Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Speed Sensor tapping -- which wire (Pink or Orange/Red)?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed Sensor tapping -- which wire (Pink or Orange/Red)?

OK, given:
    (1) I'm tired and brain-fried after too many hours awake (& not enough asleep)... AND
    (2) 98+ Wiring Diagram and
    (3) I need to tap the signal from speed sensor (tranny output shaft pulse generator)... AND
    (4) And it has three wires going to it -- black/white, orange/red, and pink... AND
    (5) And I need to leech that pulse signal for my chain oiler to compute when to pump another drop out...

Now I know I need to tap either the pink or the orange/red wire, but I can't tell which. Anyone know?

PS - for the electro-tech-heads here, the OEM test procedure for the speed sensor might clue you in (but it didn't clarify it enough for my sleep addled brain):
    Given the speed sensor, put a 10k Ohm resistor inline on the pink wire, then check the voltage on each side of the resistor to test the device -- if working correctly, it should pulse 0 to 12 volts (or whatever the battery voltage is) and back to zero each time it gets a hall-effect sense (i.e. - each time metal passes through the magnetic field of the sensor).

I'm guessing orange/red is the power feed to it, with black/white the common ground (because black/wire shows a common ground with the blinkers on the wiring diagram), leaving pink as the signal coming back -- but I might be backwards on those two. Either way, if I can't find an answer here, I guess I'll know tomorrow when I latch on a multimeter and see if orange/red is continuously hot... But maybe someone could save me the effort, and I'd be greatful.

I'm off to bed & maybe sleep if I'm lucky...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

according to the test procedure, the pink wire is the wire you need to tap. the wiring diagram is useless as it is not detailed enough. but the test procedure says to put the resistor on the pink wire and read voltage across it and look for the voltage to pulse (I assume you would have to spin the rear wheel to cause this pulse) so that should be the wire you're looking for.

Comment

Thanks Bob!

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
      X