Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New cyclist - VERY new (and pretty pathetic :-P) - Hoping to find some friends here..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New cyclist - VERY new (and pretty pathetic :-P) - Hoping to find some friends here..

Hey,

Name is Greg - I'm currently going to RIT (Rochester Institute of Tech) for Software Engineering, so I'm obviously in Rochester, NY - bought my first bike about 2 weeks ago.

Got some pictures at the following of what happened yesterday.

So I'm brand new, a fresh newb, never rode out on the real road (public) yet. A lot of people say that I should not get a bike because I didn't grow up on dirt bikes like everybody else that rides seems to have. Without offending anybody, I'd just like to say "f-u" - Both my parents were/are in the medical field and there was no way they were going to OK a bike for me. Now I've grown up (a bit, I'm 22), I'm in college, and I bought a bike I've wanted since 11th grade.

I chose a Katana 750 because I'm a VERY large guy (about 275), I wanted something that wouldn't have trouble hauling me. Also, the Katana isn't as much as a crotch rocket as say, a YZF-600, GSXR750, any liter bike, etc. The Katana to me, seems more like a crossover between a dual sport and a crotch rocket. I argue with some people about this, whatever, some people say if it has plastics it's a crotch rocket - I disagree (can you say, BMW?). I'd hope to eventually graduate to a level where I can daily a busa - but I'm not going to put the cart before the horse on that one.. Also, at some point, I'd love to drive a boss hoss cycle, as their concept of what a cycle is fascinates me, and it's about the only domestic concept that does.

That being said, as I iterated, I'm fresh and new, still learning. I really don't have anybody to show me the ropes, realistically. I have a friend at work (and few other people at work) that ride, they have stuff like a 250ninja, a virago (forgot the size), a BMW-esqe dual sport, and a CBR (forgot size as well), but being a professional environment, everybody's chill about what other people have (opposed to some experiences at the Harley stores where some ego comes into affect..).

So I really don't have any idea how to ride, I'm still trying to decide what gear to get (pretty sure I'm crossed between the HJC CL-SP and the HJC CS-R1 (no snell :'( )for a helmet, and I'm seriously considering the Cortech FSX Series 2 for a jacket..of course being limited to black (3x in size) kind of makes me sad as red would go better with a red cycle, but whatever.), I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow (don't bother asking, it's a story not worth telling) after which (hopefully) I can go back to the DMV and get my permit (got a 95% on it....not that that means anything, but whatever)...then it's insurance and registration, hope to be bringing it to work in a few weeks..

I've taken the bike out a few times on some private roads on campus, I have a little bit of trouble starting off, most of the time I just let the clutch out (pathetic, I know) as it gives me the smoothest starts, then give it gas once it's not engaged at all...it revs incredibly fast compared to cars which I'm very used to - I typically short shift 1st as I'm kinda scared of the power it has, haven't gone WOT yet but hit it pretty hard in 2nd and 3rd, but only put it up to about 50mph as I don't have any gear yet and I'm still fresh & new. It also feels like you're going a lot faster - maybe it's just the wind in yourself - I have no helmet yet, so not a full faceyet.. Mind you ALL of my controls/riding experience comes from youtube and google (yes, pathetic, I know, so sue me)..manual isn't really a new concept to me as that's all I've ever owned for the past (6?) cars, and I unofficially race them quite a bit (well not atm as my current car ('97 civic EX) is very much on the stock side), so that's no issue, but the coordination is obviously a bit different. I haven't had much trouble with the controls as far as shifting goes...I keep forgetting to turn my turn signal off (car artifact I guess), and sometimes I accidentally rev it when backing up or something ().

I know mechanical stuff pretty well - I know import cars well - I know most of my Honda's mechanical attributes inside and out. I also, due to my profession, obviously have a very good understanding of computers and programming. I can probably help people in those 2 areas if they ever need it, but I doubt that.

