review thus far on widowmaker.*lots of pics and long post*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• review thus far on widowmaker.*lots of pics and long post*

gday all,

just cleaning up the files on my pc. and whilst checking out some pics, i came across my widowmaker files, it made me smile to see the transformation thus far, thought id share......

i bought my bike in sept 04 it was a steel blue (best factory color :P) 50k on the dials and in well looked after nick. id just upgraded from a ninja250, and what a change it was.. big, heavy, powerfull.. only.. stopped as well as a gpx250! meaning a few panic situations meant the bike was on its side a couple times and collected a few scratches here and there.

a pretty nast acko soon had me with 48 stitches and a limp i still carry now, and a beat up gsxf

what was damaged was a lot.. split crankcase, engine cases, busted, foot peg and rearset busted, subframe pushed across 2.5 inches, every peice of fairing broken in some way, crease and bent forks and a twisted frame, the seat and the tank were also busted, the only thing untouched was my nice yoshi can!

SO! i order parts. from waltari a gsxr750 front, .....from ebay, and various wreckers, bits and peices. seeing as ive never been one to leave anything alone i thought id modify a little and being inspired by waltari's ride...i began.

i came up with a concept during a 20 min photoshop session.

and proceeded to recreate that concept.

parts came in from all over the world, US, UK, EROUPE, AUS, NZ. and a some stuff made by myself.

the grinder wirred, the welder zapped and crackled, the plumb bob swung, the rulers implemented. the bike began to come to life.

SO... where she stands now...

she's getting everything checked out to make sure its all straight and true. the engineer has checked it all out and the swing arm and sub frame conversions were only 1mm out!! not bad for a backyarder eh? so my engineer is sorting that

unfortunatley the forks, axle and tripples were all bent/twisted, so they are getting the re-finishing and rebuilding,

once i get her back home i'll be able to finish her off, as i need the bike to sort out muffler, rearsets, oil cooler, boost piping and plenum, paint and minor bits and bobs. so... NOT FAR NOW.. ALMOST THERE!! the bike wont be back home for a few weeks so im doing all that i can without her (not much really )

when she is back home, it'll be a whirlwind of work completed and widowmaker shall be ready to roll

thanks for taking the time to read and veiw, and as always your comments are most welcome.

cheers.joe.

Wow.....what a project!

Everything looks incredible so far - I especially like the chunky aluminum rear end and faaaaaat rubber....Be sure to keep us posted with LOTS of pics....I hope you finish in soon!
    FrankenKat 1216
    GS Fiter 816
    GSXR750! (race)

Comment

Awesome

That has to be one of the best looking kats I've seen. F%$King awesome man. What did you do with the headers since you wont be needing them with the hair drier stuffed on the front of that thing!!! Sell them to me if you have them. Keep us informed. Now I want a bloody turbo.
      1996 Suzuki gsx-f 750 fighter
      1988 Yamaha tzr 250 with tt350 fourstroke fitted
      2004 Schwinn stingray with 80cc twostroke fitted

Comment

Very impressive. I can't wait to see the end result.
        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

nice write up and very nice work, looks like you stayed true to your original concept. can't wait to see finished project
          If you don't live for something, you'll die for Nothing.

Comment

nice looking bike glad its coming back together good

Comment

stuff

Left a pm re the headers. Now question time. The rear swingarm how easy did it "pop" in and is your sproket inline with the original sprocket. Turbo-what where how much. Details....jetting etc I must know. Gotta love that aussie thinking outside the square attitude. Could of binned it and got a new bike...rebuild it better stronger turbo..maybe...why not. I can hear the opening to the six million dollar man ringing in my ears...I cant hold it she's breaking up...we can rebuild him.

I really like this shot....
              Attached Files

Comment

Awesome

And definately more details on the turbo setup please.
                05 GSX-600
                89 zx750r
                04 Honda TRX-450

Comment

Re: stuff

Originally posted by debaser
                  Left a pm re the headers. Now question time. The rear swingarm how easy did it "pop" in and is your sproket inline with the original sprocket. Turbo-what where how much. Details....jetting etc I must know. Gotta love that aussie thinking outside the square attitude. Could of binned it and got a new bike...rebuild it better stronger turbo..maybe...why not. I can here the opening to the six million dollar man ringing in my ears...I cant hold it she's breaking up...we can rebuild him.

I really like this shot....
                  lol.. the swinger isnt pop in at all lol.. lots were modified.

the rear brake pivot and master cylinder actuator was moved across 6mm, the frame was shaved 2mm and 15mm was removed from the swingarm, lower subframe rails removed, the rear wheels carrier was machine down 5mm and the front sprocket was offset 5mm, custom bearing collars where machined up to mate up the standard 16mm gsxf swing arm bolt and the 20mm swing arm pivot tube in the swingarm. the upper shock mount was fabricated cos the r1 shock with the r1 linkage sat 3 inches high then the original mount. the lower linkage pick up was made with the center stand mount welded up and re-drilled.

the rear sprocket is 1mm out of line! not to bad at all.

i hear that the gsxr srad model swingers fit easier. and waltari used a rf900 swinger in his.

the turbo... is a 2003 saab bi-turbo v6 garret gt-17 ball bearing turbo. lifted from ebay. ive made the header from 38mm steam pipe, the intercooler is from a nissan 180sx, and the plenum, im still fabriacting up, im planning on modifying the fuel tank so i can run boost piping under it, making plumbing shorter, and giving better boost response. carbs are the standard items, with standard jetting for now, as boost allows more fuel to be forced thru. check on the aussue streetfighters site for a how to from OZKAT on modifying carbs for boost, theres not much more i can add to what he has already said so well.

hope this helps, any more questions, fire away!

cheers.joe.

Comment

So how did this take you? 3 or 4 days?

That is a truely custom bike. When its done we should have a Waltari/Crazy/Brada (and anyone eles with really customized Kats) shoot out.

Comment

all i can really say is.... WOW!!!
                      I love my Kat!!
                      2000 burgandy 750

Comment

Massive undertaking! Good luck.

Comment

Ha

Oh no worries mate!! that swingarm sounds easy peasy (grin) I still have to get my subframe sorted for the yammie seat. Srad you say hmmm, might just know where I can get my hands on one of those. Might be a weekend of phone calls and tape measures.

Oh yeah 1mm out!!! hit the damn thing with a five pound sledge!!! (maybe thats the kiwi coming out of me).I thought engineers drove trains?? Those headers might have given me a good excuse to plumb the exhaust under the seat like I have been planning. I love it when a plan comes together. Have to drive a van two dogs and the kat to perth in two weeks. My brother can drive for a couple of kays (maybe a few hundred) while I lie on the tank and try and break a land speed records (probably just the law) across the nulaboor.

Comment

Totally wicked awesome!

Keep up the good work mate.
                            1995 GSX-R 750W (Barney Bike - Street)
                            2004 GSX-R 600 (Race Bike) - Powered by MoPowerSports.com
                            Certified Addicted Racing/Trackday Monkey & Gixxer Fixxer // WERA West #224

Comment

i'm not even worthy to read this thread, mad props bro!
                              Ray - Thank you, may I have another?

Comment

Working...
                              X