New User looking at a bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New User looking at a bike

Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the forum and I am considering purchasing an older Suzuki but I have a few concerns (and most likely a few follow up questions).

Tweedehands, nieuwe en occassions Suzuki Motoren kopen of gratis verkopen? Het meest diverse gebruikte aanbod van België. Eenvoudig, persoonlijk en relevant.

This bike is listed as a 550 katana which from my research doesn't make much sense. Ive browsed this site and Google and im pretty sure this is actually an 82 model. Could anyone confirm this?

The owner states that the bike runs but doesnt give much more information. I am tempted by its looks and price tag (college student).
    I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge but I am not up to rebuilding motors etc.

What do you think?

I will be speaking with the owner in a few hours over the phone and will keep you updated if interested.

Thank you for your help and advice

tloo

Originally posted by tloo9290 View Post
    Hello everyone,

I am a new member to the forum and I am considering purchasing an older Suzuki but I have a few concerns (and most likely a few follow up questions).

Tweedehands, nieuwe en occassions Suzuki Motoren kopen of gratis verkopen? Het meest diverse gebruikte aanbod van België. Eenvoudig, persoonlijk en relevant.

This bike is listed as a 550 katana which from my research doesn't make much sense. Ive browsed this site and Google and im pretty sure this is actually an 82 model. Could anyone confirm this?

The owner states that the bike runs but doesnt give much more information. I am tempted by its looks and price tag (college student).
    I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge but I am not up to rebuilding motors etc.

What do you think?

I will be speaking with the owner in a few hours over the phone and will keep you updated if interested.

Thank you for your help and advice

tloo
    [ame="http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_GSX_550"]Suzuki GSX 550 – Wikipedia[/ame]

82-86 years produced. After that they started making the GSX600f in 88 which is the full fairing "pre" kats as we call them. No confusing them, big difference.

Some locations may not assign a year to a vehicle until it's first tagged for road use, so that could potentially be the discrepancy...

Over all... most Suzuki oil cooled engines and carbs are pretty good. I wouldn't expect that you need to do an engine rebuild on it. Carb rebuild probably for sure, but that's carbs.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Krey,

Thank you for your rapid response. I anticipated having to do a carb rebuild and things such as fluid and brakes.

Are there any major things to look out for when buying one of these bikes (other than the usual rust, leaks etc)?

thanks

tloo
      Last edited by tloo9290; 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X