X

laptop on your bike

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• laptop on your bike

has anybody ever taken their laptop in a backpack or some other form on their bike multiple times? i am going to start college in the fall and was wondering if the vibration will hurt the computer. we are looking at probably 30 mins a day on the bike.
    "you build a life of success a day at a time"
    Tim Hultz

I have taken mine in my laptop backpack... Hasn't hurt it, but if I were a betting man I'd say long term could possibly damage it.

My current ride of choice

Comment

Nope it wont just wrap it in something and put it in and strap it tight ight.
      sigpic

Comment

DO NOT put it in a tank bag. The magnets will cause damage to your hard drive. Trust me.

Go to your looking outdoor camping store. They should carry a line of "commuter" backpacks. I have one that is very low profile to cut down on the wind and is designed for a laptop. Works great.

This is the one I have...

Commuter Laptop Backpack

Comment

Yeah, I would definitely stick with a backpack if you're going to take it with you. I would think having it on your back rather than your bike would mean less vibration for it.

Comment

backpack okay

I have been riding to and from work for 4 yrs now with the same laptop in my backpack. I spent a little money and bought a Targus computer backpack from bestbuy. It has a padded centre area with a velcro strap to hold it tight. Never had an issue. By the way the backpack is nice black with reflective silver parts lots of good zippers.

RIP - CyberPoet 20/09/2009

Comment

Does it come in orange.

Comment

AHF is correct carrying it in a backpack will minimize the amount of vibrations that the computer sees. I would also recommend a good dry bag or even a large zip lock just incase of a freak storm.

Comment

If you take the above suggestion make sure it's a non-static bag or you'll likely trash the computer...

Maybe I'm just toooooo protective of my 4000 dollar laptop but I still think that minimizing the vibration isn't the same as eliminating it. And that's what I'm all about. ZERO vibration. This thing is going to last me at least 3 years.

My current ride of choice

Comment

Originally posted by Junior
                    DO NOT put it in a tank bag. The magnets will cause damage to your hard drive. Trust me.
                    You can't use magnetic tank bags on Daytonas because they have plastic tanks. They won't work. This must have happened to you recently on your new Vulcan then?
                    TiM

Comment

Originally posted by sexwax
                      Originally posted by Junior
                      You can't use magnetic tank bags on Daytonas because they have plastic tanks. They won't work. This must have happened to you recently on your new Vulcan then?
                      Actually, it happened back when I had my Kat. Thankfully the Vulcan has hardbags on it so I don't need to worry about those pesky tankbags anymore.

Comment

Targus makes a very nice Laptop Backpack. I got mine at CompUSA. Has a padded compartment for the laptop and a couple of other compartments for incidentals. I have a pack cover I picked up at the camping supply store for it if it rains.

Embrace the opportunity to work from anywhere & discover the top computer accessories, laptop bags, docking stations, & more from Targus. Learn more.

Comment

Swiss Gear makes a nice one too....

About $70, at Best Buy.

Comment

I found the Swiss and the Targus were WAAAAAAAAAAAY to bulky while riding.

I tested both before I bought my low-profile one (being part of the tech team at work has it's benefits ) and didn't like the way the Targus and Swiss bounced and pulled while on the highway.

Plus, the one I have is a neoprene material w/waterproof zippers....no need for a raincover.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

I take my IMac every day inside my backpack with a Targus case, no problem at all.
                              Tito "Every day I get up and look through the Forbes list of the richest people in America. If I'm not there, I go to work."

Comment

Working...
                              X