Help please!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please!

2006 Katana 600

Stored my bike over the winter in a heated garage with seafoam in the little gas that was in it. Started it the other day and it ran like hell (probably from the bad gas is my guess) Decided to check the plugs (they looked like hell so I cleaned them) Decided to check the carbs out (all I did was take the top off of the #1 carb and remove the balck rubber thingy that was in it) then changed my mind cuz I didnt want to mess anything up cuz im no mechanic so I put everything back together as it should be and now the bike wont start at all...it hardly even fires when it turns over.

Im guessing with some fresh gas and some new plugs this will be fixed, but like I said...I'm no mechanic...I can change oil and tires and take stuff apart and thats about it.

So, please someone tell me what they think.

-Kyle

Start simple....... new battery.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

It has a brand new battery. And it has no problems turning over at all.

Comment

i actually dealt with this today.. and it ended up being a bad battery.

I tried 2 older batteries with similar results

-turned it over ok..but you could tell it was hurting
        - engine would fire and run..but not rev and then die out
        -headlights were not lit up(Hi-beam light on dash lit up)

these are signs that there is not enough juice in your system

i replaced the junk batteries with a fresh 40 dollar battery, and every one of the problems above went away.

Comment

op has new battery. I lean the way of birty carbs. Fresh gas and seafoam may take care of it. Otherwise it's off to carbs 102 in the wiki.
          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Originally posted by KingKopro View Post
            It has a brand new battery. And it has no problems turning over at all.
            HAD a new battery. If it wasn't tendered during the cold months...it's shot.
            sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
            ------------------------------------------
            89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
            96 YZF 1000R

Comment

If it turns over good, doesn't sound like the battery.

OP, Are you sure you didn't tear the gasket/diaphragm when you took the top off the carb? Are you sure you put it back together correctly? The carbs may need to be cleaned. During long term storage the gas will varnish and plug up the small passageways inside. If you can get it to run, seafoam will clean them up. If you have to remove them, get some help from a qualified mechanic or study up. If you don't know how to set up/sync them, you'll never get it to run right.

Comment

Don't forget about the little O-ring under that diaphragm ~

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Also make sure you reconnected the vaccum line to the rear of the petcock, otherwise you are losing vaccum, and getting no fuel unless you have the petcock set on prime.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X