X

New helmet time?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New helmet time?

First, let me say I'll be buying a new helmet no matter what.

As I was wiping the bugs off my Shoei RF-1000 on Sunday I find the cloth I'm using is lightly catching on something. Strange spot for a dried on bug though, left side towards the rear, between the end of the spoiler and the bottom. Look a little closer and what do I see?

[IMG][/IMG]

Those would be cracks (I think) in the outer shell! Interesting to me because I'd never noticed them before. I generally wipe the lid down right after riding (bugs seem to come off easier when not dried on overnight), this time though the helmet had been in the AC cooled house all night. Curious, I set it out in the sun for a few minutes and lo and behold, no more cracks, by sight or by feel. The expansion of the shell in the heat closed them right up.

I picked this helmet up from a friend who bought it, wore it twice, hated the fit, and then stuffed it on a shelf for a couple years. In almost perfect shape when I got it, just a couple light scratches from moving it around. To the best of my knowledge (and his) this helmet has never had contact with the ground, floors or any kind of rough use at all. The is no visible damage (from impact or otherwise) to speak of showing at all (save for a couple very light scratches just above the logo in front), nor do I feel or see any displacement of the inner foam.

So here is the real question, why? What could have caused this?

Age? Hot/Cold cycles?
    I just replaced a S.Exo helmet this year for the same reason. 5-7 years old, and too many times in the W.TX/NM sun and back into AC.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Found this on the net,
      Heads Up For Safety: It takes a serious crash to make a true impression on the value of good headwear.

Pay no mind to the title,its about motorcycle helmets..lol

Comment

Working...
      X