X

Signal generator issue?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Signal generator issue?

Been having some spark issues on my 94 Katana 600. I am getting a spark from the left coil(I am using a spark testing tool) but not from the right. Getting more voltage to the "bad" coil than the good one; over 11volts. I disconnected the two wires from the good coil and connected them to the other one. I am getting spark. I am pretty sure I can rule out the ignition coil being the culprit. Perhaps the signal generator? I have very basic knowledge of the system but my best guess is that the right coil is not getting triggered to fire... I have been searching posts for an hour and cannot find much about it. As well, for some reason, I cannot access the wiki pages(getting a bunch of errors and only the title is displayed).
    Anyone know how to test the signal genny?

Nope, your getting a spark, which means the pulse generator is sending a pulse. I would think either two possibilities. Bad CDI, not switching correctly or a wiring issue to the effected coil. Keep in mind the negative wire on the coil is the trigger for the coil, do not just ground the wire to the frame. It MUST go through the CDI.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Is the CDI also called the ignitor and is it testable or could it be a matter of swapping it out?

Note: I had overcharging issues last week and blew two headlights and my dry cell battery ruptured! This is what I am assuming is the root cause of my latest troubles. Had it running on 2 cyclinders yesterday and my charging is at 13.2 v now

Comment

No, just swap one in, over charging will damage the pulse generator, check to see if it's melted any.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          No, just swap one in, over charging will damage the pulse generator, check to see if it's melted any.
          I don't have one to swap over(seems they are hard to find) and I'd like to narrow it down to that being my issue. Is the pulse generator inside the igniter? Looked at it... Doesn't seem like I can open it

Comment

Pulse generators are on the right side of the engine, under that small round cover.
            spammer police
            USAF veteran

Comment

Is it possible that it could be sending the "pulse" to only one coil? I am at work and haven't had a chance to open up the bike and have a look. Will do so when I get home from work today. Do I need to drain my oil in order to gain access?
              Thanks, btw, for your help thus far!

Comment

Not likely, if you look at the rotor it has a possition that tells the CDI the correct sequence to fire what coil. No you don't have to drain the oil but, there will be a small amount in there. Have some rags with you.
                spammer police
                USAF veteran

Comment

So, tested the signal generator at 167 ohms. manual says 135 - 200.
                  Contacted my parts guy about igniter and they are about $500 US. Way out of my budget right now... Going to search for a way to test the igniter...

Comment

No dice on a way to test the CDI.
                    Would it be bad to connect a wire dircetly to the coil from my battery(for 12v+) to test for spark? Thinking if I do produce a spark then it is a voltage issue, rather than a CDI issue that can be ruled out.
                    Also, the connections at the coil are not marked + or -, correct? I don't think it matters which is wire is connected to which...

Comment

Working...
                    X