My 82 Kat 750 resto mod thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 82 Kat 750 resto mod thread

Hey everyone,

This is a great friendly site. I been reading this group before joining for a while and some projects in here encourage me to go for a 82 Kat. I thought I would start this thread and update it as I go.

Well, here is my kat as it looks now.

The body work is not bad. It does need some plastic welding but not major. The tank needs some dents removed but there is no rust-surprisingly. The frame needs the front cross member replaced. It was cut to accommodate a 89 GSXR 750 exhaust. I will get it braced as well. Planning on getting a Bandit 1200 swing arm with GSXR front end.

And the motor, I am thinking several things:Bandit 1200, Kat 1100, GSXR 750/1100 (air cooled) or a 2000+ Kat 750. Mainly, I will get a donor bike for the motor, harness and everything that makes it go.

I had to get the VIN number straighten out with the local License Office (MTO). It was registered with only part of the vin number back in 1982 and followed the bike every since. I had to bring it to a Suzuki Dealer and get the letter from them once they looked at it. It was not hard to do but a pain.

Right now, I started stripping it and making a lists of what needs to be done (almost evey part needs attention of some sort), what be sold and what is needed.

Anyways, that is the start...I plan on taking a few years.

Looks like a good place to start...PM me, I think I may be able to help you out with a few things. Have a look at my 82 project at 1157katana.blogspot.com (make sure you go back through the old posts

Cheers

Comment

Good luck and have fun!
      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

Nice start to a project.

It makes a man feel good inside to have a classic Katana project in the garage.

Comment

Thanks guys, I am a happy man with the Kat in the garage and a wife that understands.

Comment

Looking great! I love the vintage Kats and would love one one day. One thing Ive noticed is the riding position looks really "stretched" compared to my 95' (and others). Is that just an illusion because of the overall design?

Just looks like you would almost have to lay down to grab the bars.

Either way nice start!
            '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme
              Thanks guys, I am a happy man with the Kat in the garage and a wife that understands.
              They really understand when you get the second one in garage

Originally posted by Ridin Dirty View Post
              Looking great! I love the vintage Kats and would love one one day. One thing Ive noticed is the riding position looks really "stretched" compared to my 95' (and others). Is that just an illusion because of the overall design?

It is a bit more stretched out but not too bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Ridin Dirty View Post

Either way nice start!
                It is a long reach to the bars, especially if you're smaller. I'm 6'1" and am very comfortable but my wife at 5'8" has a hard time. Remember that the 1st gen Katana was a supersport bike and not a sport-tourer like the later ones so it's set-up with a more aggressive riding position.
                Attached Files
                1980 GS1100E, 2002 748S, 2010 ZX14, 2013 Bonneville T-100

Dave

Comment

Gotcha...sweet ride though!!
                  '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

The riding upper torso position feels very similar to the 98-03 zx7r-I had one until last month. However, the legs are more relaxed on the Kat.

Waltari, I already have two bikes in the garage. I was not going to buy this until my wife told me she knows it won't be cheap....

Anyways, the bike has everything stripped off now except for the rear and front suspension. That might be for tomorrow. I took the power washer to it to get 16 years of dirt and grease off it.

Also, does anyone know were I can get a copy of the vin number made up. I am talking about the sticker with the specs, manufacture date and vin number near the left foot peg.

Comment

If I only had TWO bikes in my garage I would be able to walk IN! LOL!! As it is, there is an 82 1000 Kat, my 85 1150E, a pitbike, 3 dragbikes, 31 heads, 18 GS1100 & 1150 motors, a Snap On toolbox, a lift, a porting table, a solvent tank, a welder, & 4 shelf units full of parts. My 83 1100 Kat is still out back under a cover till I can figure out how to get IT inside too! Ray.
                      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by ukilme View Post
                        The riding upper torso position feels very similar to the 98-03 zx7r-I had one until last month. However, the legs are more relaxed on the Kat.

Waltari, I already have two bikes in the garage. I was not going to buy this until my wife told me she knows it won't be cheap....

Anyways, the bike has everything stripped off now except for the rear and front suspension. That might be for tomorrow. I took the power washer to it to get 16 years of dirt and grease off it.

Also, does anyone know were I can get a copy of the vin number made up. I am talking about the sticker with the specs, manufacture date and vin number near the left foot peg.
                        Power washing bikes must be a requirement for Canadian bikes. When I picked up the other in in BC last year, first thing I had to do was power wash it to get the moss off that was growing on it!?!

If I only had TWO bikes in my garage I would be able to walk IN! LOL!! As it is, there is an 82 1000 Kat, my 85 1150E, a pitbike, 3 dragbikes, 31 heads, 18 GS1100 & 1150 motors, a Snap On toolbox, a lift, a porting table, a solvent tank, a welder, & 4 shelf units full of parts. My 83 1100 Kat is still out back under a cover till I can figure out how to get IT inside too! Ray.
                        Ray, sounds like your in a bind. I have space if you'd like to store your 83 with my two 82's

Comment

If you were in SoCal you would regret having said that! LOL!! Ray.
                          85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                            If you were in SoCal you would regret having said that! LOL!! Ray.

Ahhh, I don't think I'd regret it. I have plenty of space between my mill and my turret lathe for another tenant. You'd probably be the guy to regret it as I'd likely make you build me proper aircooled beasty to put in my other 82

Comment

Never mind the bikes...I'll take of the tools you both listed.

Comment

Working...
                              X