X

How To: RF900 swingarm swap to pre-98 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How To: RF900 swingarm swap to pre-98 600

Well this all started when I got concerned with the clearance between my sprocket and my stock 600 swingarm after doing a rf900 rear wheel swap. SO I decided it was time to upgrade the ol' steel Kat swingarm with one off of a '95 RF900.

Here is what I did.

I was rather concerned with the previous posts on how to do this. Mainly because everyone is displaying their dimensions using the English system....and these bikes are metric. So here are the basic dimensions of a '95 RF900 swingarm (note these are only approximate: I was using a tape measure)

In order for the swingarm to fit onto the Kat frame, you need to make spacers to fill in the gap and either modify your cross tube like Waltari has (very nice work by the way) or remove the rear subframe all together like I did (look in the pictures section under modified/customs). The spacers I made had to fill in the gap between the stock pivot bolt and the bearing spacers for the RF900 pivot bearings. Here are the dimensions of mine and the stock RF900 bushing:

Note the fact that my spacer is longer then the RF900 bushing, this was done in order to hold the spacer in place that resides between the two pivot bearings.

Here are some more images:

I will post more pictures once I have it all mounted up.

Keep the shiny side up.

Cool .'Preciate the info .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

good to know, the biggest thing that i would do this swap is for the use of straight dogbones, not the curved ones that are stock. i am considering swapping to a post98 rear.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by BarMatt80
        good to know, the biggest thing that i would do this swap is for the use of straight dogbones, not the curved ones that are stock. i am considering swapping to a post98 rear.
        I am curious to see how the rf900 match up with the stock, if they don't, the modification should not be that big of a deal.

Comment

I have a 1993 600 that I am rebuilding. Will this mod work on my year? If so can you send me some details.
          1993 kat 600
          1990 GSXR 750
          2008 Z1000

Comment

Originally posted by XCopy View Post
            I am curious to see how the rf900 match up with the stock, if they don't, the modification should not be that big of a deal.
            Based on the location of my lower mount on the frame, I found it easiest to make a set that had a slight offset (curve) to them. Of course, the one thing I never thought to take photos of....

Comment

Working...
            X