gauge)... this was tough lol. Basically I cut the original template out of metal and then decided after to make sure it fit with the fairings on (which it didnt so well) then I had to modify the steel that was already cut and bent. Basically I had to cut some of the bends out (I was trying to minimize welding) so I ended up having to weld alittle more.

Plenum specs come out as 1500cc's total volume (was like 2700cc) without the runner volume to each carb as well as the charge pipe. So it should work with even a 1100 katana motor. Each tube to the carb is 2" x 3/4" length and TIG welded on the inside for best sealing, same goes for the charge pipe tube which is 2" x 1" length. In the pic you can see the cut/modified 2.5x1.5" rubber adapter that will attach the carbs to the plenum. They should be able to handle 10psi without a problem as the rubber coupler is very tight (and tough to get on) around the steel tubes and carbs so Im not worried about sealing.

The #5 pick shows the back half (about 75% of the welding) fully TIG welded (still need to do the front) and the marking for the BOV valve placement. I have a ton of room under the plenum and could stick the BOV down there but I want to save that for the fuel pump and regulator.

I need to decide on a Pitot tube design and then weld those in. Either parallel/inline to air flow or perpendicular/across the charge pipe entry. See pics. Ive heard that the parallel is better but makes fabrication much harder. I would prob just use 5/16 or 3/8" steel tubing for the pitot size.

Waiting on my 02 bung and wastegate to finish up the exhaust and then will wrap everything in header wrap. Should have the fuel pump and all the 1/8NPT bungs tmrw for the bungs on the plenum for Boost gauge/BOV/Wastegate/fuel regulator etc. I was thinking of getting a vacuum manifold so I only have to run one line from the plenum to the manifold and then I can run up to 6 things from the vacuum manifold and make my life alittle easier.
            Attached Files

Comment

wow very nice work, good to see some progress
              2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Thanks!

Today I came home to a bunch of packages received the bunk of my parts!

Fuel pump
                15psi boost gauge
                1/8"NPT weld in bungs
                1/4"NPT bung
                SS 02 bung
                rubber brake reservoir line
                38mm waste gate (bigger and heavier than I thought!)
                25ft of 5/16" fuel line rated to 50psi
                15psi fuel pressure gauge.
                Attached Files

Comment

Feel like its x-mas?

Good luck getting it all together!
                  1998 Katana 750
                  1992 Katana 1100
                  2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
                    Feel like its x-mas?

Good luck getting it all together!
                    Not exactly! But I do love opening the boxes lol.

Thanks, It will be fun. Im thinking now of not welding bungs into the plenum and using the nipple on the charge pipe on the turbo to run the vacuum/boost block which has 6 nipple fittings to feed all my stuff. This would make my life much simpler but then I have 15$ worth of weld on NPT fittings for future projects!.

Need to finish welding the plenum!

My list of things to do are as follows.
                    1.) finish welding the plenum
                    2.) figure out and weld in Pitot tubes
                    3.) figure out where I want to put BOV
                    4.) figure out and install wastegate into exhaust.
                    5.) make my own petcock delete with internal return line and port for fuel pump inlet.
                    6.) mount and wire up fuel pump
                    7.) mount, wire and run tubing for boost gauge
                    8.) relocate rear brake reservoir (will have to be after Wastegate install)
                    9.) weld in SS 02 bung and wrap exhaust
                    10.) fabricate turbo pressure line to plenum
                    11.) route oil pressure/return line to turbo

Next week I have a few days off so I should be able to bang these out fast. And I hope so as riding season is soon approaching!

Comment

only question I have is what is the pitot?

Comment

Originally posted by crazycraven420 View Post
                        only question I have is what is the pitot?
                        It's a tube put either parallel or perpendicular to the incoming air stream and it references incoming air speed/boost. This is what you connect to the vent tubes on the carbs which references the bowls to the incoming boost and allows easy transition of fuel vs airflow. Basically trying to tune for that transition without a pitot tube would be extremely hard so it helps alot and makes my life easier. They are used on airplanes to measure wind speed and a bunch of other things. This is an overly simplified explanation and more in depth info can be found on the net. I posted pics of pitot tube examples a few posts back with pics of my plenum. I believe the last 2 pics with the tubes in the middle of the pressure tube as well as the tube with holes running across the pressure tube.

Comment

I gotcha, that explanation is sufficient

Comment

Update. worked alittle on it tonight after work.

I figured out a good spot for the wastegate. Basically right where the fuse box/panel used to be. I removed the fuse panel/box and moved it above the rear master cylinder. This opened the area enough to tuck the wastegate in between the rear subframes thus allowing me to hide it under the rear fairing and make it less noticable but still away from the wheel. I cut the exhaust and fulled welded the peice that fits from the Vband to the turbo and welded in the wastegate extension. All i need to do is figure out what I want to do with the wastegate exit. Should I tie it into the original real exiting exhaust at the hard perpendicular angle which its at? or run its own seperate exhaust pipe along side the current pipe but at a smaller DIA of 1.5" vs the 2" thats currently there?

Originally I wanted to tie the wastegate exit into the turbo exit undertail exhaust. But now Im looking at the the additional DIA/flow of the wastegate adding to that 2" undertail exhaust and wonder if it would hurt performance to tie it into the 2" exhaust at the perpendicular angle which its at. This would make my life easier for plumbing etc. Or should I take the time to run an additional 1.5" pipe along side the current 2" pipe just for the wastegate exit. Ive heard that running the wastegate exit out of the exhaust (like a seperate dump pipe) that when the wastegate activates that it will sound like a nasty exhaust leak. Remember I have no muffler but the turbo actually acts like a muffler.

what do you guys think? tie it into the existing undertail exhaust? or make its own seperate exit?

pics show the work so far.

I also have no idea where Im going to put the rear brake reserviour now.... might have to relocate it big time to the other side of the bike! Yikes!
                            Attached Files

Comment

Got some more done. THe waste gate is fully done and welded up. Ended up connecting right into the existing undertail turbo exit pipe. AS it was already there and trying to add another dump pipe would have been too much work! ALso the single undertail exit is much cleaner. Plus I thought about how loud the dump would be compared to putting it through a muffler and since it would be run right along side the existing exhaust it would just be as loud as running it into the exhaust since there is no muffler and its basically a straight pipe. when the wastegate opens it should be louder since the turbo isnt muffling the noise at all.

The wastegate will hopefully rest under the rear fairing I believe with no mods. That way the only thing entering the fairing from the outside is the exhaust to the turbo.

Exhaust is finally complete! and wrapped in the pretty DEI titanium exhaust wrap. Also in the pics show the SS 02 bung welded in and ready for tunning purposes if needed.
                              Attached Files

Comment

now thats sexy. and I just realized how close that turbo is to your nuts.
                                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Working...
                                X