X

Cool brake rotors...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool brake rotors...

Anyone seen this type of brake rotors before? They sure make the bike look unique. This guy had his bike stolen, but recovered (it was easy to identify on the visual description)...

- Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Those are unique....gues thats why they found the bike easily...:P
    Info for the Ottawa Motorcycle Course

sigpic

Comment

Those are commonly refered to as "perimeter mounted" rotors. I have not seen that particular wheel/rotor combo, but I like it.

There are a few companies using similiar brakes on their production bikes (sorry I don't remember who).

edited after confusion was removed via Steve.
      AMA member # 224227

Comment

yea, buell likes to use those on their bikes. i think they're awsome. they really open up the front wheel and you can see it better. i like them.
        if its got 2 wheels or a skirt....i'll ride it.

Comment

The downside to them is that they greatly increase the rotational mass of the wheel, slowing down handling, but they do look cool and work.

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

that looks cool!
            Hello World.

Comment

they're definately an aquired taste...not sure if i like them just yet..but if it affects handling like it obviously appears it would, then no thanks

Comment

Looks Cool. I do like my setup on the kat though. I wouldn't mind getting those Gaffler Wave Rotors. Those look pretty nice!
                Kan-O-Gixxer!
                -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                -Ohlins Susupension
                -Various Other Mods

Comment

Actually, they're called "Perimeter" brakes, not "Radial" brakes.

Anyway, there's no advantage to them other than poser factor. They do, in fact, add to the MoI of the wheel due to them being further away from the hub and the extra weight. To offset the difference, you will find that bikes with perimeter brakes have only one rotor versus two.

I cannot say that I would want them. I'd take a nice set of PVM brakes over those ANY day.
                  -Steve

Comment

Originally posted by stevnmd
                    Actually, they're called "Perimeter" brakes, not "Radial" brakes.

Anyway, there's no advantage to them other than poser factor. They do, in fact, add to the MoI of the wheel due to them being further away from the hub and the extra weight. To offset the difference, you will find that bikes with perimeter brakes have only one rotor versus two.

I cannot say that I would want them. I'd take a nice set of PVM brakes over those ANY day.
                    Agreed, it would definately add lots to the MoI. One advantage I can think of would be the added cooling with the larger surface... and on this photo it does seem like this one has two rotors.

Naw, I wouldn't want such a set either, there are better ways to spend that money. But it does make the bike look unique...

What's PVM brakes?
                    - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                      Looks Cool. I do like my setup on the kat though. I wouldn't mind getting those Gaffler Wave Rotors. Those look pretty nice!
                      Bike is sold

Comment

Originally posted by Spedee
                        Originally posted by SweetLou
                        you take every opportunity, don't you?
                        - Samuel

My 1988 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow
                          What's PVM brakes?

6 piston monoblocks.

Gee, and an automatic image resize would sure come in handy in this thread.
                          -Steve

Comment

Ohhh, those are nice, only $4k for a Gixxer set up! Those are the first calipers that I have ever drooled over.

I know this guy that knows the code to do auto image resizing...oh wait, that was you.
                            AMA member # 224227

Comment

spedees are very nice! which are they??
                              West of Germany
                              greetz Carsten

Comment

Working...
                              X