Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

'05 GSX600F - Engine Rebuildable?/Total Loss?/Replace Engine?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any time frame on that offer?
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Yeah, as soon as I get the watch, the engine will be on the way. However, I'm gonna buy that Alpina Nightlife Club Chrono real soon. I just found the Mido Ocean Star today.

Comment

So that's going to be the new payment method??
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

With the valve stuck in the piston, how bad dose the head look?

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Trashed....
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by ZukiFred View Post
              With the valve stuck in the piston, how bad dose the head look?

The head has some repaired parts that I ordered before I got to the Piston's mess. It has a rocker arm that needs replaced, and 8-missing nuts that hold down the Head to the engine, and I would need to order 3-nuts for the rocker arm assembly & to replace a screw for the rocker arm. All those parts are not expensive or difficult to replace. Its just from the cylinders + down is what concerns me.

'05 GXS600f
              First time rider
              DYNATEK Performance Ignition

Comment

He is referring to the underside, where the valve face beat the cumbustion chamber or valve seat.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

I'll post some photos in a few hours when I get home from work.
                  '05 GXS600f
                  First time rider

Comment

So, something amazing happened today. I found a running '92 Katana engine that has ~8,000 miles for sale = $195.00

This has been an answer from the gods saying, fix it now! or forever be lame...
                    '05 GXS600f
                    First time rider

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                        That's $195 shipped price. I am in awe right now on how too good to be true this is. But I have to ask myself...

What will need to be replaced?
                        '05 GXS600f
                        First time rider

Comment

I really wouldn't be too surprised. Katana parts aren't worth much at all. You're talking about a 23 year old engine that was outdated technology a year after it debuted. However, shipping an engine isn't cheap, people are stupid and think that parts are worth a mint even if they aren't. So you either found an experienced seller that knows the ~$75 dollars he'll get for that engine is better than nothing. Or the engine is a giant piece of shit with a bad transmission and it's worth whatever scrap aluminum is going for these days.

Comment

the head needs a lot of work, probably totally screwed up valve seat and valve guide. also its probably warped in some fashion. basically , if youre not buying a complete engine, at the least you need to buy a complete head. you can actually get those complete for a fair price on ebay. also you need to check the crankshaft and its bearings, check for loosenes of the piston rods up and down motion.
                            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

I've got a katana with a mostly complete B12 swap in my garage that can't seem to get finished... any takers
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

So after all of this, the engine has arrived at my door. The seller actually dropped it off himself since he was living within reasonable distance. He "said" it had ~8,000 miles on it before the previous owner parked it. He "said" that it was running before he used the other parts for what he needed on his other project bike.

Now what should my next steps be as far as inspecting this bike?
                                Just go down the list and start tearing it apart?
                                '05 GXS600f
                                First time rider

Comment

Working...
                                X