X

Kat down

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy mine.......not.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Just saying...you have mentioned possibly selling it before...
      I think you even said 3k but not sure how accurate my memory is being there.
      Your knees heal up enough to let you start riding again yet?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Check came in Thursday, deposited Friday, went shopping Saturday. 4 and a half months later, I've got a Kat again. Picked up a 98 750 for 1500. Has 20k miles and needs some to, but with a new to me bike it's almost all stuff I'd do anyways. Only critical thing is a rear tire, it's 17 years old.

Has a Yoshi can, and I'm pretty damn sure it's a full system. The headers are a different configuration than on my old post 600.
        Bike runs slightly lean and a little rough under 6k rpm. Hasn't been ridden much the last 5 years though, so likely just needs some fuel moved through it and addressing the lean issue. (Jet kit anyone?)
        Suspension is soft (duh). Need to get my already upgraded shock sent out for a rebuild, then that'll get dropped in. Need to check if 600 and 750 springs are the same - if they are, then drop the racetech springs in. Needs new brake lines, but I was banking on whatever I ended up with needing to upgrade to SS.
        Clutch adjustment is slightly off, no biggie. CA emissions equipment is still intact so...it's gotta loose some weight...again no biggie, was likely the case with a new bike
        Bearings all around likely need cleaning/regreasing. Easy, and would happen regardless on a new to me bike. Round it out by lubing some cables, check valve lash, and carb sync, and good to go.
        Maybe some minor fairing repair at some point.
        The nice thing is that it's running well enough now that I don't have to do all that before riding. As soon as it has a new rear I can start putting miles on, and work my way through the maintenance list.

Pics to follow sometime in the next few days.
        Last edited by shpielers; 08-13-2017, 10:57 AM.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
          Check came in Thursday, deposited Friday, went shopping Saturday. 4 and a half months later, I've got a Kat again. Picked up a 98 750 for 1500. Has 20k miles and needs some to, but with a new to me bike it's almost all stuff I'd do anyways. Only critical thing is a rear tire, it's 17 years old.

Has a Yoshi can, and I'm pretty damn sure it's a full system. The headers are a different configuration than on my old post 600.
          Bike runs slightly lean and a little rough under 6k rpm. Hasn't been ridden much the last 5 years though, so likely just needs some fuel moved through it and addressing the lean issue. (Jet kit anyone?)
          Suspension is soft (duh). Need to get my already upgraded shock sent out for a rebuild, then that'll get dropped in. Need to check if 600 and 750 springs are the same - if they are, then drop the racetech springs in. Needs new brake lines, but I was banking on whatever I ended up with needing to upgrade to SS.
          Clutch adjustment is slightly off, no biggie. CA emissions equipment is still intact so...it's gotta loose some weight...again no biggie, was likely the case with a new bike
          Bearings all around likely need cleaning/regreasing. Easy, and would happen regardless on a new to me bike. Round it out by lubing some cables, check valve lash, and carb sync, and good to go.
          Maybe some minor fairing repair at some point.
          The nice thing is that it's running well enough now that I don't have to do all that before riding. As soon as it has a new rear I can start putting miles on, and work my way through the maintenance list.

Pics to follow sometime in the next few days.
          Same springs, different length spacers (to make up for the difference in length of 11mm between 600 and 750 tubes). You may want to "tune" the spacer tube length anyways for preload.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Cool, thanks Krey
            1998 Katana 750
            1992 Katana 1100
            2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Sweet. Have fun with it!!
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Got the brakes bled. Not so wooden feeling anymore. Hopefully order the SS lines this week sometime, but until those get installed, no reason not to bleed them. Also lubed up all the lock cylinders so it doesn't feel like I'm going to break the key off anymore. Baby steps.
                Wanted to get a rear tire Sunday, but life got in the way, going to have to wait until Saturday.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

shpielers, I had a idea last night that I wanted to tell you about.
                  If you still have a good triple tree from your wrecked bike, I'm thinking that it will fit your Kat-11. Then, you use the K-11 fork legs inside that triple since they are both 41mm. This should eliminate the stack of washers on calipers. I really think I might be on to something here. What do you think ?
                  I'm under the impression the Kat-600 legs are about 1.5-3" shorter, so forget that unless you really want to go low...extremely low.
                  EDIT: If it works, that means pre98 fender mount is required...$5 on ebay
                  Last edited by katanarider; 08-18-2017, 10:10 AM.
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

Interesting. I've got the upper triple since it was a 750 I got for the bar rise. I'd need to look at getting a lower and the stem length on the triple vs the neck length on the 1100. The forks would definitely fit, but I don't know off the top of my head if that would eliminate the spacers. I'd have to double check what bike the front wheel came from for the 17" wheel. If it was a post Kat...then...hory sheet! I think it came from a pre Kat though so it might be a little different.
                    Definitely something to look into though.
                    1998 Katana 750
                    1992 Katana 1100
                    2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Well, I can say this for certain. The forks are narrower on the 600 & 750 because I had to make a custom fender mount for my k-11 to get the b-12 fender to work. The b12 and pre all use the same fender mount. I believe some early post models have a similar fender mount that will work as well The k11 is definitely wider, hence the need for the spacers. I've also got a feeling the 600 & 750 front wheel will swap too. This winter I'm going to swap my front wheels because the 1100 has a newer front tire and my 600s tire is worn.

Comment

Hey, if you take your digital calipers and tell me the spread on that triple, I'll do the same with my Pre-98. I can find out exact numbers that way !
                        Do inner to inner in millimeters !

Comment

I'll be working on the 750 in a couple hours, I'll (if I remember...) get that measured.
                          1998 Katana 750
                          1992 Katana 1100
                          2006 Ninja 250

Comment

Completely edited !

My digital calipers are only 6 inches long. Therefore, I had to use a tape measure...
                            1996 Kat-600: Give or take a mm = 14.5cm/145mm
                            1988 Kat-1100: Give or take a mm = 17.5cm/175mm
                            This is inner fork tube to inner fork tube.
                            The washer spacing on the K-11 is 20 mm total (both sides together)...that means the pre-98 600cc would be too narrow by 10mm !
                            Yours is a post-98 600cc, correct ?
                            I'm wondering if there is a difference in the 600 & 750 spacing now as well

EDIT.. Just thought of this too...the early 90s Bandit 600 has 41mm forks also !
                            Last edited by katanarider; 08-29-2017, 05:22 PM.

Comment

600/750 should be the same. When swapping out to 750 bars, you only need the upper triple tree, not the lower. Ergo same spacing.

Sorry, haven't had a chance to measure yet. Have the calipers out and on the table and everything, just life keeps happening.
                              1998 Katana 750
                              1992 Katana 1100
                              2006 Ninja 250

Comment

I can provide some measurements if you guys need, but I'm not sure atm what you guys are trying to do? lol.

Krey
                                93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                                X