X

Help me decide my Katana's fate

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me decide my Katana's fate

I have completely had it with my poor project Katana. I've spent an incredible amount of time upgrading parts on it as well as making sure the important bits like tires and brakes are up to snuff. However, for all my tinkering and troubleshooting, I cannot figure out what the issue is with my motor.

You can read about my symptoms here:

I have no clue what the issues could be. While waiting for some new ignition coils, thinking mine were bad, I pulled my exhaust off, which snapped off three bolts inside the head. Shops gave estimates of $120+ for removal, so that's pretty much out of the question. A few more bucks will get me a complete motor!

I reinstall the head, re-using my old headgasket and there's air/fuel spraying out from cylinder #1, between the head and block. Out the front, back and side. I was informed metal headgaskets can be reused, but I don't think that was the case with my bike. Even if I do get a new HG, it's another $40 or so into the bike that I don't want to spend just to get back to square one with the problems outlined in my thread.

I can get a new motor and tranny for about $200, maybe $450 if pickings are slim, but then I'm still back to my problem described in the linked thead. It's probably electrical, but I could easily spend a week going through my bike's electrical system and might not find anything wrong with it.

So I'm torn. Spending $200+ on a new motor/tranny doesn't gaurentee I have a working bike. Money is also tight, so parting the bike out, with a lot of new parts with <500 miles on them, would help in the short-term, but I'll take a huge hit, money-wise, to do that.

So, fellow Katana riders, please tell me your opinions! I'm uncertain as to what to do and would appreciate input. Thanks.
    Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

Hmmm...
    If you have the disipline and time?
    You might part the bike out fully and
    make enough to buy a running pre 98 600..

The sum of the ebay parts is worth more that the
    total.. If you know what I mean..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
      Hmmm...
      If you have the disipline and time?
      You might part the bike out fully and
      make enough to buy a running pre 98 600..

The sum of the ebay parts is worth more that the
      total.. If you know what I mean..
      Couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't...
      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

As for the broken bolts...this edition of Super Street Bike tells how to remove them...pretty good article...as for the other problems they are fixable and you will have to invest time to troubleshoot the issues especially when it is an electrical problem...unless you pick up a new/used wiring harness but you still will need to install it and no gaurantee that it will work any better...also you said it in the beginning it's a "project" Katana. So since it is a project bike you will need to spend some time on it...
        I also have a 1989 kat...here is one thing that I encountered...have you checked the kickstand sensor...I had a similar problem and it was due to the spring on the sensor would come down a bit..the bike would hesitate the all of a sudden cut out on me...took it to the mechanic and after a month, he was really busy, he called me laughing and said it was the stupid sensor...changed the kickstand spring and no more problems...
        Good judgement comes from experience, and often experience comes from Bad Judgement :smt084
        Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to Register

nah nah nah nah nah nah JAX! (special thnx to sexwax)

Comment

Been doing more thinking about the stuff during my boring classes. I think the bike will be fine if I just mothball it until I graduate and get a job in the next month or so. I can then tackle the problems and hopefully figure it all out. I'll probably sell the Metzelers on the bike since they have about 500 miles on them, but aren't likely to see much more milage in the near future.

Thanks for the thoughts, guys.

Jax: Bike ran, but poorly, so the sensor is most likely just fine.
          Life is short and uncertain: eat your dessert first and ride every day.

Comment

Working...
          X