X

Run-flat tires for bikes???

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Run-flat tires for bikes???

Anyone know of any brands out there yet? I was just involved in a discussion on one of my car websites about the pros and cons of run-flats and it ocurred to me that I don't know of any available for bikes.

I can only guess that they're in development....
    '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
    PurpleonBlack

pros: you are less likley to wreck in a blow out accident with these on. you can ride for a good couple miles when they loose air.
    pro/conolice who use stop sticks pretty much have to retire their stop sticks due to vehicles being able to keep going after hitting the stop sticks with run flats on. i believe these tires may be outlawed in some states. just a rumor but i guess it makes sense

Comment

there's other methods of disabling cars than spike strips. what's more likely, a car chase or getting a flat? I'm pretty sure getting a flat outweighs car chases by at least 1000%. So it'd be ridiculous for them to outlaw run flat tires just because of law enforcement issues. If they do really ban them in some states for that reason, there's something seriously wrong with this country.
      What the deuce!?!

Comment

I don't see how they can ban them. Some cars come from the factory with run-flats. What are you supposed to do if you cross state lines into a state that has them banned? Change tires over the border??

Seems like it would have to be a national ban and that doesn't make sense.

What got me thinking about them for bikes is the blow-out situation. The ride harshness and stiff sidewall shouldn't effect the ride quality on a bike as much as a car so only the different rim design and expense seem to be keeping them off the bike. Also, a tire pressure monitoring system (I guess this would fall under 'expense') would be needed. I would not be surprised if someone like BMW started offering run-flats on their bikes in the near future.
        '95 Suzuki GSXF Katana 600
        PurpleonBlack

Comment

Working...
        X