X

How To: Install Audiovox Cruise Control On 1998+ Katana - PIC HEAVY

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 items:

1. Got curious and checked Flea-Bay. Their prices for the fully electronic version are all over the place but all high. Amazon's price is cheaper than even the cheapest on Flea-Bay once you include shipping. May as well go for Amazon.

2. I did the install using the CCS-100 vacuum-driven version. Never had any trouble with vacuum at all. For my canister I used a 6" of 2" diameter PVC pipe and a couple of end caps. It fit great under the left side cover and there's been no trouble at all with leaks or insufficient vacuum.

3. The one problem I had with function was that the CC wouldn't set over about 70 mph. Solved that by building a longer bracket for mounting the cable on the carbs. Now the cable housing mounts all the way forward, by the valve cover and it works great up to about 85 (the fastest I've tried it).

I've enjoyed the CC enough that I'm going to transfer it to my 1100 before I sell the 750. Thanks for the write-up Squiggy! This has been fantastic.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

This is a project I"d like to take a stab at after I get my engine/bike put back together.
      2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
      2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
      1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
      1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
      1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        Never had any trouble with vacuum at all. For my canister I used a 6" of 2" diameter PVC pipe and a couple of end caps.
        The best canister I made is the large one, the 3"x6" PVC or ABS plumbing stuff. The smaller ones did not do well in holding speed which I suspect it was because of being to small a volume of vacuum. However, the size and mounting it has been the constant issue. But right now since the metal part to the cable broke I have not been using it anyways.

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        It fit great under the left side cover and there's been no trouble at all with leaks or insufficient vacuum.
        Do you have a picture of your canister mounted there?
        How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
        How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
        How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
        How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

I've got several photos. Check my photobucket album. The photos of the carb hookup are pretty awful but the rest of them aren't too bad. I built a bracket for the controls that used the clutch safety switch mount to hold the control pad above the left switch housing. That turned out pretty nice although I eventually painted the wires with liquid electrical tape. Like I mentioned before, the bracket I built to hold the cable housing at the carbs left too much slack so I had to build a longer one. I've got a photo of that around somewhere but I'm not sure where right now. I'll see about taking a photo of that before I take the CC off my 750 to transfer to the 1100.
          Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

OK I see now, you have a Pre. For the Post's Kats the place where you mounted the canister is already occupied by the rear shock reservoir. It's definitely a good spot for those that have it available.

Comment

Other spot I thought about mounting it was under the battery box. The reservoir I built will fit there on the pre and it looks like it's close enough to the swingarm pivot to avoid being hit. Don't know if that'd work on the post, though.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Your redneck bandsaw just made my day.....

Comment

I sold my 750 this winter and the CC went with it. Plan is to keep my eyes open for the non-vacuum driven version for my 1100.

I just now noticed the switch mod you did. That's sweet! With the windscreen control on the 1100 I was wondering where I'd be able to fit the CC switches. A bracket like I did for the 750 was going to put the CC switches out of easy reach and it'd look pretty silly sticking that far up. I bet I can fit a switch or two alongside the windscreen button, though!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

looks like images are no longer available

thanks for the info
                    Last edited by Zone07; 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I've checked my Flickr album and those pictures are gone. I know Flickr did some changes so I don't know if it happened then.

I'll check to see if I still have them on my computer and repost them.

Comment

Working...
                      X