X

Installed some headlight modulators

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installed some headlight modulators

I installed some headlight modulators this weekend and MANNN! Do they make a difference. People immediately notice you when you are coming up behind them. They move out the passing lane and let you by. They see you at stop lights and adhere to you passing. Truthfully, I think they believe I'm the police and become alert. Whatever they think, I like how they become alert. I encourage all bike riders to get them if you haven't already. Heres the link if you are interested.

"Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

How hard was it to install?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

They surely improve visability, but I have to say that when I'm in my car and there's a bike around me with that mod I find it very annoying. If they're behind me I feel like they wanna pass, even if they don't, and when they continue to follow even if I change lanes I feel the urge to slam on the brakes. Of course I don't do it and the rider probably doesn't even realize he's annoying me, but it's like a car constantly flashing their brights at you and continuing to follow even if you change lanes. Again, not his fault, we may be going to the same place - just annoying.

I just stick with my brights on during the day - so far, so good.

Glad you are happy with the results, just be aware that a guy in front of you on a one lane road may start to get annoyed after a while...
      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

wow, and this is legal?

Comment

Originally posted by Yellow2002Kat
          They surely improve visability, but I have to say that when I'm in my car and there's a bike around me with that mod I find it very annoying. If they're behind me I feel like they wanna pass, even if they don't, and when they continue to follow even if I change lanes I feel the urge to slam on the brakes. Of course I don't do it and the rider probably doesn't even realize he's annoying me, but it's like a car constantly flashing their brights at you and continuing to follow even if you change lanes. Again, not his fault, we may be going to the same place - just annoying.

Glad you are happy with the results, just be aware that a guy in front of you on a one lane road may start to get annoyed after a while...
          I know they increase your chances of being seen and that's always a good thing, but personally I find headlight modulators to be a step too far.

Tail/brake light modulators are another story all together...I LOVE those!
          I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by toezter
            wow, and this is legal?
            Not in all states - you have to check you local laws. I know it's legal in Florida, and presumably Alabama.

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan

I know they increase your chances of being seen and that's always a good thing, but personally I find headlight modulators to be a step too far.

Tail/brake light modulators are another story all together...I LOVE those!
              If we agree, why am I stupid?

Comment

Originally posted by toezter
                wow, and this is legal?
                Not in all states - you have to check you local laws. I know it's legal in Florida, and presumably Alabama.
                Actually, it's legal for motorcycles during the daytime in all 50 states by US code 49CFR571 (and no state can make a law abridging that code), as is running highbeams during the daytime on a motorcycle.

Headlight modulators are also now legal in all of Canada (effective 19 Nov '01, see techncial standard doc 108 revision 3), which is based on the US regulation listed above.

The modulators have limits on how bright they can modulate (no brighter than the highbeam bulbs would be anyway), how dim they can modulate (not less than 17% of brightness) and how fast they cycle (200 to 280 cycles per minute), and that they have to shut off when it's dark outside.

If more of you want these modulators (or any other Kissan products), please contact me. I am putting together a group-purchase with my dealer discount through Kissan. If I can get five of you on-board for them, we can save a good 20%.

Cheers,
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

It took me about 15 minutes to install them. They simple conect to the back of the light bulb and the light socket of the bike. Its more of a go between. They come with a light sensor which is not shown on there web picture. I installed my light sensor by the alarm led (yeah I got a bike alarm). However, you can simple place the sensor anywhere sunlight can be recieved. I thought it would be annoying as well, but then I thought about my safety. I don't know about where you all live but most car drivers here drive as if they hate motorcycles. So it was safety first with me.
                  "Knowledge comes from finding the answers, yes, but understanding what the answers mean is what brings wisdom. Men who didn’t understand the difference have been the ruin of some of the world’s greatest civilizations." - Lionel Luthor

Comment

I forgot, you can turn the modulation off also by simple turning off your high beams. They only work on high beam during the daylight.

Comment

It's just a fun little smilie...relax. :
                      I like you. When the world is mine your death will be quick and painless.

Comment

Originally posted by Wingspan

It's just a fun little smilie...relax. :
                        OK, I get it now :bigfinger

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          If more of you want these modulators (or any other Kissan products), please contact me. I am putting together a group-purchase with my dealer discount through Kissan. If I can get five of you on-board for them, we can save a good 20%.

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          I'm in if you can get a group discount.
                          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Working...
                          X