X

Forks and a Rim

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forks and a Rim

what will fit and what wont fit an 03 katana? would forks from a 96 kat work on an 03? would the rim? looking for info.
    Save the homeless, take me home with you!

Depends on whether you are replacing the triple-trees at the same time. Generally, 98 - 05 Kats share the identical forks, triple trees and rim. I think the SV650 also shares the same forks and rim (but not triple trees). Easiest way to tell is to go to www.ronayers.com and look through the fiche files for the part numbers for your set-up, then look at what other bikes use the exact same part number.

If you crashed the front end to the point you need new forks & rim, you'll also need the following:
    (A) Steering stem bearings
    (B) Likely the steering stem itself
    (C) Check the frame for stress fractures, subsurface cracks (look for a product called magnaflux, which lets you see problems under the powdercoat without stripping it).
    (D) Rotors, possibly calipers, front brake lines.

Be really careful on the integrity of the frame and steering assembly -- hidden problems with that could cost you (literally) your life if they fail going over a small bump or pothole.

KNOW THIS:
    There are companies out there who build aftermarket fork tubes and parts that are quite cheap compared to dealer prices. A new fork inner tube usually runs $50 - $90. I buy these parts through one of my local shops, so I don't know which firm it is that produces them, but searching should net you the info.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

yes crashed it but i just got everything tooken apart i need forks, rim, the whole sterring assemble, frame a a minor mark but going to get it looked by a pro. where can i price this stuff out? in canada also.

Comment

Originally posted by MossMan4
        yes crashed it but i just got everything tooken apart i need forks, rim, the whole sterring assemble, frame a a minor mark but going to get it looked by a pro. where can i price this stuff out? in canada also.
        Send a PM to SpecialK, and start looking on eBay. Dealer prices on this stuff is horrendous, and many junk yards are just as pricey.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Sad to say, I'm in the midst of 4 rebuilds here and they each need a set of forks! I'm looking high and low.................and the early forks will NOT work UNLESS you switch over the front brake calipers, which I just may do. Stick with the 98+ trees set-up, and the 98+ rims and rotors.........
          I've owned over 70 Katanas - you think I know anything about them?
          Is there such a thing as TOO MANY BIKES?
          Can you go TOO FAST on a bike?
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

i know for 03 they switch the axle pin, from a nut to an axle that ties into the fork. can i take a frok from a pre 98 and use the bottom end from my forks????

Comment

Working...
            X