X

Repairing Fairings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repairing Fairings

Last few days I have been working on the cracked fairings for my gsx600f, where the Original owner had dropped the bike. I had to remove the filler epoxy putty my friend used to try and repair the fairings. Once cleaned, I beveled the edges on both sides for all the cracks in the two fairings. Next I got out my yardsale find...A harbor freight hot air plastic welding gun with plastic welding rods. I fired it up and welded the cracks front and backside. I have pics I will post tonight. I figure I will use a light filler material, then sand for paint prep. Though with time constraints, I may put everything together and clean/prep/paint at a later date. I need to get her on the road asap for good transportation.

Regards,

Will
    Last edited by willburrrr2003; 02-26-2013, 05:51 PM.
    Will R. Everett,WA

"I am not in a hurry to die....just to live before I die" ---Me

Looking forward to seeing pictures of the repair job.
    sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
    1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
    2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
    First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
    Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

you can use abs cement as filler and for repairs.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

^ +1, Or this product by Evercoat called Maxim...it's a 2 part urethane adheasive in a caulking tube with mixing stem attachments. Amazing at repairing, buiding up, filling pretty much whatever you need to do to abs fairings , car bumpers, shoes etc....
        "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Let me know how this works because the same exact thing happened to me. I bought my bike 3 years ago and the owner "dropped it in the garage." The scratches were horizontal so I know he laid it down on a turn, but I got a great deal on the bike!
          2003 Katana 600
          Loud and Proud

Comment

Finally got my pics uploaded to share with you all.

here is my hot air welder:

Next I will get some filler, and paint....

regards,

Will
            Will R. Everett,WA

"I am not in a hurry to die....just to live before I die" ---Me

Comment

Working...
            X