X

First long <for me> ride

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First long <for me> ride

I am pretty much a daily driver of my katana. I ride her everywhere I can but it is easy when most places are less then 30 miles away and my work is 7 miles from my house. The longest ride I have ever had was riding to the yacht club which lasted me about 45 minutes to an hour.

Well that all changed this past weekend as I decided to ride my bike up to Penn State to move my brother in. So I strapped on my gear, grabbed a backpack of clothes, and checked my bike over (note to self tires need changed out soon.....lol)

I began the ride in the afternoon and hopped on the turnpike for the first leg only to be nailed in construction and sat for about an hour. So I turned off my bike and walked it in the lane everytime there was a 5 foot creep forward. When i saw that we were starting to break I started my girl back up and off we went. Though I did get quite a few odd looks from people as my bike was off and I was just pushing her. People kept asking if I was out of gas, needed help fixing something or a phone, and had a HD guy ask if my import finally died on me.... He was sitting on the side of the road further up either fixing his bike or waiting for it to cool down as I continued to move and waved at him while passing.....

Once through the construction traffic started to pick up again. I was in the left lane passing a semi when something flew by my head. It was a piece of rubber from his tire ripping apart. I took a small chunk of rubber to the head as I floored it to gt around him. The car behind me had a nice dented front bumper as the tire retread slammed into her. Luckily a police officer was at the construction zone so only took a few moments for him to come up for the woman. (I had pulled over as I witnessed it and to regain my nerves some as it was a close call).

The rest of the trip was uneventful and wonderful. I loved driving through the mountains and seeing everything. I am not used to biking these distances so i had to stop twice to let me knees relax and my back to get back in place. About an hour of riding then a small 5 minute break. Not too bad in my books.

It was well worth it to ride the bike up as well. Just seeing people turn their heads at my baby was soo cool. On Friday night i noticed that the Corvette and HD owners that used to park their car and motorcycle outside of the church on mainstreet to show off their LED lighting were still there from when I went to school. (They are locals who spent perhaps $40 at pep boys on lighting). Being the *** that I am I decided to park next to them. (free motorcycle parking too so could not go wrong)

The HD owner was chatting to some girls about his insane lighting and then had some off hand comments about my bike being a weak import. Now normally I am all about bikers being bikers and not model driven but I had a bad taste from the turnpike the day before and then this guy. So I asked him about his lighting and he just started gloating about his bike and lighting. The girls said something abotu my bike needing lighting too which he laughed at asking why you would put lights on a crotch rocket. I merely smiled and said because it looks cool as I hit the button on my remote and fired her up. My 122 lights put his maybe 30 lights to shame and the girls proceeded to oggle my bike for the next 5 minutes and many others came over to see her as well. I felt like I was at a bike show and had an insane custom bike as people were coming over and asking tons of questions. It was great and even better to see the a**hole HD guy ****ed that he lost the spotlight to a crotch rocket.

While driving around campus the next day I also saw a very clean red post Katana at Hooters so if that was someone's bike on here it is a beaut.

I also got to test ride a Ducati and Tiger at the bike shop during their Ducati demo days. I found out that they allow test rides of everythign they sell so I will be going back up there before I buy my next bike as I like to ride one before I buy it so no suprises to feel and handling of new bike.

The ride home was uneventful and wonderful. It was a lot cooler so I was not sweating it up in full gear and the tunes on the ipod were perfect.

Can't wait to do it again.
    I am a Penn State fanatic.
    Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Congrats on completing the first long haul of what I'm sure will be many! It's always nice too, when you can get a few jabs in at the HD set!!

