Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fuel tank question

Hy guys
    help me , please:
    to remove the fuel tank (for carb synch or check spark plugs) can I do it without remove the upper fairing?

thanx
    stef from italy
    '00 gsxf600

You can remove the fuel tank without removing the upper fairing. You should be able to get the spark plugs out, however if you need to remove the carbs to set the pilot screws you will likely need to take the fairing off.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

If you remove the screws by the rear of the tank..
      You can spread the fairings..

Comment

Yes, you can remove the fuel tank without removing the upper fairings.

Word of caution: Do not pull straight up on the tank or you risk bending the U-channel that the tank sits in. Pull the tank straight back (towards the rear of the bike) for about 4-6", then lift straight up. This is assuming you disconnected all the lines (3) and the fuel sensor connector.

Also, place the tank on something soft as to prevent marring the underside.

Comment

Actually tilt up the rear and it will come straight up..

Comment

thanx, but.....

.....if I have to syncronize the carb, can I do it only removing the fuel tank?

thanks a lot
            stef

Comment

Yes, as long as you don't have any need to adjust the screws for the pilot jets.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                Everytime I tried tilting the rear of the fuel tank, I felt a mechanical interference with the U-channel. By pulling straight back, you eliminate the risk of bending the mating piece.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  Your U-channel grabs are already bent or your rubber rest is worn down. My guess is that the u-channel arms on the underside of the tank are already slightly bent from some previous owner doing the same. It doesn't take much pressure to bent that metal.

Originally posted by FloridaKat
                  Everytime I tried tilting the rear of the fuel tank, I felt a mechanical interference with the U-channel. By pulling straight back, you eliminate the risk of bending the mating piece.
                  You learn well, grasshopper! It's great to see knowledge spreading out like vines growing across the ground (glee!).

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by steves
                    however if you need to remove the carbs to set the pilot screws you will likely need to take the fairing off.
                    Wanna bet ? Just take the tank off like you said before , unbolt the carbs and airbox (if you got one ) , then the carbs slip right up and out . I can change my pilot setting in 20 minutes , INCLUDING the time it takes to dig my tools out , put them away , and wipe my hands when I'm done . I think I did it in about 10 yesterday , actually ....
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

personally I would remove the fairings that way you lessen the chances of stratching and or spilling something on them it only takes an extra 5 mins to remove the fairings.

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                        You learn well, grasshopper! It's great to see knowledge spreading out like vines growing across the ground (glee!).
                        Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        That's gotta be worth a +1 to me?.

Yes, after you showed me the proper way of removing the tank, when I had to do it on my own to re-route and adjust my clutch cable, I remembered my learnings. Thanks.

Wax on, wax off.....

Comment

Originally posted by andrehendricken
                          personally I would remove the fairings that way you lessen the chances of stratching and or spilling something on them it only takes an extra 5 mins to remove the fairings.
                          +1

Comment

Working...
                          X