X

Help - Open engine neglected bike :|

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    I don't see that the a/f screw would cause the issue, but 2.5 does sound a little far out for a UK spec bike
    Check the spec again and this should be 2.25 turns so will change that
    Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
    I'd expect a max of 24 hours, but more than 1-2 for making sure they don't leak
    I left this over night, after the fuel level stopped notably filling the carbs I checked every 20 mins and the level in the supply dropped by maybe 1 or 2 ml over 2.5 hrs. After 9 hrs there's about 10 ml less in the fuel feed so I presume it's evaporated maybe!? However there is no sign of anything having leaked from the carbs at all. So this suggests your point around boiling fuel could actually have been a potential cause after all.

Tempted to just put them back on the bike and see what happens as I can't see what else I can do to with the carbs given the results, any other thoughts?
    Last edited by Seft; 07-08-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seft View Post
      Check the spec again and this should be 2.25 turns so will change that

I left this over night, after the fuel level stopped notably filling the carbs I checked every 20 mins and the level in the supply dropped by maybe 1 or 2 ml over 2.5 hrs. After 9 hrs there's about 10 ml less in the fuel feed so I presume it's evaporated maybe!? However there is no sign of anything having leaked from the carbs at all. So this suggests your point around boiling fuel could actually have been a potential cause after all.

Tempted to just put them back on the bike and see what happens as I can't see what else I can do to with the carbs given the results, any other thoughts?
      Disconnect the fuel source when your done, but don't' spill any fuel from the carbs. Carefully drain the fuel line leaving the carbs upright. Then drain each bowl in a separate container to compare how much fuel.

That should tell you if the 10ml diff is evaporation, or one slowly filling up more so than the others, but not fast enough to leak out on you yet.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Disconnect the fuel source when your done, but don't' spill any fuel from the carbs. Carefully drain the fuel line leaving the carbs upright. Then drain each bowl in a separate container to compare how much fuel.

That should tell you if the 10ml diff is evaporation, or one slowly filling up more so than the others, but not fast enough to leak out on you yet.

Krey
        Infinity more sensible than my impatient stick them back on the bike and hope for the best system. Will do a retest...

Comment

Little bit cheaper... https://www.amazon.co.uk/d/Automotiv...ngle+carb+tool

Or something else may be similar in option. The one you linked would function a little easier/smoother, but that is a big price diff.

Krey
          I went with the posh bevel driver in the end, really nicely built, no play it at all and long enough to change the screws from one side of the bike, obviously I couldn't possibly move off my arse to the other side Also picked up a colortune plug from a friend so I'll use that as a quick way to see what's going on.

Am I right to assume that if I mess about with the air/fuel mix that this wont mean I need to re-balance the carbs with the manometer or have I misunderstood how they work?

Comment

• A/F has nothing to do with carb balance. No, worries there.
            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
            spammer police
            USAF veteran
            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• Well I can confirm that Colortune plugs are rubbish unless you want to tune your bike in the dark, that or my eyes are broken. 25 mile run out and no leaks, hard to tell if oil level is up with fuel, courtesy of a cold can't really smell much. Will test again tomorrow after taking a pic of the oil level from fixed spot. Hmm....

Comment

• Hopefully all my carb dismantling is over for this year, has anyone any advice on fuel additives such as this http://www.putoline.co.uk/shop/fuel-...tioner-325-ml/ is it something that's worth using as a preventive measure to help keep things clean? Is there any harm that might come from trying this stuff out?

Comment

• No disrespect, but man this thread is totally too long.
                  Try to stick to one topic and start a new thread when you change subjects.
                  The reason is people lose interest and that causes them to be disconcerned about helping-no help. Everyone has to read a 15 pages just to catch up and understand whats going on. By then no one cares.
                  But, in reguards to your last question. Since your in the UK, I doubt many of us will be much help, considering most of us are in the USA. Search the gerneral internet (Google, if they've not been banned from the UK yet )
                  Now the next person will have to back track several replies to understand whats going on...Understand ?
                  My Katana-1100 17" wheel swap
                  http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=136894

Comment

• Originally posted by Seft View Post
                    Hopefully all my carb dismantling is over for this year, has anyone any advice on fuel additives such as this http://www.putoline.co.uk/shop/fuel-...tioner-325-ml/ is it something that's worth using as a preventive measure to help keep things clean? Is there any harm that might come from trying this stuff out?
                    I've used Redex a few times over the years, on the GSXF and my Marauder 125. Similar stuff. The only time I've had a problem is when I took some bad advice from a guy who claimed to know his stuff and told me to use half a bottle to a tank, which is apparently what you should use on a car engine

Comment

Working...
                    X