X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
    But the reason I snuck in here was to post a few updates on my Katana. Paint job is coming along well. I still have to sand and buff the clear coat but it came out pretty good.
    Paint looks great!

Comment

Thanks, Used a shop line silver base coat over 2K then 2 coats of 99 Lexus Alpine Silver blended ready to spray and Finish One clear and activator.

My painter neighbor had Silver base on hand, the final base coat was http://www.ebay.com/itm/16-32-or-128...711952&vxp=mtr

for 64 bucks by scratchwizard.

Clear was 129 a gallon.
      Last edited by branumhawk; 02-16-2015, 10:26 PM.

Comment

Looking very nice!
        GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

My painter neighbor had Silver base on hand
          Just curious if your neighbor takes on this kind of work? Only asking as I will have some Kat bodywork (havent seen it yet, its being shipped) that may require some repairs and painting in the future

Comment

Yes, he does. His body work is much better than mine too I did all prep and was planning on doing the paint job. I bought all the equipment a few years back and painted my truck and my wife's car with good success. He has been giving me some tips along the way and I think he thought he owed me a favor (finders fee) for turning him on to an old mustang.

When he offered to shoot it, I gladly took him up on it. He has a gun just for clear, another for base coat and several primer guns. Once the prep is done the painting is quick, its the little things that go wrong that spoil your paint job. And a pro has less of those.

When you are ready, I will gladly put you in touch with him if you are interested.

Comment

Great,
              Thanks

Comment

Looking for a set of original clip ons if anyone has a lead on a pair. Thanks.

Comment

Looking for a set of original clip ons if anyone has a lead on a pair. Thanks.
                  I've got an extra set. Let me dig them out. If I remember correctly, they have a fair bit of corrosion on them.

Comment

That would be great, let me know if you find them and I will get you some money. The clipons I had were from from the later front end on the bike when I got it. Larger diameter tubes and not stock by any means.

Comment

Sent you a PM with pics, not really pretty, but.......

Comment

I went through the turn signals today, nice to be getting into some the detail stuff. They were not bad, lenses and reflectors have a lot of stress cracks and will get some on the way. Rubber gromets went in ok and got it all mounted. Box of tear down bolts I bought a few years back is really paying off. Progress
                        Attached Files

Comment

I had some time today so compiled my misc. parts laying around in place, on the bike. All the little stuff that doesn't show that is so time consuming.

Think I removed the rear master cylinder three times before I had hose routed properly in and around brake arm. Those old rubber grommets needed a little wd40 to slide in, I was afraid I was going to break it before I got it installed. I mounted one of the windscreens I had to get the holes correct. Because of body work on cowl I had to re drill two of them. Need to locate a rear brake reservoir so I will watch ebay for awhile till one comes up. Was really lucky to locate some cip ons that I can clean up nicely, thanks to Joe.

Ordered an original seat recovered in black that looks pretty good considering it was 35 bucks, till I get find the funds, materials or both to get a good looking seat on it. Still need to mount oil cooler, a front fairing piece, rear shock bolts, front fender and a bunch of misc. stuff. Also scrounged a front master cylinder as mine was not stock.

Need to pull out my stainless supertrap pipes and mount those. At least I can tell what kind of bike I have now anyway.
                          Attached Files

Comment

That's one Sexy Bitch! Great Job!
                            My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
                            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
                            2007 GSXR 750

Comment

I hear ya. Looking forward to seeing it complete, with a new or better than new seat and new windscreen. Thanks man.

Comment

Oh man that just gives me a chubby! I love working on my bikes and seeing all the "stuff" you are doing just made me head out to the garage and work on a bike. Thanks for the pics and keep them coming, that Kat is a beast!!!!
                                79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Working...
                                X