X

Help - Open engine neglected bike :|

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    Have you counted the cam chain pins to verify the camps are positioned correctly in relation to the chain?

Krey
    There is a cover I'll need to take off as I can't see the pins to count them, measuring point to point from the arrows on the exhaust and intake cam sprockets there are 24 as per the book. Interestingly the 1 mark on the exhaust sprocket lines up perfectly with the top of the cylinder head as per the book so I'm even more unsure how the notches in the cam shaft ends are out of alignment. As the sprockets seem to part of the actual shaft I'm thinking to ignore the notch position, hmmm

Comment

Valve clearances all done, coils and plugs all tested and replaced, next need to look at routing cables, unfortunately no longer have pictures of where everything went re clutch, choke and throttle cables, does anyone have pictures of this please?

Also can anyone tell me if the wiring loom on the right side of the bike should route under or over the cross member the tank sits on by the valve cover?

Comment

Starting to look more like a bike and less like a collection of parts now 🙂 When it come to syncing the carbs (hopefully get time in the next few days) do I need to stick a fan in front of the bike to keep it cool, seems to be mixed opinion on this?

Comment

Your first time.....err on the side of caution. Use a good high flow fan. Once you've done it a couple time it takes much less time to do it.
          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
          spammer police
          USAF veteran
          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
            Your first time.....err on the side of caution. Use a good high flow fan. Once you've done it a couple time it takes much less time to do it.
            Hmmm, manual says to get bike to normal operating temperature, any idea how long if its sat there idling that's likely to be?

Comment

Just off the choke.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran
              If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

So, went to start the bike and not so much as a click from the starter... the fun continues

Comment

Originally posted by Seft View Post
                  So, went to start the bike and not so much as a click from the starter... the fun continues
                  ...did I always have to pull the clutch to start the bike even when I'm neutral, hoping the answer yes and this was a memory problem not an electrical one. Quite smug as to how accurate my bench balancing of the carbs was. Less smug it's taken 3 years or so to get around to sorting this out.

Anyway, looks like all is well other than a possible leaking brake piston but that's easily solved.

Thanks to everyone who's helped me with this and answered some of my my more stupid/naive questions. As I've spent al the cash I had spare I'll have to wait until next month to tax and MOT it to find out if anything else has gone horribly wrong! Thanks again peeps 🙂

Comment

...did I always have to pull the clutch to start the bike even when I'm neutral,
                    Yep. If the bike's in gear, the sidestand has to be up too (in case you want to start it in gear on the centre stand for some reason )

Comment

Originally posted by Tippon View Post
                      Yep. If the bike's in gear, the sidestand has to be up too (in case you want to start it in gear on the centre stand for some reason )
                      Thanks, now let's pretend I never needed to ask 🙂

Comment

I give up, how the hell do you get the little clips back on the vacuum port covers without displacing the carbs, tried every pair of pliers I own for this!!

Comment

I use curved hemostats...

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                            I use curved hemostats...
                            Thanks, raided my fishing bag for them, worked a treat

However, having put the fuel tank back on everything was fine for a few minutes and then the engine gradually died and wouldn't restart.

The plan:
                            Take the fuel tank off again, see if if the bike runs fine off an auxillary tank to rule out crud having made its way to the carbs.

If that fails, begrudginly tear down the carbs again to see what's wrong

If it works fin on the aux supply, I'll check out the inline filter and see if that's clogged (it's about 15 minutes old so expecting it'll be fine) can you acutally clean these out?

If that looks fine then I was going to drain the tank and dismantle the petcock and clean that up.

Any other (better!) ideas welcome?

Update: in line filter perfectly clean, no restriction at all if I blow through it. The breather hose that goes to the bottom of the tank however was blocked with what looked like cludgy orange brown fuel lump, cleaned this out with carb cleaner and dried with air. Can't try to fire it up until tomorrow sadly but would this hose being blocked cause it gradually cut out and if so can anyone explain why please. In need of a bit of education!
                            Last edited by Seft; 06-23-2017, 03:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks, raided my fishing bag for them, worked a treat

However, having put the fuel tank back on everything was fine for a few minutes and then the engine gradually died and wouldn't restart.

The plan:
                              Take the fuel tank off again, see if if the bike runs fine off an auxillary tank to rule out crud having made its way to the carbs.

If that fails, begrudginly tear down the carbs again to see what's wrong

If it works fin on the aux supply, I'll check out the inline filter and see if that's clogged (it's about 15 minutes old so expecting it'll be fine) can you acutally clean these out?

If that looks fine then I was going to drain the tank and dismantle the petcock and clean that up.

Any other (better!) ideas welcome?

Update: in line filter perfectly clean, no restriction at all if I blow through it. The breather hose that goes to the bottom of the tank however was blocked with what looked like cludgy orange brown fuel lump, cleaned this out with carb cleaner and dried with air. Can't try to fire it up until tomorrow sadly but would this hose being blocked cause it gradually cut out and if so can anyone explain why please. In need of a bit of education!
                              Breather hose in the bottom of the tank?... I don't know of a breather hose on the tank. The vent is part of the fuel cap.

I'd check vacuum to the petcock and petcock is flowing fuel properly.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                                Breather hose in the bottom of the tank?... I don't know of a breather hose on the tank. The vent is part of the fuel cap.

I'd check vacuum to the petcock and petcock is flowing fuel properly.

Krey
                                Sure, it's on a 2002 bike, if you look in the Haynes manual in the Fuel and Exhaust bit on page 3.3 there's a picture of the hose I'm talking about in the top left of the page.

I've a pump I can use from a brake bleed kit but not sure how much of a vacuum should be there to let the fuel flow and obviously don't want to overdo it and wreck the tap, assuming my manometer was accurate when balancing carbs this was about 21cmHg, does that sound about right? Vacuum hose from carb 4 is clear.

Edit: ok so I tested the fuel tap and 'on' and 'res' let nothing out when there's a vacuum applied. It also doesn't let anything out on 'pri'. I now though have an extra problem in that I hooked up an auxiliary tank again, blocked off the vacuum tube and when I turned the tap on it let about 300ml of fuel into the carbs, now when I did this for balancing it let about 200 in, any thoughts why that might be? How much fuel should the carbs hold in the bowls? Also it now won't start, thoughts are possibly the float heights are wrong but then I'd have expected the same behaviour when I got it running to sync the carbs.
                                Last edited by Seft; 06-24-2017, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X