So yes, I seem quite pathetic, no exp and such, but it is what it is, I have to start somewhere I guess. Which leads me to the sad part:
    I'm kind of practicing for my road test..I don't think I'll have a problem with the driving part, but I'm scared ****less of the double O each direction and figure 8 I have to do afterwards. I simply can't get my act together, I can't pull U turns in the parking lots here. They're a big smaller than 2 lanes...so blah...which leads me to the really sad part:
    So Saturday was a big tech event at RIT (people come from all over the US), so there was no chance of campus safety coming to my side of campus, so I took the bike out, now I tried doing a complete circle in the parking lot, I did the following:
    - Got it up to 1st, short shifted into 2nd, probably about 15-20mph
    - slowed down, downshifted into 1st, slowed down quite a bit, leaned towards the right side of the cars
    - turned the forks all the way to the left to pull the U turn (half of a circle), it was starting to buck a bit (revs too low), but I kind of ignored it as I wasn't about to give it throttle..I can't rly go any faster with that much of a turn.
    - I was coming up pretty close to a saab 900 on the opposite side, so I braked..
    - As weird as it is, I couldn't snag the clutch in time, it jerked back when it stalled out and as the forks were turned to the left, me and it went over.
    - Tipped over on its left side, scuffed the fatest part o the plastics where the clutch housing is, and took of my left mirror :'( - needless to say I was basically moping around for the rest of the day.
    - I didn't have any issues getting it back on 2 wheels given my size (football all through highschool, it was a lot easier to get back up than I expected), let it sit for a few to let the fuel settle back into the carbs, it had a bit of trouble starting back up, stalled out once or twice, but finally got it going and let it sit for a few minutes.

So yeah, tipped the bike over, and ruined my weekend . I'm still not sure where the hell I could have adjusted what I did...the bike simply can't make the turn sharp enough, the forks are all the way turned, and it going so slow considering its standard idle speed (about 1200 RPM seems to be happy at idle), it's fumbly b/c of the speed, and it doesn't want to turn due to the turning radius at rack...Obviously I could have prevented the fall if I clutched and/or got my foot off the peg and down in time.

Here's some pix of the damage:

There was already a scuff there, but I just did a really good job of making it worse. There's also a scuff on the right side, same part, the fat part of the plastics, from the original owner doing a standing tip over..

Here's the rest of the pictures, I'd greatly appreciate it if you looked at them, I tried to pull the best (about half, IMO) out of the collection I had my g/f take, but I'm sure to many of you it's "just another Katana" - so I'm not going to waste all of your bandwidth posting the pictures here in the thread, there's about 29 of them.

PICTURES
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

I know some people don't think it's sexy, but I think the bike is absolutely beautiful, and while I can't replace the plastics ($$) atm I still love it. Sometimes I can't believe it's mine, lol.

A bit about the bike
    - Bought it from the original owner - he bought it from the dealership, he gave me the lien release - title has 000003 miles on it !!
    - It has 3k miles on it - although it was ridden every year
    - It's a '97 Katana 750
    - I has an aftermarket I/E kit (air box, vance and hines exhaust, and matched carb jets), installed by a bike shop
    - To me it's amazing .

I also obviously need to find a replacement for the mirror, I was hoping I could find a swap for both sides, ones that FOLD - it stretches the hell out of my cover because the mirrors don't fold . It fit a lot better (hate to say it) with that one mirror broke off, it'd do wonders if both mirrors folded in...Anybody have any suggestions there? Also, can I replace just that top part for now? It looks like there's a nut on top there which just comes off and I might be able to re-attach the shroud - the glass is 100%, just the shroud broke...is it possible to get just the shroud and put it on? That'd be ideal, also, depending on price, folding mirrors would also be ideal (how hard are they to take off? Looks like just a few screws into the plastics..).

ANY driving tips are obviously very much appreciated, as I stated earlier, I don't really have anybody to show me the ropes, but I'm like a sponge when it comes to soaking up information (you need to be in my profession to adapt to different application domains), so I gather it pretty damn fast. And loving cars so much, I obviously soak up lots about them. Currently working on some tuning software for ECU tuning as good parts companies seem to lack good software...but that's a whole different ball game. So I pretty much appreciate pretty much input, even if you're just coming to tell me I suck at life (not that I don't feel like that already for tipping it).

Also, I have a weird issue with curves...I'm not really sure how to turn at faster speeds, if it's a counter steer or a lean...The place I typically drive the bike to has a long *** sweeping curve and I can never tell from the intersection (the beginning of it) how the hell I make the turn, as it's decently steep, it's just natural...which isn't good IMO, I have to figure out what I'm doing so I can learn to better sway the weight of the bike...but if I think about it while off the bike (same with making turns at intersections while moving (lower speeds)) it scares me a bit..

Thanks for reading, I hope to make some good friends here. I've wanted a bike for so long, this is my first, I don't intend on it being my last.
    Last edited by Syndacate; 05-02-2010, 10:21 PM.
    '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
    '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
    '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
    '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
    '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

You should have a motorcycle safety course near by, try searching for one and definitely go, you'll learn alot. Other than that, congrats on the bike, sorry to hear about the tip over (but it comes with the learning), and you'll catch on as you ride more.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

A few things...

1. Damn nice looking kat...

2. You will want to swap out those tires asap... especially that chen front tire. They suck. Good tires = top priority.

3. Look for information about the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses in your area. Sign up, and do it asap.

