Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Chain tension effects on mileage & perf.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chain tension effects on mileage & perf.

I just adjusted my chain last week. I've had the bike for over 2 years and put over 12k miles on it (bought it with 5k miles) and had never adjusted the chain. Needless to say it was quite loose.

Throughout the summer I've been getting about 40-41 mpg. I filled up right after the chain adjustment and just refilled today. I averaged 44 mpg. Same routes I've been riding, same type of riding, etc. I'll see if I can follow that up with the next tank for some more conclusive proof.

I did notice it shifts much nicer now. Before the adjustment I felt I had to compensate much more with the throttle between shifts to keep it smooth. Now it feels like it should.

I'm just wondering if mileage improved by 10%, does this have the same effect on power reaching the rear wheel? Hard to tell just by riding - so many things feel slightly different now and I can't separate any increase in power.

Thoughts on this???
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

2 years without adjusting your chain? Just wondering if you ever cleaned and lubricated it?
    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Yes - I clean and lube it on a regular basis. I average about 750 miles between lubes and probably clean it every 2-3 lubes or sooner - depending on condition.

Funny thing is I've seen other bikes go by when I was in the car and noticed how loose their chain was...apparently that's how bad mine was. Glad I finally checked it.
      PurpleonBlack

Comment

Originally posted by J. Kidd
        Yes - I clean and lube it on a regular basis. I average about 750 miles between lubes and probably clean it every 2-3 lubes or sooner - depending on condition.

Funny thing is I've seen other bikes go by when I was in the car and noticed how loose their chain was...apparently that's how bad mine was. Glad I finally checked it.
        If you clean your chain you should lube it as well. Cleaning takes away the lubrication so you need to recoat the chain.

Comment

Yes, I lube it after its cleaned. Sometimes its clean enough and I spray some chain wax on it. After about 2 or 3 times of doing this, it needs to be cleaned and relubed. I clean it with WD40 and then spray it with some chain wax.

You guys are great!

Thanks for caring so much about my chain and its health!
          PurpleonBlack

Comment

i've never "cleaned" my chain... just lube it. i didn't realize it needed to be cleaned since its sealed.
            I'm completely in favor of the separation of Church and State. My idea is that these two institutions screw us up enough on their own, so both of them together is certain death. - George Carlin

Join the Zietgeist Movement
            http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...3847743189197#

Comment

i am doubting a loose chain will make a 10% hp diff at the rear wheel. as for 10% better gas mileage....doubt that as well. a loose chain is more of a safety issue than a performance issue, i would think. 10% difference in perfomance issues is when you start referring to a new exhaust, air-filter...stuff like that. they do better than 10%....but that is like minimum. there are performance chains, but these are designed to be stronger and better....but do not claim to add hp.

if you calculated that by going through a tank of gas, you can't come to any real conclusion. it is impossible to ride "exactly" the same way from one tank of gas to another. 10 minutes more stopped in traffic.....5 or 6 more redlights.....all that stuff adds up to burnt gas while sitting there idling.
              quality of gas from one pump to another. it just all adds up and can vary your mpg from one tank to another. it is totally impossible to have a constant 40mpg (or whatever mpg) each and every time you drive a vehilce. it has to vary. 10% sounds reasonable.
              I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I use kerosene to clean it, it also lubes it a litlle at the same time instead of drying it out. Then afterwards I'll give it a good lube.
                R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Originally posted by J. Kidd
                  Yes, I lube it after its cleaned. Sometimes its clean enough and I spray some chain wax on it. After about 2 or 3 times of doing this, it needs to be cleaned and relubed. I clean it with WD40 and then spray it with some chain wax.

You guys are great!

Thanks for caring so much about my chain and its health!
                  i thought i read some where that wd40 is bad for o-rings in chain and not to use it u might want to check on that

Comment

if your doin a lot of city style driving.... i think that a loose chain can definitly "absorb" a lot of your fuel milage and power. i use the comparison of a broken motor mount in a car.... a(n automatic) car that will usually spin the tires off the line usually wont so easily with a broken motor mount, cause power is wasted in twisting the motor..... like jerkin a loose chain on a bike. i may be totally wrong with that, but i think my logic works. but in any case, a properly adjusted chain makes for a more comfortable ride, and im sure increases the life of the chain/sprockets.

Comment

Originally posted by evil-eye
                      i thought i read some where that wd40 is bad for o-rings in chain and not to use it u might want to check on that
                      Maybe you read about chain maintenance here or here? Maybe you read about WD-40 vs. O-ring VOCs here?

Comment

A sloppy chain (bike) or a broken motor mount (car) gives slack between your right hand (bike) or foot (car) and the driving wheel(s). In a corner, that leads to weight shift forward or aft, which upsets the suspension and can spin (car) or dump (bike) you in a hurry.

Comment

Too loose a chain in dangerous, but too tight a chain is usually more dangerous (more chance of snapping it, and far higher wear rates on both the chain and sprockets). I keep mine around 1.0 - 1.1" for that reason. A tighter chain (say 0.8" - 0.85") will make the throttle seem more responsive, at least initially, but will speed how fast the chain gets slack again due to elongation of the o-rings & roller bearing mounts... If I were racing, I'd keep it at 0.85" or so -- for the race -- then change it back.

As for the change in mileage:
                          While a worn chain and sprockets can zap 10% off your power-output, simply tightening a chain that wasn't beyond spec already shouldn't make any significant difference in fuel mileage (changing it for new equipment can though).
                          I'd hazard to guess that the fuel mileage differences were caused by your own driving habits and the fact that it felt more responsive (thus less throttle input)...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I didnt change chain tension from 6000 to 13000 on my 03 and the differences iseen besides haveing to remove 3 links to even get the chain to fit, and yes I know it means i need a new chain, but what i noticed after closly examing it was that with the very loose chain it has to re tensify on top every time you accelerate which cause a loss of immediate power to wheel and if it was like mine it was slapping the swing arm which can cause it to wear you sprocket down and possibly skip, yes i did it on mine thats when i fixed it.

If you want better gas milage, change your sprocket, move up to 16 or 17 front or down in rear. Cyberpoet has a very handy link to sprocket info. I can get you a front sprocket for about 15 bucks. Just change mine today.
                            www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
                            Katana Frame Sliders
                            The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
                            98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
                            I couldn't have done this without you.

Comment

Working...
                            X