X

2000 Katana 600 Engine swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2000 Katana 600 Engine swap

Just wanted to say hello to everyone. I just got a 00 katana 600 and over the winter i wanted to make some serious modifications, what is the largest engine i could put on the current frame

Bandit 1200 or kat 1100 both should fit without modding iirc. If you have it mod its very minor, no cutting.
    The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

gixxer 1127 oil cooled engine works too, but Bandit 1200 is the biggest.

Comment

hello and welcome keep up posted on the swap if you do it
        sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

so when you go with the bigger motor, do you have to change the wiring harness?
          << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
          KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

Thanks for the info when i start the mods i will keep everyone posted but they wont start till around october or november

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT View Post
              so when you go with the bigger motor, do you have to change the wiring harness?
              only if you want it to work

Comment

Couldnt you just splice the new CDI in where the old one was? I'd rather solder 10 wires than swap out the entire harness. Or are there more differences I'm not thinking of right now?
                The fuel injected Katana project

Comment

Any oil cooled suzuki engine will fit in any oil cooled suzuki frame with very minor mods, bottom rear engine mount MAY need drilling on the frame to account for the larger bolt on some engines fuel tap may catch the carbs on certain models due o the slightly taller 1127 or 1157 engines

you will need an oil cooler that has enough capacity to suit the bigger engine & the stock exhaust probably wont fit, A sump & oil pickup change MAY cure this

the 600 cdi will run the 1100 engines but the rev limiter is set too high, imo you'd be better changing the loom & cdi complete unless you are very gentle on the throttle

some engines have two pickups rather than one so you MAY need to sort that depending on the engine you use

theres a couple more bits to be aware off but that should give you an idea of the problems you face
                  Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Ok, Iam doing the same swap with a 2006 600 kat using the 89 gsxr 1127 motor. I have the matching cdi and carbs, but now its dumb question time. What is a "loom" could you be more spacific?

Comment

loom is European speak for harness

Comment

this all seems like a lot of work. especially for someone who never has worked on bikes really. how many hours do you guys think it would take for someone who knew what they were doing , to do an engine swap?
                        and as for you guys who have done this mod(bigger motor)how much did it cost you when you were all done?
                        and how long did it take?
                        did you do most of the work yourself?
                        << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                        KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

eh...... 98+ wiring...... TPS sensor..... bah!

I'll stick with the old ones.........

Really, the actual swapping of motors is simple and quick. The wiring and whatnot might be another story. If you swapped a complete B12 motor in, I don't think it would be too bad. I'd keep the 600 Cdi, honestly. The B12 redlines at 10,500..... and the Kat 600 at 11,000...... just keep an eye on the tach, but if you over-rev, it's only by a touch anyway. I dunno about the ignition pickups, so I'm not sure if they're different.
                          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

loom=wiring, ive put a slabby gsxr 750 engine in my ratkat and swapped the pickup over so i could keep all the kat600 electrics
                            the future's dark, the future's matt black

Comment

Originally posted by KRAZYKAT View Post
                              this all seems like a lot of work. especially for someone who never has worked on bikes really. how many hours do you guys think it would take for someone who knew what they were doing , to do an engine swap?
                              and as for you guys who have done this mod(bigger motor)how much did it cost you when you were all done?
                              and how long did it take?
                              did you do most of the work yourself?
                              Yes ive done it many times & always do all the work myself, the cost is the price of the parts you need

If theres no major hassles with siezed bolts etc i could do the engine swap in a day on my own, add another day or so to sort out the bits mentioned above with plenty of coffee/smoke breaks ... call it a weekend

loudnlow .... no probs with the tps just leave it unplugged, but valve bounce on a b12 engine makes a mess so its safer to use the right cdi
                              Last edited by tone; 08-18-2008, 04:09 PM.
                              Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

Working...
                              X