X

Butterfly Position in Carb

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Butterfly Position in Carb

Hey guys! Realized after disassembling, cleaning, reassembling and mounting my carbs that I didn't check the where the butterfly position was. Became clear when the bike wouldn't even fire up - DOH! Took the carbs back off the bike, figured a good time to do a second cleaning and soaking in SeaFoam.

The picture in the service manual (page 4-10) is pretty hard to distinguish so I thought I'd snap a picture and see if I got it right.

Butterfly.jpg

Any comments would be gratefully appreciated!

Thanks!
    1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Look too far open to me

Comment

Thats what a sync is for. Turn the idle adjustment until the bike starts...
      Originally posted by arsenic
      93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

No it's not what synch is for.

That particular butterfly is too far outta whack.

The lip of the butterfly should be in the middle of the "center" hole.

Bench synch to get all 4 the same in the middle of that center hole...

Start by adjusting the idle screw until the #3 carb is lined up correctly, then balance the rest of the rack to match.

THEN put the carbs on the bike and synch with carb stick.
        -Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Thanks Steve, that's the detail I was hoping for!

Just to make sure I can't screw it up, is the circled hole the one you mean by "center"?

Butterfly 2.jpg
          1988 GSX1100F - moving under its own power! Final assembly, carb balancing, etc.

Getting closer!!!

Comment

Yes, align all the butterflies to that hole in each respective carb.
            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Perfect! I'll get them reassembled tomorrow and realigned.

Appreciate the help!

Getting closer!!!

Comment

Originally posted by steves View Post
                No it's not what synch is for.

That particular butterfly is too far outta whack.

The lip of the butterfly should be in the middle of the "center" hole.

Bench synch to get all 4 the same in the middle of that center hole...

Start by adjusting the idle screw until the #3 carb is lined up correctly, then balance the rest of the rack to match.

THEN put the carbs on the bike and synch with carb stick.
                Thats kinda what I meant (bench sync), you just explained in 10x better.
                Originally posted by arsenic
                93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

Mission Successful!

Thanks for all the great advice guys!

This morning, I visually set up #3 to the correct hole. The other three butterflies were already aligned pretty close, so left them alone.

Had the parts soaking the past 24 hours in SeaFoam, so just blew them out with a can of compressed air (used the same stuff that blows junk out of your keyboard - worked great!). Everything got reassembled, and mounted back onto the bike. Used Arsenic's suggestion to push the slides up when reinstalling the cap to keep the diaphragm from binding - good tip. Filled the bowls with my new test tank - formally a water bottle with brass hose barb screwed in. Open the choke just a hair, shot a quick blast of carb cleaner in each throat to give it a little boost, hit the starter - and BAM!!!

Went to idling pretty well right away, so laid off the choke. Blipped the throttle a couple of times to make sure nothing was binding, then shut it down with a huge smile on my face! My CarbTune is hopefully going to arrive before the long holiday weekend - that way I can get it purring right along and out on the road.

Getting close!! Thanks again for the help! What a great site!

Getting closer!!!

Comment

Pictures worth a thousand words

Comment

Working...
                      X