X

gsxr rear wheel on a post kat COMPLETED lots of pics

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by katanaralph View Post
    How do i get in tough with you? How much do you want for it and how complete will it be? Rim,tire,rotor,axle,sprocket? or call at 502-379-0751.

If your talking to me about getting a kit like that... it all depends on what you want done by me, vs what you want to pick up or do yourself. Miyagi shipped alot of parts to me, and was very patient as I worked out the details for this paticular mod as it had some aspects I've not done before. He also painted all of his parts himself/had it done. I don't normally do paint unless your okay with rattle can.

I have some parts already for another mod to be done. Prices can range anywhere from $200 - $800 or more depending on how extensive you really want to go.

PM me, or email at [email protected]. PM is checked more often then email. Information about what you have, and what all you want helps to make it faster (I have to ask less quetions and wait for response that way).

I don't do this for a living... it's a hobby for me. Turn around is variable, but probably a decent estimate would be 30 days or so. I generally will be cheaper than getting it made from scratch (other from scratch swingers run starting around $800), but I don't do em for free.

Every single swinger is a one off from a used swinger... not a production run.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Nice job!!!
      This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
      BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

i hate to be nosey, but if i wanted the same set up on my 2000 kat what would it run me? i keep hearing about all these benifits of a wider rear tire in the rear, and i dont wanna go but a SS bike i like my kat atm. thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Mattsch18 View Post
          i hate to be nosey, but if i wanted the same set up on my 2000 kat what would it run me? i keep hearing about all these benifits of a wider rear tire in the rear, and i dont wanna go but a SS bike i like my kat atm. thanks
          honestly, a wider rear tire will be of no benefit on a kat, unless you do some other serious mods in order to actually need more tire. miyagi (and Krey) have done a very nice custom mod for this particular bike, but from what I gather in your post you believe wider is better. not true for the kats, the bike simply doesn't produce enough HP to need a wider rear tire. wider rear tires on kats is mostly cosmetic in nature, not an absolute must for optimal traction or handling. Now, if you were to do serious suspension upgrades, and serious engine upgrades (think 100+hp at the wheel), then you might need more tire...

Miyagi and Kreylyn, please do not decipher my post as bashing your work, for it is not. The work done here is very well done and absolutely stunning. I was simply trying to 'clear the air' for lack of a better term....

-t

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
          You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
            honestly, a wider rear tire will be of no benefit on a kat, unless you do some other serious mods in order to actually need more tire. miyagi (and Krey) have done a very nice custom mod for this particular bike, but from what I gather in your post you believe wider is better. not true for the kats, the bike simply doesn't produce enough HP to need a wider rear tire. wider rear tires on kats is mostly cosmetic in nature, not an absolute must for optimal traction or handling. Now, if you were to do serious suspension upgrades, and serious engine upgrades (think 100+hp at the wheel), then you might need more tire...

Miyagi and Kreylyn, please do not decipher my post as bashing your work, for it is not. The work done here is very well done and absolutely stunning. I was simply trying to 'clear the air' for lack of a better term....

-t
            Sounded pretty right on to me...

The only thing I would mention that is a change (or was an upgrade to me... depends on your ride style) is the fact the 180 tire and swingarm mod gave the bike a much more stable feel to me in the curves, and a much smoother transition. My regular passenger even coments on it regularly, and feels it was a huge improvement.

The best way for me to describe it... it's lets "twitchy" and when I'm in the middle of my apex, the bike doesn't feel like it want's to change that line... I pick the line, and the bike want's to keep it there. Previously, I always found myself correcting because it wanted to dip a bit more.

But that is just me. Some people want a much more active feeling bike. I wanted a more relaxed, smoother ride.