4. Motorcycles have alot of similarities as a bycicle basics... turns, leans, etc... if you have riden one before, don't over think the motorcycle.

5. Find a big parking lot, practice the starts and stops. Get those smooth, practice with the clutch zone, and things will get alot easier.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

ok first of all welcome and put your bike AWAY until you take a MSF course. You are insane for taking a bike out with no experience and no gear, or at the very least a helmet! When your turning slow never look down, where you look you will go and im sure you looked straight down and went down. You will learn all this and much more at any MSF weekend course. The Kat is a good first bike if you have some self control. Very stable and more on the heavy side. I have a 2001 kat 600 that i got in NOv 2009 and havent had any problems yet with over 6000 miles on it, bike week and all. I never grew up on dirtbikes or any bike for that matter.

But when i did get my bike i DID NOT ride it until i had full gear and had taken the MSF course and had my endorsement. ( Well i take that back, i went around my neighborhood a few times but still had a helmet and my friend coaching me who has been riding for years)

You dont want to learn by damaging your bike or yourself by trial and error. I know how hard it is to have a bike and want to ride but you must do it right or you will be sorry.

If you do continue to ride like this please get a organ donor on your license at least.

Good luck!
        sigpic
        If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Its sad to know that you dropped the bike.. Atleast for the starters, I would suggest you to get accustomed to the nuances of your motorcycle slowly.. A MSF training is definitely recommended even if you consider yourself as an experienced rider..
          Try to practice their basic techniques in an open parking lot such as feeling the weight of the bike, knowing the gear release technique... slow riding with your feet on the ground etc..
          I do have some trouble turning my katana 600 in the parking lot., however I am getting used to the bike and feel comfortable now.. I had a V Star 650 which was probably around the same weight but was low..

regarding the damage on the plastic.. the best fix without spending much of money would be to put some sticker that looks cool..
          however it might make things worse and make it stand out.. The center of gravity on a sports bike is much different., and in case of Katana's because of their handle bar design, the turns should be made by leaning your weight to hand which is on your turn side..
          Its all in the game of learning something new.
          So I would say., just accept your bike and your current riding technique and slowly learn to tame it your way.. No two bikers technique are the same.. What works for one may or may not work for you..
          Try not to show off on the bike for now.. dont try racing through a blind corner..
          Again these are things I learnt during my 10 years into Riding motorcycles..

Good luck!
          Regards
          sigpic
          2005 Katana 600

Comment

Welcome to KR! ATGATT!!! and listen to the previous post's... we like to keep each other safe and educated around here. Glad you found us!
            "If a cluttered desk is sign of a cluttered mind....what then, of an empty desk?"

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref...14&ref=profile

sigpic

Comment

Hey welcome to KR, and yes, please please please take a basic rider course with your local department of transportation. I have been riding for barely three years and NEVER rode any kind of motorcycle before. They literally taught me how to ride from the ground up at that course. Oh, and about dropping you kat, sucks but almost everyone drops their first bike. I dropped my first bike three times in the first year, and that was after taking basic rider course. So, yeah, take the course.
              sigpic

Signature was getting too long, check my garage for list of mods.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzukirider09 View Post
                You should have a motorcycle safety course near by, try searching for one and definitely go, you'll learn alot. Other than that, congrats on the bike, sorry to hear about the tip over (but it comes with the learning), and you'll catch on as you ride more.
                Yeah, thanks. I'm quite busy at the moment, I don't have time to think worth of crap. I work a lot. When I find a motorcycle safety course I will take it, though, a lot of people have told me to take that.

Originally posted by Kreylyn
                Welcome to KR!

A few things...

1. Damn nice looking kat...

2. You will want to swap out those tires asap... especially that chen front tire. They suck. Good tires = top priority.

3. Look for information about the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation) courses in your area. Sign up, and do it asap.

4. Motorcycles have alot of similarities as a bycicle basics... turns, leans, etc... if you have riden one before, don't over think the motorcycle.

5. Find a big parking lot, practice the starts and stops. Get those smooth, practice with the clutch zone, and things will get alot easier.

Krey
                1. Thanks!! I love it .
                2. What do you mean about the tires? I was going to swap them at the end of the first riding season, they are original but it was driven every year. Chen?
                3. I intend to once I get my license.
                4. I haven't ridden a bicycle since I broke into a private community while I was still in highschool (car couldn't get passed the gates). That was 11th grade IIRC..
                5. Clutch zone? You mean the grab/engagement point? Yeah, I intend to go to bigger academic parking lots in the evenings once I get my permit and register/insure the bike, so campus safety doesn't get ****y. Right now, now plates, no equip, kinda not the best for not getting noticed..

