Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Post Kat - Starter Cover or Stator Cover?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Kat - Starter Cover or Stator Cover?

Hey guys,

Been thinking of buying a brand new "starter" cover for my Kat since the P.O. scratched up the original a whole bunch when the bike was dropped at very low speed on some gravel... I'm just getting tired of looking at one of the last few things to fix before my bike looks like it should have prior to the drop.

Anywho....

Can someone confirm some part #'s for me? I've got an eBay link (below) for a Starter Cover and gasket, but the seller insists that it's a "stator" cover.

Here's the link:

And here's the part #'s he's listing for the cover and gasket:

11351-26E01

11483-27A20

Can someone confirm these manufacturer's/part numbers? I want to make sure I'm ordering the correct thing.
    2005 Suzuki Katana GSX 600
    - Aaron

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks Krey. Looks like what I'm looking for is #15 which is indeed a starter gear cover.

I'm guessing you guys order from RonAyers all the time because of the price difference?
      - Aaron

Comment

Aaron, it covers both the starter gears and the stator.

Comment

tomato/tomahto it depends on who you ask. I got this one and it works just fine. Especially seeing as it is $100 cheaper.

My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
          2007 GSXR 750

Comment

It does depend on who you ask, but a lot of people are clueless. Example, a Katana doesn't have a "stator" When people refer to the stator cover, they are talking about the signal generator cover. Which is on the opposite side of the starter gear cover. I never order from Ron Ayers unless it's something I don't need until next month. They are slower than the speed of smell. A stator is part of a traditional alternator, in that it converts kinetic energy into electrical energy to charge the battery. An alternator, which a Katana has, is made up of a stator and a rotor. A Katana is one of only a handful of motorcycles to use a true alternator. Many bikes, especially motorcycles with mechanical technology surpassing that of Henry Ford use just a stator. A Katana is not in that category.
            Last edited by arsenic; 06-09-2014, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by maniac1886 View Post
              I got this one and it works just fine. Especially seeing as it is $100 cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Engine-Cover...74fff8&vxp=mtr
              +1 got one too, and bolted it in just last week, and unlike the ebay pic, it does have the suzuki emblem just like the original. so it's not just a cover with a plane surface.

Comment

This is how it looks like>

it replaced this>

.. and under that, there's this>

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                  It does depend on who you ask, but a lot of people are clueless. Example, a Katana doesn't have a "stator" When people refer to the stator cover, they are talking about the signal generator cover. Which is on the opposite side of the starter gear cover. I never order from Ron Ayers unless it's something I don't need until next month. They are slower than the speed of smell. A stator is part of a traditional alternator, in that it converts kinetic energy into electrical energy to charge the battery. An alternator, which a Katana has, is made up of a stator and a rotor. A Katana is one of only a handful of motorcycles to use a true alternator. Many bikes, especially motorcycles with mechanical technology surpassing that of Henry Ford use just a stator. A Katana is not in that category.
                  You really make me laugh fella

Correct there is no stator as such but the part the signal generator is bolted to is commonly known as the stator plate hence the term

The cover the other side covers the starter CLUTCH

The statement about about katanas being one of the few that use an alternator really made me spit my coffee over the screen would you like me to list the current models that use an alternator along with the models from the last 30 years ....... it will take a while
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Did you have to drain the oil to take that cover off?

Comment

If you're replacing covers spend the money on NRC covers, they can take a crash with out cracking.
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Telling people on KR to spend money is like going to the dentist to get your dog neutered.

Comment

Originally posted by Gave85 View Post
                          I'm really curious about this too cause I JUST did an oil change on my kat. Hopefully I don't have to redrain the oil at all.
                          - Aaron

Comment

If it's leaning on the side stand, oil is gonna leak out of there badly. If you have a center stand, than oil leakage will be minimal.

Comment

Originally posted by Gave85 View Post
                              Sure did .. I've had that cover for some time now, was just waiting to approuch an oil change interval to take it off and bolt on the new one.

Originally posted by arsenic
                              Telling people on KR to spend money is like going to the dentist to get your dog neutered.
                              not my case, just this season I spent over a 1200 Euros on my bike so far, which includes a Wilbers rear shock, rebuilt forks with progressive springs, new rubber front and rear, Supersprox-stealth sprockets and D.I.D 530vx chain .. just to mention a few but the list goes on, and in the mail ATM are 4 new carb rebuild kits + a petcock rebuild kit just because I found a few drops of gas in the airbox.. don't have the nerve to investigate which carb was flooding, or was it only the petcock.. new O rings, gaskets, membranes, float needles everywhere where applicable just let there be peace.
                              Mind you, all these investments are in a bike that has a resale value second to none .. where I'm at, nobody would ever buy it off of me for more 600-700 Euros even with all the mods, repairs and aftermarkets parts, so all expenses are non-refundable.

But the thing about this cover is that it was unnecessary but an accidental cheap finding on ebay .. the original was just cosmetically damaged but still fully functional, so changing it wasn't at all a necessity. btw., the orig. doesn't look half as ugly in real life as it does in the pic I posted, the "ugliness" was amplified by the camera flash.

Originally posted by 92xjunker
                              If you're replacing covers spend the money on NRC covers, they can take a crash with out cracking.
                              For me, if the bike ever gets laid down or crashes, it stays down .. don't think I'll go through the hassle of replacing or fully repainting fairings, replacing cracked engine covers and welding plastics ..

Comment

Working...
                              X