That said... 80% was for the look.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

teddy is right this mod atleast for my bike was just for the look of the wider wheel. i still have yet to ride the bike with this setup so i cant even say personaly if it feels different. i can say that if your going to do this mod (of course talk to krey) i would not suggest going with a post 2000 gsxr wheel. it took ALOT more work but defiantly looks amazing. krey has made alot of the pre 2000 gsxr wheel mods and in my opinion are just as nice and alot less work. in the end its up to you, your money, your bike but defiantly talk to krey

P.S. Teddy just wanted to say i have always loved your bike you know your stuff and did an awasome job. thank you for the kind words

Comment

Whether or not you take your katana to the limit is always better to have than to need in my opinion. A wider tire is appealing its makes it look just as good

Comment

Originally posted by XRacerX View Post
                  It looks a little too tall in the rear for my taste, but it is your bike. I hope you did something in the front to compensate for the ride height in the rear. The Katana came with nice, street friendly handling geometry. By raising the rear that much, you took a bunch of trail out of the front. That will make the bike fall into corners better, but your mid-corner frontend feedback will be horrible, and the bike will be twitchy in a straight line at high speeds. I understand that you raised the rear for looks, but there is a lot more going on with the geometry. If its just a bike that you cruise around on, then no big deal. But if you ride hard in the twisties, then you just radically changed your geometry. Good luck...
                  Maybe I just got lucky..or maybe the pre-98 was different. I added a Bandit 1200 shock to my 91 Kat..and it raised the rear @ 2". And I can't believe the difference in the bike.

- It rides much better on uneven surfaces...much more solid, no jitters.
                  - A LOT better riding two up

Now those things may be helped because I'm 6'3" 240lbs...so the stock Kat 600 suspension was a bit sloppy for me.

- The bike also turns in much quicker...that was a great benefit in my eyes..you definitely don't have to go into a curve as hard now, I find myself able to take familiar curves more than a bit faster, without realizing I'm going faster.

- Another benefit, and this may be imagined..after the 750 swap (still using 600 swingarm) the front wheel tried to get light every now and then. I don't notice that tendency as much since the shock was bolted on.

Comment

here's my question..... is this swingarm strong enough to be up on the rear wheel with it being cut and rewelded???

Comment

Originally posted by MclovinRR View Post
                      here's my question..... is this swingarm strong enough to be up on the rear wheel with it being cut and rewelded???
                      It's not a matter of strong enough for the wheel... it's not wide enough for the larger tires. Much over 170 for a pre Kat, or over 180 for a post kat on a 5.5 or larger wheel, the forks are not spread apart far enough.

More details in this thread....

A forum filled with write-ups, FAQ's, and visual aids for
                      mechanical & cosmetic modifications to your Katana.

For example, a 6" busa wheel with a 200 tire on it... is going to be wider at the edges of the tire than the swingarm, so stock the tire would rub.

By doing the cut/weld, It allows for a much sharper angle to "kick out" the forks wider to allow for room for the tire.

If your running extensions, or a tire size that is not going to rub... You can avoid the cut/weld kick out.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Comment

Krey, I think he is asking about doing wheelies on the modded arm....so I'll take a stab for ya if you don't mind...

Doing wheelies in general on a kat isn't the greatest of ideas to start with. It's a very heavy bike, and all that weight coming down on the front tends to blow out the fork seals with ease. Also the oil pickup in the oil pan isn't at such an angle to prevent oil starvation to vital engine components while up on one.

That being said, almost any part that has been cut and rewelded will be stronger at the weld than it was previously. Take a look at how small the areas he cut and rewelded are, they are small enough to not allow any lateral flex in such a manner. Also, remember that everything on a swingarm works together to essentially hold it together and be one strong unit.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                        You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by teddy View Post
                          Krey, I think he is asking about doing wheelies on the modded arm....so I'll take a stab for ya if you don't mind...

Doing wheelies in general on a kat isn't the greatest of ideas to start with. It's a very heavy bike, and all that weight coming down on the front tends to blow out the fork seals with ease. Also the oil pickup in the oil pan isn't at such an angle to prevent oil starvation to vital engine components while up on one.

That being said, almost any part that has been cut and rewelded will be stronger at the weld than it was previously. Take a look at how small the areas he cut and rewelded are, they are small enough to not allow any lateral flex in such a manner. Also, remember that everything on a swingarm works together to essentially hold it together and be one strong unit.
                          +1

Krey
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

very nice

Comment

Originally posted by Mafia Kuztoms View Post
                              Nice workmanship I like it; we went with a busa rear tail and swing arm (upside down) look. We went for the flashy look ladies like it.

THIS IS A KATANA?

Comment

Originally posted by Mozzy View Post
                                THIS IS A KATANA?

Yes its a 2003 750 katana, and its almost done. Just a few minor details

Comment

Working...
                                X