California DMV Is Out To Kill Us All

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mannn Cali laws suck! So glad I live in Texas haha
    Shit happens when you party naked

You're supposed to be team muscle...don't make me come over there and make you team pus*y! - F&F6

Comment

Originally posted by SRsage View Post
      Also I have a family friend who works for Hayward DMV and he stated the bike does not require XXX number of miles but it MUST be able to pass California smog. Putting 7500 miles on a bike is equivalent ot putting 40k on a car. My own brother registered his Honda Shadow 750cc here with 2400 miles and it is an Arizona model.
      Bikes get smogged?? I've been riding for 4 years and never had to do that, am I just lucky?
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
        Bikes get smogged?? I've been riding for 4 years and never had to do that, am I just lucky?
        I believe I meant it must have a suitable emissions sticker on the bike. Not "smogged" so to speak. They will pass a bike in Cali with race pipes. Also the distinguishing factor I think that the DMV probably told him is that they distinguish a "NEW" and a "USED" vehicle based on mileage (under 7500 miles is considered a new vehicle) and also based on year produced. If they are kind enough to realize it is 2013 and his bike is a 2006 a lot of the times that gets you the registration.
        Last edited by SRsage; 05-23-2013, 02:21 AM.
        2006 Suzuki GSXF-750 Katana

"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

Comment

If you buy it out of state and want to bring it into California to register it it must either:
          Have Cali emission sticker
          or have 7500 miles

There's no two ways about it, unless it's these two ways:

If it's your bike, you owned it in a previous state and bring it in to Cali, it doesn't matter if it has the sticker or the mileage.

If your vehicle is stolen or destroyed while you're traveling out of state and you needed to buy a vehicle to get back home, you can register that, too, without sticker or mileage.
          2006 GSX600F

Comment

Hi!

Comment

Wow. So it's been nearly a year since the Kat caught my eye. Time freakin' flies!

I registered my ride in Nevada - what a state. They didn't care if I wanted to ride my bike across the former Soviet Union. They took my money - a fair and nominal fee - and registered my bike.

The fee should be coming up soon. A year on the Katana.

Most comfortable bike I have ridden. Excellent mirrors. Handles pretty damn good and I'm still on Macadams. Took 'er on a 200 mile day trip. Hit an area in HIGH WIND ADVISORY. Bike handles in a most fearful way in a cross wind. It was 35 mph, 50mph gusts. Worst I've ever been in, in any case. Oh yeah, it was night. And, oh yeah, I should have had a clear visor, not smoked. Didn't expect to make the trip last into night time.

The bike never missed a beat, never failed a start. Crappy tires worked amazingly. My backside was as comfortable as I could ever have hoped.

I love this big bike.
              2006 GSX600F

Comment

Sounds like it's time to start modding!!

You going to keep it registered in NV or have you racked up the miles to get that done in CA? Registering my 06 600 runs ~ $110, not sure how that compares to NV, but should give you a ballpark how much it might cost to do here.
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

ouch!

A hundred and what? Geez, I was crying about $57 in NJ. To put it in perspective, my CAR cost $38 to register.
                  sigpic
                  '91 Katana 600 custom right-side shift, Yoshimura Exhaust, Vinyl Carbon Fiber wrapped.

'09 Aprilia Mana 850 Carbon Fiber body work, Leo Vince Exhaust, HID conversion

Comment

Haha, yeah, we get bent over for everything. $248 for my truck registration.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Haha, $15 in Missouri for me.
                      - Purplehaze
                      All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

$68 for my '91 750...
                        http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                        http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                        '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                        "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                        "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

$57.37 in Colorado for my '98 600.

Comment

My CBR is $105. The Katana should be around the same, I'm guessing, but it's a year newer.

My bike is up to about 6880 miles. I haven't gotten my renewal notice from NV yet, but I suspect it'll be $70. I want to register it in California because they'll nail me if I get caught. Like, I don't think they'll pull me over just for having a NV plate - it's a military town and there are plates of every flavor. But if I get pulled over for something else, then they'll stick it in deep.
                            2006 GSX600F

Comment

My Nevada registration was $67. All around, I just really like the way Nevada DMV handles things. It always feels like they're saving taxpayer money.

More importantly, I've hit the Magical California Number of 7500 miles. I can register in CA whenever I want now, no more grief. Except that I just paid for NV... so...

Hope I don't get caught.

Knock wood.
                              2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post
                                Wow. So it's been nearly a year since the Kat caught my eye. Time freakin' flies!

I registered my ride in Nevada - what a state. They didn't care if I wanted to ride my bike across the former Soviet Union. They took my money - a fair and nominal fee - and registered my bike.

The fee should be coming up soon. A year on the Katana.

Most comfortable bike I have ridden. Excellent mirrors. Handles pretty damn good and I'm still on Macadams. Took 'er on a 200 mile day trip. Hit an area in HIGH WIND ADVISORY. Bike handles in a most fearful way in a cross wind. It was 35 mph, 50mph gusts. Worst I've ever been in, in any case. Oh yeah, it was night. And, oh yeah, I should have had a clear visor, not smoked. Didn't expect to make the trip last into night time.

The bike never missed a beat, never failed a start. Crappy tires worked amazingly. My backside was as comfortable as I could ever have hoped.

I love this big bike.
                                time for new tires if you have the originals.
                                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                                X