X

Finally

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally

The dealer finally released my 1999 Black Katana 600 to me. They worked long and hard getting carbs right. (1999 with 2000 miles on it) I had them install a jet kit while it was apart.
    Man o man I love this thing. Love to hear the inline 4 sing so first thing i put a Delkevic stubby 14" slip on exhaust on. First newb mistake, skipped putting the strap on so I could hear it on an around the block trip - it does not sound good dragging on the ground. Second newb mistake- don't check oil on sidestand. I put two quarts in and the window was forever drowned out. Tried to ease the oil out which created a nice little oil lake on my driveway. Third newb mistake - the dang thing just won't go into neutral no matter what I do with my right foot.
    It's a 99 bike with original tires, had rear tire changed waiting for front one.
    My total riding experience on motor cycles includes sneaking my brothers bike out a couple of times 30 plus years ago ( dropped it and broke headlight) riding a college (ex-buddy) bike a couple of times - hit a curb and messed it up, and mopeds long ago.
    This bike, though heavy is a blast to ride. At 5000 rpm's i'm pretty much watering the seat. (kidding) I cruise around town under 50 mph which is very comfortable. Every so often I have to pretend i'm rocket man and see how many gears I can miss while listening to stubby sing. Still looking for 7th gear. Have not yet installed T-Rex sliders, or dropped it. Glad I got the Katana 600 and not a 250 or 500. It works for me.

Don't get complacent. Always pay attention. Always have a way out and think to yourself that if it is possible for someone to hit you they will. Seriously let my lesson be heard. I thought I was being safe, I see a car coming toward me ready to turn left in front of me so I slowed down. The car tops and it is just the two of us around so I think he stopped for me. I speed back up and as soon ass I get to the intersection he pulls in front of me. I was doing 50mph and came close to dying that day. Still have three metal plates and 17 screws holding my left arm together.
    Congrats on the bike. And looking for 7th gear is not a newb thing. I still expect one more gear to be there when I get up to freeway speed.

Comment

Thanks for your feedback.
      There but the grace of God is kinda my motto. I often critique myself while driving and am amazed at how blessed it is to still be here. It's a constant challenge trying to anticipate what others are going to do or even what crazy impulse I might follow.
      Anyway, bummed out- too wet out to stretch my ol kat out today.Supposed to be wet all week. I suppose sooner or later I gotta practice the sliding stop.

Comment

Originally posted by DownSouth99 View Post
        Thanks for your feedback.
        There but the grace of God is kinda my motto. I often critique myself while driving and am amazed at how blessed it is to still be here. It's a constant challenge trying to anticipate what others are going to do or even what crazy impulse I might follow.
        Anyway, bummed out- too wet out to stretch my ol kat out today.Supposed to be wet all week. I suppose sooner or later I gotta practice the sliding stop.
        Michelin Road Pilot 3 or 4 tires are fantastic in the wet. Most afternoons we will get downpours here in Colorado and I love these tires. I run the 3's but the new 4's are supposed to get about 20% more life. I won't ride in the city when raining but out of town its no big deal. Usually less traffic.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Michelins seem to have a great reputation.
          I was looking for the most tire for the least money and it seems like the the Conti-Motions had a lot of positive feedback so I ordered them. Unfortunately the payment didn't go through. Not wanting to risk riding another mile on my 2001 tires I had local shop put on a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on the rear. I'm waiting for front tire.
          The BT45's seem to have decent reviews. I plan on continuing to be a wus for the forseeable future and not push the tires anywhere near their limit.
          Ride on.

Comment

I look for one more gear all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by DownSouth99 View Post
              Thanks for the input. Michelins seem to have a great reputation.
              I was looking for the most tire for the least money and it seems like the the Conti-Motions had a lot of positive feedback so I ordered them. Unfortunately the payment didn't go through. Not wanting to risk riding another mile on my 2001 tires I had local shop put on a Bridgestone Battlax BT45 on the rear. I'm waiting for front tire.
              The BT45's seem to have decent reviews. I plan on continuing to be a wus for the forseeable future and not push the tires anywhere near their limit.
              Ride on.
              where in south Florida can you push tires to their limit? I run out of talent before my tires go off riding in the NGa mtns.
              never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Good point. Down here a prerequisite for a driver's license is to have an understanding that the "me " is all that matters. I think car manufacturers purposely remove blinkers knowing that they are irrelevant. Turn lanes have been eliminated - People use the right lane three lanes to make left turns, 4 way stops only apply to the other guy, blinking red light and yellow lights are the same thing, and oh yeah, the left two lanes are reserved for slow drivers. Shoot, don't get me started on bicyclers in their little tights.
                As for talent, I have none. I just like to feel the mosquitoes between my teeth while my Delkevic sings.

Comment

Congrats on the bike and gear up!!!
                  Extra life.

Comment

I do try to consistently wear my jacket glove and helmet.
                    Today I got to use the invisible kickstand for the first time.
                    I backed the bike in which is unusual for me and was concentrating on looking at the tire which felt weird, thought the kickstand was down, but nope, down she went-softly.
                    I was at the insurance agency which has a camera- i'm thinking America's Most Funniest (or stupidest) Videos will be calling.
                    Dang that Kat weighs a ton.

Comment

ouch, thats a bummer. Sounds like you have had a rough go at it with bikes in your day. Take it 1 day at a time, and for god sakes, keep it up on two wheels!! lol
                      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Yea ouch, best of luck.
                        2001 GSX600F Katana

Comment

Still purring

Welp I have close to 800 miles on the Kat now. Mostly on neighborhood jaunts in areas that I consider cage friendly. Couldn't sleep on July 4th morning so I rode down US1 to Miami Beach and back through Coconut Grove at around 4-5 A.M. Beautiful ride, no traffic, pretty much had the road to myself.
                          I put sliders on and have two new tires. Also bought a JVC ADIXXION action camera and ram camera mount. The videos are pretty large - 1G+. Not sure how to post them, boring any way.
                          Thanks for all the info all of you input. I can spend hours reading all of the do's and don'ts and this has helped me tremendously.
                          Ride on

Comment

Congrats on the bike, maybe I'll see you out there. I am in west Broward.

Comment

yep, heavy!

Comment

Working...
                              X