Emissions Reduction

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emissions Reduction

What's up ya'll?,

I have a question regarding emissions. I have an '02 Kat 600 with a Scorpion Slip-On and a stage-1 jet kit. Not sure what jet kit manufacturer..PO have the work done. No other engine mods, i.e. headers. My question is, what can be done to reduce the amount of exhaust emmitted from the pipe? I'm stationed in Japan, and before I can register the bike, I have to have an emissions test done. I don't believe that they test so much for db's, more likely for what's going into the air. I've heard that the '04 and newer stock pipes have a catalyst in them, which reduces emissions. Since I obviously don't have that year bike or pipe, what can I do to ensure that it'll pass? I'm afraid to tinker with the mixing screws on the carbs, for fear of throwing the whole system off.

Any help and/or advice would be strongly appreciated.
    You got it.
    Get on it.

PM The CyberPoet

Comment

Two basic choices:
      take the jetting back to stock, OR
      Lean out the jetkit you have to pass whatever testing requirements exist there.

I think I might have the stock jetting for your bike around here, left over from when I stuck the Ivan's kit into mine. If so, that's a fast fix.

To give you any decent advice how much to lean out an aftermarket kit, we'll have to know which brand it is (and depending on brand, which size jets) -- or you'll need to take the bike to a bike shop and have them retune it on an exhaust analyzer.

If I recall right, if you get a sign-off from a motorcycle shop in Japan, it waivers the actual inspection at the inspection facility (just take the sign-off form to the inspection facility instead).

Here's some help on identifying which jetkit is in there (comparing needles for the 98+ -- the one marked K&N is the same as the DynoJet brand):

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Oy. I read something about having a bike registered in Japan on another site. I think the bottom line was that it must have all the stock parts on the bike, or they will fail it out right.

I *think* they said it's easier just to buy something there, and then sell it before you leave.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

You could also try bumping up the idle a bit. When I was driving a 65 Mustang in Tucson, late 70's, rumor had it that you would fly thru emissions testing if you did that to older cars. Seemed to work for me, altho I always kept my car in top condition, too.
          "Stevie B" Boudreaux

I ride: '01 Triumph Sprint ST

Projects: Honda CB650 Bobber projects I, II and III

Take care of: 81 Honda CM400,72 Suzuki GT550

Watch over/advise on: 84 Honda Nighthawk 700S (now my son's bike)

For sale, or soon to be: 89 Katana 1100, 84 Honda V45 Magna, 95 Yamaha SECA II, 99 GSXR600, 95 ZX-6, 84 Kaw. KZ700, 01 Bandit 1200, 74 CB360.

Comment

If it's just emissions levels testing, there are many chemicals out there that will make the mix go lean (Ketone comes to mind) for as long as it takes to burn through the fuel. The question would be how much to mix in to compensate (1 - 1.5 ounces per gallon should do the trick unless the bike is running really rich at idle); you need to mix it the same day you visit the inspection station and make sure the engine is good and hot when you pull in (hot engines pull better numbers normally).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
            X