X

Exhaust plates

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust plates

I'm having trouble remembering which way the exhaust plates face the cylinder head, where they meet up with the manifold, gasket, and clamp. I have both the Clymers and Haynes manuals but they do not specify. The microfiches are hard to tell, but they do appear to go beveled side toward cylinder head. Any clues?

well cc's would be nice, the 600's don't have plates you can't take them off the header. Judging for your other post I'm guessing you have a 750, which would make sense considering they have plates. I checked the fiche and I checked the manual, and it don't say, so that leades me to believe that it doesn't matter. Send HS2020 a message, if someone know's he does. He has a pre 750 and he's done a lot of exhaust work.
    Last edited by arsenic; 12-28-2007, 12:18 AM.

Comment

I think he means the half-moon spacer things . They fit kinda weird . As I recall , they'll only work one way . The purpose of the things is to push the headers all the way in . So they gotta face so they'll push the headers as the clamps are bolted into the head . I just can't remember off the top of my head which way they face , though .....But I'm WANTING to say they go with the flat part facing out . Just been a few months since I messed with that . A glob of grease will help hold them in place , though . It's a MAJOR ***** to hold them in place while slipping the header in , then the clamps , then the bolts ..... Globs of grease will stick them to the headers long enough to situate the clamp and bolts .
      I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hi From Memory The Go Flat Side Out We Use A Copper Exhaust Silcone To Hold Them In Place While Fitting The Headers Etc
        Good Luck
        Jezza'

Comment

Thanks for the help

I tinkered with it for most of the day today, and as most you guys had already determined, the plates (on my 750) do go flat side out. It was a freakin PITA to get them to stay. I used grease, but I didn't use a reasonable amount since I didn't know what it would do once the exhaust got hot. So needless to say, the grease didn't do much for me. After many, many tries, I got them to stay in place. I'm pretty much done with the mechanical, now its pretty much just body work and the paint.

Comment

Well , the grease will just burn off . Use as much as you need to get them to stay in place , it ain't gonna hurt anything . You know , for future reference ....
            And though I actually prefer the sound and look of the stock pipe , them plates are the main reason I put the Yosh back on . I HATED those things .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
            X