X

First leather jacket. Care tips?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by superbike View Post
    For my leathers I use the Lexol "ph" to clean them, (orange spray bottle) and the leather conditioner (brown bottle) to protect them.
    Same here, stuff is awesome. Also use the ph before I condition the leather in my car twice a month.
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

ALRIGHT!!!!!! This thread has me feeling soooooooooooo guilty.....it's raining.....and I have no excuse not to clean off the freakin' bugs! Are ya happy now???????????
      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
      ------------------------------------------
      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
        ALRIGHT!!!!!! This thread has me feeling soooooooooooo guilty.....it's raining.....and I have no excuse not to clean off the freakin' bugs! Are ya happy now???????????
        Better get to it!

Originally posted by steves View Post
        Read the link. I use the Lexol stuff all the way. That can of Wilson's was also acceptable for waterproofing ONLY.
        Thanks.
        How long would you expect 1 bottle to last? as in how many cleanings can you get out of 1 bottle.
        Last edited by LandoCommando; 08-21-2010, 04:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Leather is skin. I've used a thick skin cream on dry or cracked leather for years and it's the ideal product to clean, re-condition and protect it. Never seal leather, note the "Protectant" above is for everything BUT leather. You will seriously shorten it's life if you seal it. Leather shouldn't be completely waterproof, that's what waterproofs are for..
          The early bird may get the worm but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese...

sigpic '92 GSX750F, Motad 4-1 Exhaust, Conti Road Attacks (120/70 & 150/70)

Comment

Im getting conflicting input here. Some say use the Vinylex some say dont......

Or maybe I just can't read.
            Last edited by LandoCommando; 08-21-2010, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Vinylex is a product for vinyl, plastic, rubber and other man made products. As belgum noted, leather is skin, as in cow hide or kangaroo. If you use a product made for vinyl on a hide, it will eventually "crack" and start to peel. Many leather car seats that have been subjected to these type products are a good example of what I'm talking about. As Steve's said, read the thread, and I might add, read the directions on any of the products you might try. The good ones will say what they are specifically meant to be used on.

ps; Vinyl is a man-made product, ie: plastic and cloth. Leather is an all natural product, as stated earlier. I don't mean to be condescending, but if you don't know the difference, check the label on the jacket and see what material you actually bought.
              Last edited by superbike; 08-21-2010, 05:46 PM.

Comment

I definitely understand the difference. What threw me off to begin with was why he included it in his picture in the first place if its bad for leather.
                Last edited by LandoCommando; 08-21-2010, 07:05 PM.

Comment

It came in a kit that I bought. I could have sworn that the vinylx is suitable as a water proofing agent... but I can't remember specifically it's been a few years.
                  -Steve

sigpic
                  Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                  Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

frankly, i use "Pledge" moisturizing, with lemon oil. its suitable for use on leather couches, car seats, etc. its cleans, and protects, and leaves a nice citrus scent.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

"Mommy that man smells like lemons"
                      -Steve

sigpic
                      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I have to admit, that was damn funny

See My Garage for mods...
                        T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                        Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Boot polish
                          if your not living on the edge
                          you take up too much room

Comment

Lexol is awesome. I use the cleaner and protectant.

Comment

You guys clean the bugs off? I like to think they add character.

Comment

Anyone ever use Obenauf's Heavy Duty Leather Preservative? I'm thinking about getting it for my new Icon Accelerant leather jacket. It has amazing reviews on amazon:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003SKCARK/ref=gno_cart_title_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1B7M9EQGN CLQA"]Amazon.com: Obenauf's Heavy Duty LP 4oz - Preserves and Protects Leather - Made in the US: Automotive[/ame]

Manufacturer's claims: https://www.obenaufs.com/heavy-duty-lp-4oz

Or is lexol still the best thing for protecting my new jacket? I'll probably use it on all my other leathers (boots and gloves) too though.

Comment

Working...
                                X