No announcement yet.
X

Is 60 - 65* too warm for a choke start?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is 60 - 65* too warm for a choke start?

I have cleaned the carbs, set the float height, and sync'd the carbs. It runs pretty well. Early morning temps are around 40*. Obviously, I'm using the choke in the am, no issues. The bike sits all day, and when i'm leaving from work, it's been about 60 - 65*. The bike just won't start without adding a little choke. Once it is started, I can remove the choke and the idle is a little erratic, until the engine warms up, then it is fine.
    I'm just trying to figure out if i have an issue? - or am i just looking for a problem that doesn't exist? - thanks!

You seriously have no problems.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Your bikes going to break down tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyZ View Post
        Your bikes going to break down tomorrow.

No worries dude.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post

No worries dude.
          Somebody may have got to bed with nightmares.
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

youre fine, you should start your bike with choke every time regardless of temp. but you can ease down on the choke sooner when its warmer outside. Remember another thing. 1-2 minute is not enough warmup time even when its hot outside. Touch the cover on the left side of your gearbox. its most likely stone cold even after 2 minutes.

bon voyage
            2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

The need for a choke on the Kat is more related to engine temperature - not air temperature. If the engine is cold - in summer or winter - use the choke. You might just need to vary the amount and duration depending on air temp - as the engine will be closer to and reach it's operating temp range sooner in summer. Also, once warm but left to sit for a while, it will require re-choking sooner in winter than summer because the engine will cool faster. It's a "feel thing" - you'll get used to what the bike wants.

Comment

Think of it this way, the engine wants to run with the oil temp around 250 degrees F. If it's 40 degrees on startup that's 16% of operating temp. 65 degrees is 26%. Either way, it's significantly below the temp it's designed and tuned for. The choke adjusts that mixture to allow the bike to run at those lower temps. Once you get the engine started though, thanks to the combustion, the inner walls of the cylinder are going to warm up really quick (meaning you can back off on the choke) and that heat will help start the combustion. The heat will eventually dissipate into the rest of the engine, giving a nice, steady temp in the cylinder but that takes a few minutes. The cooler the engine is when you start, the longer it will be before that happens and you can completely back off the choke.
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Thanks.. I appreciate it. Hadn't really thought of it that way.. was looking more at outside temps.. plus I suppose I'm a wee bit jealous of the EFI bikes..

and.. MikeyZ, I didn't ride today.. but IF my bike breaks down tomorrow.. I'm comin' for you!

Comment

Originally posted by fatkat45 View Post
                    Thanks.. I appreciate it. Hadn't really thought of it that way.. was looking more at outside temps.. plus I suppose I'm a wee bit jealous of the EFI bikes..

and.. MikeyZ, I didn't ride today.. but IF my bike breaks down tomorrow.. I'm comin' for you!
                    Cool farm eh???....I mean forum,
                    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

No doubt, one of the best place I've visited on the web. I have worked on cars my entire life.. but the bike intimidated me a lot. I paid for a bunch of service on my first bike, but I've been able to get my hands pretty dirty on the Kat. The info in here has been awesome. Thanks to you all!

Comment

More to this site than meets the eye....... if you hang around you'll know what I mean.
                        89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                        96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Working...
                        X