X

Rear wheel bearings

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear wheel bearings

When I took my rims apart to get them powder coated I removed the two bearings and large spacer from the rear rim. I am having a hell of a time putting the rear bearings back in, should I just hammer them? I think the bearing on the brake disc side sits flush with the lip of the rim, but the bearing on the sprocket side sits in the disc itself...make sense? I hope I am asking that right. Am I safe to beat on that bearing with a rubber hammer to try to get it to sit tight, and should it sit in there so the spacer is wedged between the two bearings? Thanks for any and all help.

The optimal method for putting the bearings in, is by pressing them in. A hydrolic press, or a mechanical press for instance. A simple home made mech "press" can simply be a large bolt, with spacers on either side... tighten down the nut on the bolt to compress the spacers and push both bearings in at the same time.

If that isn't an option, then you can try using a pipe or socket that matches the outter diam of the bearing, and gently using small taps "hammer" the bearing back in. This could potentially cause a problem if you don't make sure it's evenly going back in, or get to agressive with it.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
      The optimal method for putting the bearings in, is by pressing them in. A hydrolic press, or a mechanical press for instance. A simple home made mech "press" can simply be a large bolt, with spacers on either side... tighten down the nut on the bolt to compress the spacers and push both bearings in at the same time.

If that isn't an option, then you can try using a pipe or socket that matches the outter diam of the bearing, and gently using small taps "hammer" the bearing back in. This could potentially cause a problem if you don't make sure it's evenly going back in, or get to agressive with it.

Krey
      I used a socket that matches the outter diameter of the bearing as Krey said but if you put the bearing in the freezer for 1 hour and heat up the area where the bearings seat it will be much easier to install and that way you do not need a press.
      1st - 1983 Honda NightHawk 550 - Restored and sold
      2nd - 1992 Suzuki GSX1200G - Fixed it and sold
      3rd - 1991 Suzuki Katana 600 ( streetfighter ) - Fixing and keeping
      4th - 1992 Suzuki Katana 600 - Fixing and keeping

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

Krey

Like the man said, a socket that matches the OUTER diameter. Not one that sits on the side plates, not one that sits on the inside. Otherwise you can... umm...... make little indents in the track the balls run in. (I used to know the term for that kind of bearing damage.... it sounds like "brunette" but that's not it...)

BTW- if they powder coated the part that the bearing sits in, it will likely be VERY tight. It's already a tight fit, so after adding the thickness of the powder coating, it would be even more so.
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

First off you really need to replace the bearings with new not use the old ones, any damage to the old bearings caused by removal COULD cause it to collapse, which i can tell you from experiance is no fun at 50-60mph, if this does happen the bearing seat usually gets screwed, so does your nice shiny wheel & possibly the rest of the bike & yourself, really not worth it for the price of two bearings ( 3 if you replace the sprocket carrier bearing too)

Any powdercoat in the bearing seat needs to be removed or it will never seat properly, freezing the bearing then lightly tapping it home with a suitable sized drift will work a treat

tone
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

LNL - the word you are looking for is brinell - sort of like a hammered finish. Definitely not good for the longevity of the assembly.
            2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
            2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

Thanks for all the help and replies. The bearings were in good shape so I didn't replace them. I probably should have anyway with all the other work I'm doing but I didn't. I used the long bolt method Kreylyn recommended, hadn't even thought about doing that, worked great.

Comment

Just a side note, I'm now an Allballs distributor so if anyone needs any bearings for wheels, headstock, etc. shoot me a PM.

Comment

Tone is right on the bearing removal. You do cause damage to the bearing if you hammered it out. Everyone that uses a hammer hits the inner sleeve and it beats the crap out of the opposite side bearing. Use new bearings.

Comment

Originally posted by diavolo View Post
                    LNL - the word you are looking for is brinell - sort of like a hammered finish. Definitely not good for the longevity of the assembly.
                    Good lookin out!
                    Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Working...
                    X