Hello from Savannah Ga!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Savannah Ga!

Hey guys!

I recently was given a 2001 750 Kat in pretty rough shape by a neighbor of mine in hopes I could fix it up and getting it running! I used to own a cruiser, but had to sell it prior to moving here from Auburn, AL. I am super excited to get this thing going and on the road again. It's going to require a good bit of tlc. its been sitting for 2 years.The guy that gave me the bike said the knob to turn the gas on was no longer working, so he hadoesn't to pull the tank off and literally pour gas down into it to get it fired up, but when he did that it ran great. So ive got it with the tank off and thats where I start this journey.... and that's what brings me here. Any tips or info would be greatly appreciated!! I've never worked on a bike before, so this will be a first for me and can't wait for the haynes manual to come in so I can get started. I'll post some pics once I'm back on my pc.

Thanks guys!

Alex

Welcome to KR!

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Welcome to the Forum.

Hope you did not pay for the manual it is free to down load on here.
      Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
      From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
      this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

You could start here for the knob"petcock" http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ebuild+petcock

Also check the inside of the tank for rust, if rusty clean you could try this http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ght=clean+tank

then coat with Pour 15, there are other methods, use the search tab.
      2002 750 Kat
      2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
      2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
      1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
      2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Welcome
        Sounds like the petcock needs a rebuild. Pretty easy to do.
        Carbs will likely need cleaning as well.
        1998 Katana 750
        1992 Katana 1100
        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
          Welcome to the Forum.

Hope you did not pay for the manual it is free to down load on here.
          Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
          From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
          this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

You could start here for the knob"petcock" http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ebuild+petcock

Also check the inside of the tank for rust, if rusty clean you could try this http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...ght=clean+tank

then coat with Pour 15, there are other methods, use the search tab.

Thanks guys! This is a great start, thank you for the input and links! And, unfortunately I did buy the manual haha, I tried to search for it but that didn't fair too well, but it will be nice having an electronic copy so thank you!!

I will begin breaking it down and cleaning it up and will start exactly with what y'all have mentioned. I hope to get it up and running soon, I'm sure I'll be wearing out the search on here, but I appreciate the feedback and welcome!!

Thanks again!!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              Welcome to KatRiders.
              Thank you!!

Comment

Just spent a weekend down there with the gf. Mrs Wilkes was so good the day I got home I bought the cookbook on ebay for $5 shipped (it was like $50 at the restaurant).

Nice city. Even the homeless are super friendly and nice. I'm from NY and all our homeless will shank you if you talk to them.

Comment

Working...
                X