X

1990 1100 kat fork problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 1100 kat fork problem

I replaced one seal, and drained and refilled the other fork. got the bike back on the road, and automatically noticed the front end looked like it was sitting lower. It was, and is. And I have lost a lot of travel. I have put seals in many forks in my time, and have never had a problem. Nothing special about these forks, no anti dive system and nothing complicated it seemed. Everything came apart fairly easily, and went back together without a hitch I thought. Anyone have this happen to them? Thoughts? Did I need to take the upper preload adjuster apart? I know this isn't much info, but does anyone by chance have any idea what went wrong? I will probably try and remove them this weekend and see if I just have one sagging, or lower...Sorry If I posted this twice, I thought I may have posted this yesterday or the day before. Just couldn't find it
    RIding sober really ain't as bad as I thought it would be.

Did you pump the cartridge system to bleed it? You need to bleed that in addition to the normal fork tube bleeding.
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. I removed the top cartridges last night, pumped the forks up and down while still attached to the bike. Even held them down some while screwing the tops back on. Still limp.
      Last edited by spvinny78; 04-04-2015, 09:50 AM.

Comment

THey may be a little stiffer now, but not enough

Comment

Replied in your other thread but in case you don't see it:
          Remove the fork caps, and pump the damper rod. It's attached to the cartridge system. With the forks on the bike it might not be super easy unless you have a retractable parts grabber tool. Pump the damper rod a few times, and try measuring oil height again. If there was air in the system before and pumping either the fork tubes last night or the damper rod/cartridge system, your oil level will be a bit low. Top it off.

Also, cartridge refers to the fact that there is a compression and rebound damping valve stack. Your response where you mentioned removing the upper cartridge - there isn't one - not sure you understand how cartridge style forks work. I'm probably not the person to explain cartridge forks vs regular, but the Internet (or KR) should be able to if you aren't sure the difference.

Also, if things are too soft, it could just be the springs are shot. Getting springs that are matched to your weight give an immense improvement to handling (racetech springs are ~120$) but if things were fine before you worked on them, probably not the springs.

How much lower is the bike sitting?
          Did you measure where the triple tree clamps up before hand, and reinstall the forks to the same height?
          1998 Katana 750
          1992 Katana 1100
          2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Just maybe, you rebuilt one fork tube but, only changed the fluid in the other. Now you have one good fork and one weak fork. Together they equal subpar.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Air in the system will not control where it sits at static or with rider on it as it is only a damper and does not control ride height only damping. Not sure where you went wrong but it could be a spring spacer or topout spring that were either left out or was missing from the get go. You never did say exactly how much travel was reduced after you put it all back together.

Tmod

Comment

FOrtunately, I only disassembled one fork. I will remove both, and see if I have a weak one. THen go from there. Anything is possible. This bike was purchased as a basket case. A rolling basket case. the previous owner thought this would make a good drag bike. I looked at it as a good bike for some 2 up riding. MY wife never enjoyed the 02 r1, and she didn't much care for the 78 kz1000. I really am beginning to think I may have done something wrong. JUst had a leaky seal. NOw I have a limp noodles. I will let you fellas know when I get it figured out. MAybe I could get in on the 17 inch conversion thread.

Comment

One of the 17" conversion threads is linked below.
                  Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I have a hard cover haynes covering gsx-r750 and 1100 88-92. Gsx600,750,1100f 88 to 96. My forks have the preload adjust on the top cap. No other adjuster. Just a drain bolt at the bottom just above the axle. My book does not show an exploded view. It just says they are similar to 88-89 gsxr750 forks. I also have a slotTed washer below the top cap that I cannot find in any exploded view in this book. I am trying to figure out how to post a picture in this thread.

Comment

Choose advanced post, it will have an option for picks
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran

Comment

top cap picture

I pulled the slotted washer out a little so you can see it better. this is the washer I cant find in my manualIMAG0331.jpg

Comment

a picture of my lowers

no dampening adjustment or anything. Just a drain
                          Attached Files

Comment

Aaah, that sits on the spring for preload. That would be part #6 on the exploded drawing.
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by spvinny78 View Post
                              I pulled the slotted washer out a little so you can see it better. this is the washer I cant find in my manual[ATTACH]29289[/ATTACH]
                              Breakdown of stock fork. Notice clip that you show in your photo as well as spacer under it.

Tmod
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X