X

That @#&*&^ Sticky stuff!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That @#&*&^ Sticky stuff!!!

I bought my kat last year and have been putting up with the PO's lack of maintainence on the bike since it has been simple stuff to resolve...but now I am on one of the things that just bugs me. Apparently there was a sticker on top of the tail section behind the seat. The sticker is gone but there is this blob of the sticky stuff still there. Now usually, on painted metal I would just get a rag soaked with brake cleaner, take off the sticky crap and then wax and polish the spot. But this is on plastic and brake cleaner will destroy the paint and look like crap. Any suggestions on what to use that will leave the paint so I can just wax and polish it back to it's original look?

Comment

Molded rubber with 5/16" - 24 thread arbor

Threaded arbor? What tool is this to attach to? Or do I just use it like a rubbing pad?

Comment

Try any "orange oil" infused cleaner. Any generic orange hand cleaner will do. Be careful with the orange scented hand cleaner with the pumice, works great, just be mindful of scratching. You can also just use a little orange oil on a cotton ball and it will take it right off.
        mindfungus
        sigpic
        1992 Katana 1100F
        "many an evil butt await my boot print!"

Comment

you put it on a drill. There is a mandrel you can buy for it, but I don't have the link. You can just tighten the chuck on the threaded part.
          Originally posted by billybob View Post
          Molded rubber with 5/16" - 24 thread arbor

Threaded arbor? What tool is this to attach to? Or do I just use it like a rubbing pad?

Comment

Cool! Thanks! I will give it a shot this weekend.

Comment

Contact Jimmy ( HS2020 ) and order a can of Citrol. That it the BEST stuff for removing adhesive residue and will not harm the paint at all.
              2006 GSXR 600 Gone to Gixxer heaven
              BMC Notorious 918 HT
              2007 GSXR 750

KATRIDERS SOCAL GROUP RIDE 2009

Comment

it all depends on how old the adhesive is. Try ANY cleaner on pre 98 decals adhesive it ain't gonna do anything. That magic eraser WORKS. I have 3 of them.

Comment

The Citrol took the adhesive of of my 2000 like it was nothing. I started out using everything I could think of, and then started the rubber wheel, but when my bud brought over that Citrol, I wos done in just a few minutes.
                  BMC Notorious 918 HT
                  2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                    Contact Jimmy ( HS2020 ) and order a can of Citrol. That it the BEST stuff for removing adhesive residue and will not harm the paint at all.
                    I have to agree with Chris on this one. I tried every product under the sun, everything BUT brake cleaner, and nothing would take it off. Rubber wheel worked first try. I bet I spent north of $50 before I posted here with the problem... wheel worked first try.

OP... do a search with my username and "Sticker Residue"

Originally posted by CenCalKat View Post
                    my 2000
                    Think older!
                    Last edited by GytRDunKat; 02-26-2009, 05:00 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Just trying to give some other options....
                      BMC Notorious 918 HT
                      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I understand that, I'm not saying it won't work. On 98+ decal adhesive it does. On old stuff it does not.

Comment

We had a thread about this before and someone suggested cutting a tennis ball in half and turning it inside out and then using the rubber on the inside to scrub the goo off.I thought they were crazy but decided to give it a try and it works great. The rubber won't take the paint off and will remove the adhesive from the old sticker

Comment

What about goo-gone? Thats stuff works pretty good, let it soak for a lil then you can usually scrape it off with a old credit card...

Comment

not for old adhesive, not gonna work.

Comment

Working...
                              X