X

Finally dropped it but I did good later on

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally dropped it but I did good later on

Yep. Dropped the bike. But it was actually pretty silly how it happened. I wheeled my bike out of my buddys basement yesterday into his back yard. Started it up. Still wanted to stall on me. So I continued to let it warm up. I didn't want to ride it through the grass, so I'd figured I'd give it a little throttle and walk it to the front. There's a little bit of an incline so as I was pushing with my feet, I unknowingly gave it more gas and ended up bouncing and spinning the bike before I went down. It was in soft grass so there wasn't any damage. Like I said, it was a silly way to drop it.

So I begin the ride home (50 miles) and with about 10 miles to go, it starts raining. My first time in the rain. It was dark out and I was on a road with very few light posts and lots of curves. After a few miles on that road, I got off and had to take the on-ramp to the freeway and ride that for a couple of miles. Now my heart is pumping. I could see myself dropping the bike on the on-ramp because that's a sharp turn and there's no light posts. I slowed, down-shifted, tap the brakes a little bit, held in the clutch and let my momentum carry me through. Maintained a reasonable speed on the freeway but didn't go too fast. Made the turn into the neighborhood and parked in the driveway. Then I said to myself, "I need a drink".
    Submariners do it deeper

Re: Finally dropped it but I did good later on

Originally posted by My2K
    It was in soft grass so there wasn't any damage. Like I said, it was a silly way to drop it.
    Hey, that's the best way to drop a bike. No damage!
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

if you gotta drop it, soft grass is the best place. glad there was no damage and you got home safely.

Comment

Welcome to the "I dropped my bike club" , we have lots of members

I slowed, down-shifted, tap the brakes a little bit, held in the clutch and let my momentum carry me through
        This is something you really want to practice and work on whenever you go out riding. You dont want to freewheel through a corner because you have really no control over the bike and with everything else happening around you, you want to make sure you have complete control at all times. Depending on what gear you were in, if you let out the clutch and give it too much gas, you can lose the rear end pretty easily. Just slow down to a safe comfortable speed and lightly use the throttle to help push you through the corner and keep your momentum.

It will come in time, with practice

Comment

Yeah we've all been there...me in the driveway..standing still...needed a drink too...Like WildKat said take it easy on the freewheeling,it may seem smooth but if you start to loose it you have nothing to fall back on.Engaging the clutch in that situation around a radius after freewheel you are not sure your engine speed will match the speed you are traveling...that would suck....Highside?

Comment

Glad you didnt have any damage to your bike...and made it home safe and sound

Comment

Working...
            X