Originally posted by beachflyer
                ok first of all welcome and put your bike AWAY until you take a MSF course. You are insane for taking a bike out with no experience and no gear, or at the very least a helmet! When your turning slow never look down, where you look you will go and im sure you looked straight down and went down. You will learn all this and much more at any MSF weekend course. The Kat is a good first bike if you have some self control. Very stable and more on the heavy side. I have a 2001 kat 600 that i got in NOv 2009 and havent had any problems yet with over 6000 miles on it, bike week and all. I never grew up on dirtbikes or any bike for that matter.

But when i did get my bike i DID NOT ride it until i had full gear and had taken the MSF course and had my endorsement. ( Well i take that back, i went around my neighborhood a few times but still had a helmet and my friend coaching me who has been riding for years)

You dont want to learn by damaging your bike or yourself by trial and error. I know how hard it is to have a bike and want to ride but you must do it right or you will be sorry.

If you do continue to ride like this please get a organ donor on your license at least.

Good luck
                I don't have anywhere to put it away. I have no garage or anything . It sucks, I know, but I gotta make do with it.. Yeah, I'm aware taking it out a few times up to 50 or so without any gear was pretty stupid, but the temptation took me over . I'm trying real hard to ignore it until I get insurance/registration/registration on campus/permit/helmet/jacket, it's hard, though, permit is taking forever b/c of some legal crap .

I know about looking where you wanna go, maybe that's what kept me up on that sweeping curve. As for falling, that def. wasn't - I remember looking at the mirror the whole way down, until I saw it snap off, lol. Eyes went from clutch that I missed, to mirror, to "oof, that hurt". I wasn't moving at all when it happened (yeah, sad, I know ).

I do know I will take the MSF when I get a chance. Yeah, the kat seems like a good first bike, that was one of the reasons why I chose to look for it. I'm glad to know somebody else rides that didn't "grow up on bikes" - I'm sick of hearing that **** - I simply didn't get that lucky so whatever.

You have a lot more self control than I do, which is probably a good thing. I plan to try to keep things completely on the down-low (parked)...I'm gonna decide on a helmet very soon. Seriously considering HJC CL-SP. As for a coach, don't really have one outside of a friend or two at work, but I can't do much until I get my license, my friend is VERY busy during the week.

Yeah, I'm aware I don't want to learn by trial and error, and when I get free time and see a motorcycle safety course I plan on taking it. As for the organ donor part of my license, yeah, I've been meaning to fill that out regardless, but I keep forgetting. Not just because of a motorcycle, but if I could save a life or two when I die, nothing would be a more honorable way to go out.

Thanks .
                '97 Civic EX - Secondary car
                '97 GSX 750F (Katana) - sold
                '04 Yamaha R1 - sold
                '82 CM450 - Carb problems :'(
                '05 SRT4 - Daily/AutoX monster

Comment

hello and welcome....sounds like everyone has already given you the much needed info you were looking for....be safe
                  It's not considered cheating if it's a motorcycle, right???

2006 Katana 750

Comment

the way i look at it, if you have a bike and not all the gear to go with it, then you shouldnt have bought the bike. A NFL player wouldnt go to a game with just a tee-shirt and flipflops and no gear, neither should a smart rider. Ive always wanted a motorcycle but im glad i waited until i was 29 to finally get one. if i would have gotten one when i was 20 when i really really wanted one i think it would have ended really badly since my decision making skills were very poor.

remember
                    1.never ever ride outside your personal limits.

2. Always wear full gear no matter how hot or short the ride is

3. Never try to show off because this is the time you will do something stupid

4. Never ride right after it starts raining, the roads are like ice from the oil

5. Never ride behind junky cars.-had a muffler fly off one and almost kill me.

6. Don't be afraid of the front brake- 70% stopping power here, just do not use when leaned over in a curve

7. Learn how to master counter steering- sometimes much better than braking in an emergency.

8. Always assume you are invisible to cagers

9. have fun!
                    - with great risk comes great reward!
                    Last edited by beachflyer; 05-03-2010, 12:27 AM.
                    sigpic
                    If everyone rode motorcycles there wouldn't be so many idiot drivers

Comment

Originally posted by Syndacate View Post
                      2. What do you mean about the tires? I was going to swap them at the end of the first riding season, they are original but it was driven every year. Chen?

5. Clutch zone? You mean the grab/engagement point? Yeah, I intend to go to bigger academic parking lots in the evenings once I get my permit and register/insure the bike, so campus safety doesn't get ****y. Right now, now plates, no equip, kinda not the best for not getting noticed..

