X

Carb Slides issue

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Slides issue

Opened up the carbs on my Katana and found something interesting in the Carb slides:

Anybody ever seen anything like this? Kind of flakes off with the fingernail. Going to try some paint stripper or thinner, would there be any reason to paint these black? Or maybe a teflon coating? Maybe a dumb previous owner?
    GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Just normal build up. Carb cleaner should remove that.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Wow, never seen anything like that...number 4 slide is a champ!
      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
        Just normal build up. Carb cleaner should remove that.
        Thanks. Just curious, though, a build-up of what?

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_dog View Post
          Thanks. Just curious, though, a build-up of what?
          Varnish from the fuel. A little squirty squirty and rubby rubby will clean them right up...unless some toad painted them

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
            Varnish from the fuel. A little squirty squirty and rubby rubby will clean them right up...unless some toad painted them
            Never seen varnish that black... at work, will start cleaning tonight when I get home.

Comment

When you have varnish and micro particles from wear, you get a nasty black coating. So, it's not just varnish...

Paint would be more like a liquid goo when dissolved with a cleaner vs varnish and particles would be more paste like as you would still be able to feel the particles in it.

You can scrape some off, add a little carb cleaner... see how it reacts to know for sure.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

All clean and back together. A friend of mine found out what it was. Its a factory applied coating to prevent corrosion. He found where someone else had came across the same thing. Apparently the Zinc base metal that the carb body is made of will corrode with the slide base metal of Aluminium. Just add atmospheric moisture and a little time passage of no use and they will stick. These carbs had not been off of the bike since I owned it (never needed to until now) and in a previous life, it had spent alot of time outdoors next to an ocean in Florida. I'm sure there was enough moisture where it was to do this. Anyway, an interesting thing to see.
                Thanks.

Comment

Are you going to recoat them with something? I don't have any suggestions for you...but galvanic action could still be an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertTravis View Post
                    Are you going to recoat them with something? I don't have any suggestions for you...but galvanic action could still be an issue.
                    I was not planning on it, I have no idea what to use. I have other similar carbs and they have not been coated.

Comment

Gun bluing might work there. It's a chemical coating that is baked on, that can be done at home. I've researched zink recoating, it's not an easy task and could leave you missing a part. Prep requires a lot of work. A nylon/ plastic coating would be ideal but, who does it?
                      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                      spammer police
                      USAF veteran
                      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Working...
                      X