X

California DMV Is Out To Kill Us All

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• California DMV Is Out To Kill Us All

Hey guys. I'm not a Kat owner yet, but I may be shortly if things go well.

I've spent the day finding out as much as I can about the 600. Heavy, top-heavy, long, bullet-proof, and did I mention heavy? I'm fascinated.

I'm fascinated with many of the retro-styled bikes. I have a 93 FZR600 which looks like it should be in that Akira anime. If I find an RC30 rotting in someone's garage I may have a joygasm.

So this guy is moving, he's military, and he's trying to unload this bike that broke his will by throwing him to the ground roughly. California registration is completely retarded, so it's slow going... I may wind the odometer forward with a drill to 7500 (anyone try this?) or register it in Nevada.

Anyway, this poor bike... it really caught my eye. And the price... I can't pass it down. The FZR forums are fantastic, I kinda get the feeling that this place is that caliber.

So be ready for my annoying questions as I surge forth into Katana-hood.

My (and the wife's) stable:
    2005 CBR600RR
    2006 SV650
    1993 FZR600
    2007 CMX250C Rebel
    2006 CRF150F
    2008 CRF250X
    2006 GSX600F

I didn't read a year in there, so first off: yes, they are heavier than sport bikes and lighter in some cases than cruisers.

Can you take off the speedo and drill the miles forward? Not legally. Also, depending on the year, not possible. Older ones may have a speedo cable, I'm not sure. The newer ones have a rotor and sensor pickup making it very difficult to do so.

Sent from my phone

Comment

Welcome.

I think Frozt is right about the legality of modifying the odo reading. The law is intended to prevent you from lowering the odo reading to cheat a buyer but everywhere I've ever been, the law prohibits "falsifying" the mileage.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I may wind the odometer forward with a drill to 7500
        Yup i'm sure he did say forwards ,I guess to add mileage to get back on the road for some reason
        I'm outa here

Comment

It's a 2006.

I understand the legalities or lack there of. I won't do it. It crossed my mind.

If a bike is not a 50-state model, i.e., California emissions legal, then the bike has to have 7500 miles on it or else the DMV will reject the registration.
          2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post
            It's a 2006.

I understand the legalities or lack there of. I won't do it. It crossed my mind.

If a bike is not a 50-state model, i.e., California emissions legal, then the bike has to have 7500 miles on it or else the DMV will reject the registration.
            What?!

You don't need a new bike, you need to move to a new state!
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

you can loan me your bike I can rack up the miles in no time :P lol
              94 kat 600 RIP
              97 vfr 750 ride on

Comment

Place on center stand with front wheel against a wall and run in gear and wind on some miles each day till you done!.....
                I'm outa here

Comment

Aimbot9000: That's a very generous offer. Come on out, we'll hit the mountains.

ManQu: I'm stoked that it has a center stand. I think I have a solution, though.

I'm going to register it in Nevada at my brother's address. No worries. Oh, and I bought it. Just rode it home today. Here, a picture of her good side...

I think I attached one. I hope it shows up. Takes a little bit to get used to new forums.

Sooo, the story is it was owned by a woman who low-sided it and messed up the custom paint job you can see in the picture, if it shows up. The person I bought it from bought it from her and within 100 miles on the odometer gunned it and wiped it out at a stop sign. So the left side is pretty thrashed.

It starts but won't idle. The stator cover is new but leaks continually. It has one mirror. The steering feels like the front tire is flat even though I aired it. But it runs fine, it's kind of squishy on the bottom end but I accidentally wheelied it leaving the guy's house, which surprised the hell out of me. I think I'm going to love this bike.

Best $500 I've ever spent.
                  Attached Files
                  2006 GSX600F

Comment

damn .deff worth 500.nice find
                    YES I did just kick your car door in for almost killing me.i bet next time you get into your car you will rember to look out for bikes

Comment

Originally posted by daddijuggalo View Post
                      damn .deff worth 500.nice find
                      Indeed! Love the sig juggalo...glad to know i'm not the only one that does that

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                        What?!

You don't need a new bike, you need to move to a new state!
                        Yeah...the "joys" of living in California. The weather is great, but man...just about anything that can be restricted in someway is. Not sure how we're the one state where lane splitting is legal, seems to go directly in the face of the state legislatures' normal ways.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

That seems like a great deal on the bike even extra room there for stuff later like chain and sprockets or tires and brakes .... ENJOY and ride safe .

Comment

Nevada Registration

Registration in Las Vegas was successful. They seem happy to register whatever because it means $$$. California... they're so reluctant to help anybody because they might have to work, or might be held accountable, or something.

Oh, and Nevada is looking into allowing lane-splitting.

Hopefully, in a year's time, I can register the bike more legitimately by taking advantage of simply transferring the registration without a purchase. It's so complicated.

A new state is definitely in order. One of the ones, like Cali, where you can ride all year.

Now... for some research.
                            2006 GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by Addiction View Post
                              It's a 2006.

I am also a Cali resident (Bay Area). The other forum members always get a kick out of when I state how truly individual California is as a state. Our gasoline.....our emission standards.....our registrations. At least now you can verify it lol.

Also I have a family friend who works for Hayward DMV and he stated the bike does not require XXX number of miles but it MUST be able to pass California smog. Putting 7500 miles on a bike is equivalent ot putting 40k on a car. My own brother registered his Honda Shadow 750cc here with 2400 miles and it is an Arizona model.
                              2006 Suzuki GSXF-750 Katana

"If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything"

Comment

Working...
                              X