Stay safe out there.
    2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
    BMC Notorious 918 HT
    2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

Originally posted by soulpatch View Post
      I began the ride in the afternoon and hopped on the turnpike for the first leg only to be nailed in construction and sat for about an hour. So I turned off my bike and walked it in the lane everytime there was a 5 foot creep forward. When i saw that we were starting to break I started my girl back up and off we went. Though I did get quite a few odd looks from people as my bike was off and I was just pushing her. People kept asking if I was out of gas, needed help fixing something or a phone, and had a HD guy ask if my import finally died on me.... He was sitting on the side of the road further up either fixing his bike or waiting for it to cool down as I continued to move and waved at him while passing.....

Once through the construction traffic started to pick up again. I was in the left lane passing a semi when something flew by my head. It was a piece of rubber from his tire ripping apart. I took a small chunk of rubber to the head as I floored it to gt around him. The car behind me had a nice dented front bumper as the tire retread slammed into her. Luckily a police officer was at the construction zone so only took a few moments for him to come up for the woman. (I had pulled over as I witnessed it and to regain my nerves some as it was a close call).

Theres nothing like long trips! I've taken some spur of the moment mexico rides out to Baja and i love every minute!

Sorry to hear about the traffic!!

Out here in Cali we shoot between the lanes when trafic is slow or stopped. YES...its LEGAL out here!

I was relocated out to Kansas city a while ago and I got a ticket for riding in between lanes. They called it Stradling lanes! I dont know if that would be possible on a bike to be moving and be in 2 lanes at once....LOL...

Comment

The girls said something abotu my bike needing lighting too which he laughed at asking why you would put lights on a crotch rocket. I merely smiled and said because it looks cool as I hit the button on my remote and fired her up. My 122 lights put his maybe 30 lights to shame and the girls proceeded to oggle my bike for the next 5 minutes and many others came over to see her as well. I felt like I was at a bike show and had an insane custom bike as people were coming over and asking tons of questions. It was great and even better to see the a**hole HD guy ****ed that he lost the spotlight to a crotch rocket.
        That's a Kodak Moment!
        sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

I did not have my camera on me or else I would have had some pictures for the other thread on here with some college chicks on my bike. I might have to go back up for a night.... lol
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

Do it, and take a pic of the HD as he be back with multiple "search lights" on the bike to out shine yours, lol.
            sigpic

"You can make more friends in two months by becoming interested in other people than you can in two years by trying to get other people interested in you."

Comment

Congrats. This is the first of many long rides for you.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

The Kat is pretty good for long rides.
                My next one is to Floridia by way of the museaum at Barber.
                Texas is on the schedule for next year also.

Comment

I must be addicted..... I try to ride at least two hours every day just for the fun of it. The Kat's about to turn 69000k and it purrs.....snarls when it has to. (Note to self: you may need new tires next spring).
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

I am glad you enjoyed your trip.

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                      I must be addicted..... I try to ride at least two hours every day just for the fun of it. The Kat's about to turn 69000k and it purrs.....snarls when it has to. (Note to self: you may need new tires next spring).

69k that's great. I was wondering how long these bikes go for. I mean I know some cars are good for 200k and up, at least all the ones I've owned. I've got a lot of time before I hit 69k on my bike though, so that's good news!!

Comment

Any thing mechanical depend on how well you take care of it. I learned it the hard way with my first couple cars. Since then I take good care of the engine and anything mechanical as priority. Believe it or not my 4th car is still running strong after 150K which I also use as my track car. O yeah, have a turbo kit to bolt onto it too!

Take good care of your beloved and in return they will take good care of you
                        sigpic

Comment

Construction traffic sucks! My ride to work is 40 minutes 20 of the that highway.Long rides fun, I rode down to the Rally this year. Total miles was about 950 in 24 hours. Before that my longest was 1.5 hours. I want to take a couple of long rides next year. Hopefully this will be your first of many.Construction traffic sucks AGAIN!!
                          sigpic

RIP CP
                          50th Anniv R6
                          95 Katana 600
                          http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

congrats on your first long ride. I just completed my first really long ride last night.
                            [FONT=Georgia]Gonna miss you guys and gals, be safe!!

Comment

Working...
                            X