First glance it looked like the front was one of the Cheng Shin tires. Made in Taiwan, and if you spent the next year looking for a cheaper, crappier tire... you would be very hard pressed to find one. Upon closer inspection, looks like you have the Metzler Lasertechs...

Clutch zone would be refering to the point between fully released, and fully engaged with the clutch. Learning to use that comfortably helps alot, especially with low speeds and smooth starts/stops.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by beachflyer View Post
                        the way i look at it, if you have a bike and not all the gear to go with it, then you shouldnt have bought the bike. A NFL player wouldnt go to a game with just a tee-shirt and flipflops and no gear, neither should a smart rider. Ive always wanted a motorcycle but im glad i waited until i was 29 to finally get one. if i would have gotten one when i was 20 when i really really wanted one i think it would have ended really badly since my decision making skills were very poor.

remember
                        1.never ever ride outside your personal limits.

2. Always wear full gear no matter how hot or short the ride is

3. Never try to show off because this is the time you will do something stupid

4. Never ride right after it starts raining, the roads are like ice from the oil

5. Never ride behind junky cars.-had a muffler fly off one and almost kill me.

6. Don't be afraid of the front brake- 70% stopping power here, just do not use when leaned over in a curve

7. Learn how to master counter steering- sometimes much better than braking in an emergency.

8. Always assume you are invisible to cagers

9. have fun! - with great risk comes great reward!

Whether or not someone grew up riding dirt bikes has absolutely no significance in learning how to ride. There are folks who grew up riding on dirt but are horrible and seriously unsafe street riders. Any honest biker would tell you that the minute you jump on the bike the first & foremost thing that's running through your mind is "be safe!" Taking some kind of formal bike training like MSF can be a life saver when riding. Trying to learn on your own will cause you develop serious bad habits and may actually shorten your riding career in a very bad way...trust me on this!

Comment

Hey Greg, Big SoCal welcome!

I gotta concur with the rest of the folks with all that they've said but here's a few things I'd like to point out or reinforce:

If MSF works the same way out there as it does here I don't believe you have to have your full license to enroll. You just need a DMV permit which usually is given after passing the written test. No roadwork needed.

Repeat after me: "All Hail the Parking Lot. The Parking Lot is my Friend". It is better to wear out welcome in an empty parking lot mastering low-speed maneuvers than any public street no matter how desolate.

Weight, balance, and head position are just as important to low speed turning as speed and clutch control - maybe more so. Learn to move your body, sliding your butt off the seat. Think about when you were a kid and walking along a brick wall. If you started to lose your balance on one side you instinctively stuck your foot/leg the other direction to correct your balance. Same with a slow turn. Learn to counterbalance the weight on a slow turn the same way by sliding your weight to the opposite side of the turn. May feel weird at first because it's exactly opposite of what to do when riding at speed, but it works.

Look up and look where you want to go, not looking at where you are. You will go where your eyes tell you. That means not looking down at the bars or gauges when you're maneuvering. That means trusting your bike and inputs - muscle memory and bike awareness. And THAT comes from time in the saddle. It will take a while for those riding inputs to become instinctual. Give it some time and don't rush it. Let it come naturally with riding time. Right now you're thinking about everything - shifting, clutching, riding position, braking, turning, etc. Information overload. Makes riding seem, frustrating. It's normal. Like telling a guy who knows how to connect his BestBuy PC to the home WiFi network to now network 50 remote workstations to a secure VPN. In principle it's the same but in application, uh... NOT.

This is something that I STILL do:
                          Every once in a while I get up on Sunday morning and ride to my nearest DMV and do about 30 minutes on the test course. Good practice (Until the cops kick me off. Liability issues. ) I got a big bike so it doesn't hurt to practice no matter how much experience I have.

The only real advantage of knowing how to ride a dirt bike before riding a street bike is understanding the mechanical fundamentals of shifting and throttle. Other than that, they're two different riding styles. I've never ridden a dirt bike (though wanted one as a kid) and I've been riding since '85.

Nice to hear that you understand that a Busa is a bike that's a future aspiration. The Bus will still be around when you're ready. No need to bite off way more than you can chew.

Take it easy and learn at your own pace. You'll be fine.
                          sigpic

Comment

You could also take the plastic's off for two reasons (1) Learn to ride without more damage. (2) Give you a chance to fix the damage already done. Welcome to KR ride safe. Nice looking bike

Comment

welcome to KR...practice makes perfect!!!!
                              -100% JEDI-

Comment

Working...
                              X