No announcement yet.
X

Home made seat cowl (work in progress)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Home made seat cowl (work in progress)

I started this a couple weeks ago but with the cold temps in my poorly winter heated paint/fiberglass work area it's taken me longer then I wanted to get this far.

I started out with one design and scrapped it. Basically it was a flat top design but it was too small and I would like to use the space under the cowl for storage so the larger the better.
    With this cover I used a 4L round bleach jug and cut it for a nice shape and a nice hump. I taped it to the seat, then covered everything with plasic wrap and then with clear packaging tape.
    Put down a layer of loose fiberglass.
    Then finished shapping it with kitty hair (long strand fiberglass bondo)
    once I had my shape I covered it with 3 layers of woven fiberglass.
    Then I flipped it over and ground out all of the bondo so i was left with just the woven fiberglass shell and to make it as light as possible.

I still have a bit of spot work to do and some minor shaping to make things perfect... this pic was after the first fitting.
    I'll trim it up a bit and contour the front pieces that come down over the seat a bit.
    Two things I don't care for is
    #1 how some cowls sit back 1/2 or more on the rear seat
    #2 the long wings on most seat cowls that come up around the sides of the seat... I will cut mine to the shape of the seat lines a little more in stead of strait down and its fitted to come right up to the rider drivers seat.

so far so good
    It's heavy compared to most but mine wont crack either lol
    I'll attach it using velcro for the quickest removal. I will fiberglass the strap under the cowl and rivet a couple straps to the bottom of the seat just so things can't move around
    Total cost so far is about $50 for bondo, resin, glass, sandpaper, flap sanding wheel, spot putty etc.

Last edited by hardlydangerous; 04-02-2008, 04:20 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

I like the shape.
    First try thats pretty dang good.
    Could you have used some kind of release agent to prevent having to grind out the tiger hair?

Comment

Thanks
      I'm sure that would have been a lot quicker and easier... but then I would not have the fun of coming out of the shop covered in 1" of white fiberglass powder and chase the neighborhood kids around barking and yelling under my resperator now could I.
      I was going to make it out of foam. i've build many resin fuel tanks using foam and it works like a charm...
      98 GSX750F
      95 Honda VT600 vlx
      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
        but then I would not have the fun of coming out of the shop covered in 1" of white fiberglass powder and chase the neighborhood kids around barking and yelling under my resperator now could I..

No you couldn't.. Oh man.. My dad would do that nearly every weekend.
        Good times.. Good times..

Comment

lookin good.
          Can't blame me for something I don't remember.
          www.bakerboyz.net

Comment

Looks good man! Pretty much the same way I made my cowls. the only difference is I used an old fleece sweatshirt for the humped one so I could pull and stretch it around the mold better than the fiberglass matte would.

Keep up the good work!

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
            You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

I've used fleece for sub box building many times...
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Very nice!! It looks great.
                2007 Honda CBR600rr
                2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                sigpic

Comment

looks good.... Thanks for the pictures... They make a good reference... i hope to make one after i get the rest of my bike put back together
                  Light travels faster than sound... Thats why some people appear very bright until they speak.

Comment

Looks good! Good Idea with the bleach jug!

Comment

I don't know if the Kat is an Aerodynamic Super Sport or not.. but...

I gotta say it, but for the "hump-style" Post-98 Seat Cowls, that is actually the best looking one I've seen. I actually prefer what you did with the line work in blending it into the seat, and, if I'm allowed to say, I think it looks much better than the Braada cowl (for some reason, that little touch really does alot for the look in my opinion).

Can't wait to see it painted, get it matched perfectly and you will have just a fantastic cowl.

Comment

Thank you

I plan on painting the entire bike black w/black carbon fiber in June or so. I have my VT600 I have to finish and paint first, so for now I may just paint it black or find a color as close as possible to the oem color just until I re-paint.
                        I looked up the oem paint and $33 per can from color rite... the base coat and top coat will be damn near $80 by the time it is shipped.
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Who Keeps Removing My Posts!!! Geezzz

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

You gotta get that thing red color matched if you can. In my opinion, not matching a cowl to the rest of the paint job defeats the purpose of the cowl, you might as well just keep the pillion seat there.

I really want to see what it looks like finished, make sure you keep us updated!

Comment

Looks Good Man !
                              sigpic

Faster, Faster, Faster... Until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." Hunter S. Thompson

" Rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow "

Comment

Working...
                              X