X

Broke my crash cherry....56k beware

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you missed my point entirely.

if you had correct body position - and a lot of lean you could have decked your knee to the ground - keep the hard parts from digging in and tossing you off.

i imagine you didn't do that because you have the lack of skill or the lack of knee sliders on leather pants ( or both ).

harsh?, yes. but i bet you were not at max lean & off the bike. i have in very few cases worn jeans for a quick run to the bank or something - i feel very uneasy railing into a corner - thinking how stupid - i should have just put my full suit on.

i do agree, if entering too hot - you may do everything perfect and still not make it - but a gixxer on good tires - with no oncoming traffic and a good look at the corner ??

maybe you could prove me wrong - but i'd need to see the whole corner.

tim

Comment

Bike in avatar and profile == same bike. Bike in pic has red plastic... Just confused about what bike you wrecked or if bike in profile/avatar is yours?

Comment

why thank you.

Comment

Looks like a great curve/road to ride.. sorry it went south on ya man. Everybody gets the itch to push the limits alittle when you're out riding.. just becareful and thank the man upstairs you and bike are still in 1 piece

Comment

Originally posted by AkBigN
            Originally posted by Phoenix_Rising
            Originally posted by AkBigN
            Have to admit..not so glad to be a member of this one, but thanks for having me.
            No offense, but if you're not glad to be a member of the club why does it seem like you wanted to join so badly. If you were trying to kill yourself on public roads at least you did it on what appears to be a fairly barren road away from other innocent people.

It seems like KR members haven gotten rather lax when it comes to commenting on these kinds of actions. I remember when I first joined you'd get your head bit off for stuff not even half as bad as what you did. Whatever though, like I said if you want to try and commit suicide do it somewhere you don't have the posibility of taking out an innocent person in the process.
            Thanks for the tip. Everybody has all the answers when it didn't happen to them.
            Oh trust me I never said that I had all the answers, I'm simply saying that no matter how many times you've run that road you can never truly predict whats going to happen.

You just compounded things running that fast no matter how confident in your skills you are or how much your vetran friends were telling you that you were riding. Could they have simply been saying that to keep your confidence up? Possibly.

I still stick by my original post saying that running triple digit speeds on any public street is downright stupid and like I said before if you want to run those kinds of speeds take it to a track.

You're also right that I don't know what exactly happened because I wasn't there but what I do know is that you advertizing that you were doing triple digit speeds on public roads in a way comes off as bragging and very squidly. Another thing about "proper riding gear" Steel toed boots may do in a pinch and I'm sure the'll protect your toes in a lot of instances but there are other parts of your foot like your ankles that are susceptible to injury. Proper riding gear would have been boots actually designed for use on a motorcycle, you're also very lucky your jeans weren't torn to shreds.

You can ask anyone here thats seen me post and I'm sure they'll tell you that I'm not one to run my mouth when it comes to these types of threads and tell people what they should or shouldn't do because I'm not the most seasoned rider in the world and I know I make mistakes, but mine are for the most part body positioning and getting a feel for riding the bike. Yes I've ridden double digit speeds before but I was well within posted speed limits.

I've got enough common sense to realise what my limits are and yes right now they are well below what the bike can do but I'm also smart enough not to exceede them no matter how confident I'm feeling. Doing triple digit speeds on any kind of public road no matter how well you ride is plain idiotic and suicidal.

I've said all I have to and won't comment in this thread anymore.
            Originally posted by AbeezieSoNeezie

fact: a yammie is a girls bike
            fact: more that one girl rides yammies therefore yammies = a bunch of girls
            fact: girls lie

therefore, the following equation is true.
            girls = yammah
            yammah = a bunch of liars

Comment

Re: Broke my crash cherry....56k beware

I came up on a turn and I thought I saw a sign for 55mph.... <snip>
              Hehe--I thought I saw where this one would go after the first sentence in the original post. Oh, well.

The only thing I can add to the gear conversation is what folks did to a rider from a local forum who walked away from a 75mph get-off in gloves, a helmet, street boots and *all* denim without enough of a scrach to waste a Powder-Puff bandaid on. The comment that ended (and deleted) the thread was a request for the rider to crash at the same speed on the same corner five more times each in denim and full leathers and report back with a review of the pluses and minuses of gear, with extra credit if he could post medical care receipts and the square footage of the skin graft totals.

Glad you made out ok; bet it wouldn't happen the same way nine more times in a row. Safe riding!

Comment

A wise man once said "The biggest err is to not be punished for your mistakes."

okay, so I don't know if anyone has said that before or not, but i believe in it.
                What the deuce!?!

Comment

here is the important part from the article link below article:

"Tests of the abrasion resistance of popular fabrics showed that denim, light leather and certain nylons wore through after sliding along less than 5 ft. of tarmac. Kevlar stayed intact for about 20 ft. Competition-weight leather lasted for over 80 ft. "

tim

Comment

Originally posted by trinc
                    http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/motor_cycles/1268591.html?page=1&c=y
                    Good Article, and great point, Tim!

Proper protection-grade leather is chemically hardened & compressed at the curing stage, increasing it's strength over standard leather in the same thickness used in most harley-wear. It also has the advantage of the shortest stopping distance/fastest speed shedding compared to any of the standard materials used in MC wear construction, which reduces the likeliness of striking an object with sufficient force to kill or maim you.

The following is a repost from a couple other threads:
                    Basically it boils down to these simple facts:
                    There is no known product which provides the same abrasion resistance, flame protection, sliding-stopping distance, and general protection to motorcycle riders as various types of leather. While there are manmade fabrics that can provide superior results in any one category (such as nomex being better at fuel-fed flame resistance), and a few that provide similar protection in two categories, nothing on the market beats leather for protective clothing in real-world motorcycling conditions. This is also why world-cup MC racers wear leather (usually kangaroo leather at that); if there was something better for the task, these guys would be all over it.
                    As long as we (as a society) eat a ton of beef, it makes no sense not to utilize the subsequent by-products to protect ourselves as best as possible when undertaking inherently risky endeavors.
                    If you want the real deal, look for Kangaroo leather -- it'll be multiple pieces (because Kangaroo's aren't as big as cows), but it will about 2.5 times as tough for the thickness.

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Comment

nice to know your ok, but had u ever been on this road before....but i guess at 100+... 30 does look like 55.... merry christmas, happy new year, happy birthday, happy 4th of july, and god blessed who on that one!!!!!!! boy u got lucky!!!!!!!!
                        The only way to go some where you have never been before is to get lost!!!

Comment

Slow the hell down. You want to go that fast, hit the track. That's all I'm gonna say.
                          -Tiny

'05 Katana 600

Comment

You're a moron.

Oh and thanks for driving up our insurance rates and giving the rest of us a bad rap too.
                            "The problem with most motorcycles is the nut that connects the seat to the handlebars."

Comment

you seem to be luckier than you are smart
                              learn from the mistakes or your doomed
                              to repeat them
                              ALWAYS THE REAL!!!!

93ZX11D Candy Wine Red
                              Cardon Fiber D&D Full Exhaust,
                              Vortex Sprockets 1dwn frnt 2up back
                              She looks like Hell but is a True Battle Cat!
                              no pun intended
                              07ZX10 Special Edition Stock
                              09ZX14 in the making Need a lil more$$$1st
                              99Kat600 Custom Paint By Kali's AirBrushing, Chrome rims, Chrome GrabBar,Chrome Kickstand, Chrome Heel Gaurds, Braada Cowl,Lowered,Mesh Mod, More mods & Chrome to come

Comment

Working...
                              X