Which one should i get?

are any better then others?

If you can afford it, I'd say go with the Shorai
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I'm going to try one of the lithium ones when I get around to it.
      sigpic

Comment

The one that says Yuasa on it.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

If you want to see a battery comparison with some insane killer tests check out this link
          http://boulevardowners.com/cafe/inde...topicID=157926
          They really run these batteries though a gauntlet of some over the top tests. The eventual winner is a Motobatt. I picked one up for my 750 Kat and it is rock solid. Last season, bike was in storage for 3 months without a charging, choke cable was siezed and I had to start it without choke. Battery delivered the almost 20 cranks it took to finally get it started.

Comment

Without reading that entire thread, it seems a little odd....

They are basically comparing bargain batteries, and without including the Yuasas I don't see the purpose.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
              Without reading that entire thread, it seems a little odd....

They are basically comparing bargain batteries, and without including the Yuasas I don't see the purpose.

$181 with a 2 yr warranty isn't exactly discount by any means but for less than that I can get a lead acid 2yr so I think I'm changing my mind about lithium even though it is a third the weight of lead
              sigpic

Comment

Care to provide some context to that comment? Are you referring to my previous statement re: the Shorai battery?

The OEM Yuasa is something like $120 for the sealed unit. for not many dollars more I upgraded to the high capacity Shorai. We have some vendors here who carry Shorais at a good price.

My biggest interest in the Shorai, is that they hold enough to start the bike even after extended periods without being run or tendered. The Shorai in my Sprint has been sitting since 10/11 and still shows 13.18 V. A lead acid battery would likely not have enough power to start the bike right now. I'm doing my own long range test right now to see how long it can go, and still start the bike even with the vampire charge from the clock being pulled.
                -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I'm doing my own long range test right now to see how long it can go, and still start the bike even with the vampire charge from the clock being pulled.
                  Can I recommend against that? Once the voltage drops below a certain figure, the battery will be permanently damaged. I've talked to a few people who have killed their batteries with five presses of the starter button without enough running in between. So you checked the voltage, did you try to start the bike? Lithium chemistry batteries will tend to show a fairly high voltage when they are not loaded, but when you put a starter load on them, they will drop flat.
                  Pics
                  Pics
                  No pics yet
                  Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

I've been checking voltage on the battery semi-weekly. The guy who sold it to me, and Shorai are along for the ride.
                    -Steve

sigpic

Comment

do you guys really pay $120 for a battery? how long do these expensive batteries last?
                      i bought a cheapo walmart battery for about $30 and got 2+ seasons out of it. i will be buying a new battery next season and wonder if it's worth it to buy a "better" battery or just spend 30$ every couple of years for the cheapo.

Comment

I just picked up an Everstart for $49... I was thinking about getting the lithium but its triple the price and the extra weight doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by zcphoto View Post
                          do you guys really pay $120 for a battery? how long do these expensive batteries last?
                          i bought a cheapo walmart battery for about $30 and got 2+ seasons out of it. i will be buying a new battery next season and wonder if it's worth it to buy a "better" battery or just spend 30$ every couple of years for the cheapo.
                          Originally posted by kazahara View Post
                          I just picked up an Everstart for $49... I was thinking about getting the lithium but its triple the price and the extra weight doesn't matter to me.
                          The post uses a sealed battery, the sealed units are more expensive than the unsealed std lead acid batteries.

My 01 bandit had the OEM Yuasa in it for close to 8 years with tendering every winter.

Originally posted by thetable View Post
                          Can I recommend against that? Once the voltage drops below a certain figure, the battery will be permanently damaged. I've talked to a few people who have killed their batteries with five presses of the starter button without enough running in between. So you checked the voltage, did you try to start the bike? Lithium chemistry batteries will tend to show a fairly high voltage when they are not loaded, but when you put a starter load on them, they will drop flat.
                          Btw, in case you are interested scroll down about half way on this page:

Shorai claims that the batteries can still start the application with 30% charge remaining
                          Last edited by steves; 12-08-2011, 10:49 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                          -Steve

sigpic

Comment

The MotoBatt MBTX9U is a premium sealed lead acid AGM power sport battery that uprades and replaces Yuasa YTX9-BS, YTZ12S and others.

$68 plus free shipping and a 2 year warranty...

Comment

Btw, in case you are interested scroll down about half way on this page:

Shorai claims that the batteries can still start the application with 30% charge remaining
                              At what voltage is 30% charge? The voltage discharge curves of Lithium batteries is super flat until usually around 80% discharge, and the less current draw, the flatter and longer the curve is.

I guess I'm just saying you won't find me running one on anything that doesn't have a kickstart backup. When I press the magic button, I'm depending on my bike to start because there is no telling on how far I am from cellular service, much less a jump start. If my bike has to carry around an extra 5+ pounds, well, I can loose that from my waist and barely notice.
                              Pics
                              Pics
                              No pics yet
                              Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Working...
                              X