X

RPM and changing gears

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPM and changing gears

What is the optimum RPM for each gear on the kat to achieve the optimum acceleration from the first gear through the six gear?
    A dyno graph will be very helpful.

Edited:
    I have a stock 03 kat. I am looking for a general numbers

hi

anybody know ? i would like to know toooo

Comment

You would have to dyno the bike to know for sure. Dinfrint on each and every bike. But it is normally a little less than 1k less than red. On my 1k it is around 12.7k with a 13.5k redline. I never ran my Kat in a way that I studdied that. But I watch it closely now.

You want to shift gears right when the HP starts to drop to achieve the max.
      Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
      6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
      5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

There are members on here that have Dyno'd their kats..but it really all depends on the mods you've done, and since every bike is different you cant really nail down an exact number per say.. but from personal experience on '00 Kat, going too close to redline doesnt accomplish as much as you would think.

Comment

i rev mine high, not redline but prolly something like 9-10k. just experiment and see what feels best/fastest for you.

i ride in a car with someone who insists on shifting very very early for each gear. it causes the car to jolt around so much it drives me nuts every time im in the car with him lol.
          03 katanika

Comment

I like to push mine past the redline to make sure I am getting the last bit of power outa the engine that I can.

I wonder why I keep breaking valves though
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

I believe the Katana reaches optimal power at 10,500 RPM.
              "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

if it is stock then it is in the manual(if you have one)

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                  I like to push mine past the redline to make sure I am getting the last bit of power outa the engine that I can.

I wonder why I keep breaking valves though
                  you do realize that redlining has you going past your powerband, don't you? there is a drop-off point, and that point is before redline.
                  my 1100 redlines at 11 or 11.5k I think, but my otimum power is 136bhp@9500rpm.

the 600 kat is as follows:

88-90 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                  91-99 is 86hp@10500 rpm
                  00-01 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                  02-04 is 78hp@10500 rpm

the 750's are 106hp@10500 rpm up to 1997
                  1998 up to present are 92hp@10500rpm

you can view the specs here:

Probably the biggest Suzuki motorcycle fan site of the world. Thousands of pages with technical information, pictures, magazine adverts and brochure scans of most Suzuki bikes ever sold in different parts of the world. Thousands of bike pictures and stories posted by the readers.
                  I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

had mine at 12.5 ever hit the rev limiter? It sucks! I usually keep it around 9.5 to 10,on my bike that feels about right.

Comment

you do realize that redlining has you going past your powerband, don't you? there is a drop-off point, and that point is before redline.

88-90 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                      91-99 is 86hp@10500 rpm
                      00-01 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                      02-04 is 78hp@10500 rpm

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand that acceleration is a function of HP and torque. This means that in the first gear the bike will never reach its max HP, and the max output of HP is located at different RPMs; depends on which gear the engine in on. Hence, for optimum acceleration, ex. drag racing, the rider must shift at different RPMs, which is a function of the gear selection, HP, and torque.
                      I want to know each RPM number that is suitable for each gear.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnE1000

88-90 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                        91-99 is 86hp@10500 rpm
                        00-01 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                        02-04 is 78hp@10500 rpm

Correct me if I am wrong. I understand that acceleration is a function of HP and torque. This means that in the first gear the bike will never reach its max HP, and the max output of HP is located at different RPMs; depends on which gear the engine in on. Hence, for optimum acceleration, ex. drag racing, the rider must shift at different RPMs, which is a function of the gear selection, HP, and torque.
                        I want to know each RPM number that is suitable for each gear.

actually, i do believe you are wrong. you kind of have it backwards. you will hit peak hp in 1st easier than you will up through the gears. good luck hitting it in 5th or 6th unless you have one hell of a stretch of open road.
                        if you bike is supposed to be X amount of hp at X amount of rpms...that is what it is....whether it is in 1st gear or 10th...if it went that high.

I do believe you are thinking of the torque if you want that kind of answer. that is what changes as you progress through gears...not the hp.
                        to hit peak hp through each gear, you have to hit 10.5k rpm through each gear.....but this does not mean you will hit max torque. peak torque is often at a lower rpm than peak hp. that is why there is different shifting at different rpms through the gears. you want to shift when the torque has reached it's peak...just before it drops off. and in this case, there are many variables....such as gearing, tire height, weight of rider/bike.

I have more torque around 7.5-8k rpm than i do at 9.5rpm.
                        I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Mojo is right.

It doesnt matter what gear you are in. That is why a shift light is so usefull at the strip. It lights up at pre set rpm every time. Like I said before. You want to shift right when the hp curve starts to fall for optimum performance. It will be a hair different for every bike but close.
                          Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                          6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                          5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

had mine at 12.5 ever hit the rev limiter? It sucks! I usually keep it around 9.5 to 10,on my bike that feels about right.
                            Yep you'll know it when you hit the limiter when you feel the, umph so to speak when your still on the gas and bike has nothing left in that gear.
                            Its amazing the power that a kat has when you get it up to 9-10 grand but after its really time to shift.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
                              88-90 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                              91-99 is 86hp@10500 rpm
                              00-01 is 80hp@10500 rpm
                              02-04 is 78hp@10500 rpm

you can view the specs here: http://www.suzukicycles.org/GSX-series/index.html
                              Note that these are factory-published specs, determined solely by Suzuki using in-house dynometers strapped straight to the engine (without drive-line loses included), and that the method for determining/reporting HP values changed in the mid- to late-90's as more and more manufacturers got caught out lying in their press packets/ads/brochures/etc. by various magazines (when it became common practice for magazines to dyno every bike independently).

That said, the theoretical maximum performance would be acheived by riding the richest portion of the torque curve through each gear, which generally falls between 7200 RPM and 9300 RPM on the late model 600's (and somewhere in that general range for most of the kat engines that I've seen dyno graphs for). Thus, running into this RPM range and keeping it there as you shift through the gears should give you the fastest acceleration through all the gears.
                              On the other hand, there are reasons to avoid these kind of RPM's in 1st & 2nd gear, if Suzuki is to be believed (claimed possible issues with drive-line lash feeding back into the engine and possibly damaging the valve train on closed-throttle from high RPM's in the bottom 2 gears).

Cheers
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                              X