No announcement yet.
X

My '93 GSX600F project

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, two summer seasons later the bike is still going strong and all my modifications seems to work according to plan. After rebuilding the front legs, including the slider bushings it's an even better ride.
    Also I threw a set of Nissin calipers on there, just to try them out, as I've read on here that those should be better than the Tokico ones. Though I'm not sure I can make out any difference. The only difference I've found, comparing the calipers, are the seals. Tokico seals have a small taper that the Nissin ones don't have. Probably to retract the pistons? Any input is very welcome.

Though there are a few things I have planned to change and/or modify. The clearance between the shock and the suspension knuckle is a bit tight, so I think a new upper shock mount might be the way to go.
    In relation to this, does anyone know how to figure out proper geometry for the rear suspension? Somewhere I can read up on how the progression stuff works, and affects the bike?

The rearset mounting is going to be re-done, the current position is a bit cramped for touring with my height but that's no more than welding in new mounts. I already got a set of plates made up, to lower them by an inch.

Comment

have you played with your spare motor?i just picked up an 88 600 that needs a whole top end(bought it without head and one of the pistons was stuck in its cylinder and i broke a few fins getting it off)i need to get a new head,cylinders and pistons anyway so i might as well go bigger seeing that is allready apart.bike looks sweet,by the way.love the work
      1988 katana 600 that wants to grow up to be a streetfighter

Comment

The spare motor havn't been touched yet due to having too many other things to do and underestimating my spare time.
        But this winter I will have to get going because the thread on the countershaft "broke" (the nut securing the sprocket have come loose and spun, ruining the thread, or so I think - havn't looked into it yet but the nut wont thread on the shaft). So I'll get to work on the spare motor as soon as possible, have to be ready for next riding season.

Comment

Due to lack of time I've only done some routine service and replaced some service items.
          Also gave the electrics a look over and installed a proper relay box instead of having them all dangle around. Cleaned up and replaced some connectors and installed new cables for the coils.

The voltage drop to the coils and the headlight is now next to nothing. Only a few things left before it's ready for a new season.

I just hope that the temperature will rise soon, it's still too cold to be riding.

Comment

Threw on the fairings and brought bike home today. I quite like the new gearing, 48T rear seems good enough.

Took a few photos before I brought it home, apologies for the mediocre quality but my proper camera is presently in Uganda.

Comment

In the wake of the world wide Suzuki recall on GSXR 04-> front brake cylinders I realized that I presently have one on the bike.
              According to Suzuki the recall is due to insufficient coating on the piston causing corrosion, so I pulled everything apart for cleaning and inspection. At a quick glance it looks fine but I'll have a chat with the local Suzi dealer about getting a new piston.

Comment

Ever since installing the GSXR forks I've been annoyed with how I "temporarily" mounted the instrument cluster. Basically it was a piece of sheet metal bolted to the head light frame. Needless to say it had a very temporary look to it.

Having grown tired of it and having some extra time on my hands I thought that I'd try making something in GRP. Being the lazy bum I am, I skipped making a proper mould.
                Instead I built up the shape I wanted in situ and masked it all off with plastic. I used epoxy rather than polyester for no other reason than I had it on the shelf.

A few photos of the process and trial fitting of instrument. This also lets me route some of the wiring in a neater way. Finishing and paint have yet to come.

Comment

Removed the stickers and a quick and sloppy respray later it's ready for this season.

And I just noticed that I forgot the oil filler cover, and I have to remember to unmount the center stand.

Comment

Hey those mods your making look pretty good, like the sound of swapping a set of 750 cylinders over? Was it a straight swap no other changed needed? Might hunt for a set and change my own over.

John

Comment

Originally posted by johnbhoy View Post
                      Hey those mods your making look pretty good, like the sound of swapping a set of 750 cylinders over? Was it a straight swap no other changed needed? Might hunt for a set and change my own over.

John
                      I did not get around to actually testing this in the real world, as I stumbled upon a complete 749cc/short stroke engine. Further investigation into the possibilities will be needed, and as I now have a surplus long stroke crank it might be more tempting to try and combine the big bore cylinders with a long stroke crank.

Comment

With the GSXR750 front end, and the clipons in OE position below the top triple, the riding position is not really friendly to my body.
                        Knowing I had an extra top triple, I dug it up and made two holes in it for bar risers.
                        I need to do some rewiring, as to avoid having far too long wires hanging around. Next up will be to figure out the lights and how to cut the fairings to cover the really ugly parts of the tank and frame.

As of right now it looks like..

The wannabe SF look might not be everyone's cup of tea, but so far I think the riding position will be much better (for me).

Comment

Current status, luckily spring time is far away so still time to sort out most of the details.

Comment

Slow progress.. New silencer fitted, originally from a K1-K2 GSXR 1000. I have high hopes for this, to quiet the bike down. Even though I fitted a db killer in the Laser silencer it was way too loud for me. And it's very light for an OEM exhaust.

The seats is in for refitting of the covers and a new billet top triple is on the way.

Some photos.

Last edited by Jimmie; 03-02-2015, 10:05 AM. Reason: edit pic link

Comment

Interesting cut on the fairings. What made you decide to cut the bottom of the tail fairings off? Are you planning on modifying some belly fairings to fit? I think it would probably help the look.
                              - Purplehaze
                              All-Black 1993 Suzuki Katana 600 (Click for pictorial fun!)

Comment

Tail fairings were cut when I modified the sub frame a couple of years ago (to fit the B12 swinger).

I quite like the look without the belly pan, so it'll stay off (I do have it though). But I am contemplating painting it all the same color. Right now it's at least five or six shades of black...

Comment

Working...
                                X